2023 England v Tonga Internationals

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
I agree. Koula played every game at fullback in last year's WC & has developed as an attacking player since then. The Haumole-Koula combination could have been dynamite, but Wolff chose to ignore it. I only saw a small part of yesterday's game, but it appeared Tonga's attack was very clunky. It would have been better to play Hopoate as a defensive centre with Suli on the wing (have always thought Suli could be most potent as a power winger rather than a centre). Hopefully, Latu gets an opportunity off the bench in game three.

When Tonga beat Australia in Auckland in 2019 ... Kotoni Staggs was their halfback. Now he's the Kangaroos centre.

The truth is that Tonga really don't have decent halves so their attack being clunky right now is no surprise.

When Tonga beat Australia in Auckland in 2019 ... Kotoni Staggs was their halfback. Now he's the Kangaroos centre.

The truth is that Tonga really don't have decent halves so their attack being clunky right now is no surprise.
Agreed. If they had a decent spine they would be a real force. As it is they are having to make do with whoever they can although the omission of Koula at full back is a serious oversight.

Latu will make his debut for Tonga off the bench today. Here is his coach talking about him

Thank you @40 nil
The Tongan coach believes the young player is ready to play with big men in the big arena and excited to see Latu play

He also said that after seeing his skill set he can understand why the Tigers went all out to sign him.

I am sure Tiger supporters will be salivating and licking their dry premiership winning lips with great anticipation
1699064598934.png

Latu will make his debut for Tonga off the bench today. Here is his coach talking about him

I still reckon Latu will be a very good NRL player for a long time, so it'll be interesting to see how he goes. For all the hype and highlight reel stuff around him, what's impressed me most as he's got older and started playing against men is his defence. He's an excellent defender, with a real appetite for tackling.

A very pedestrian side, esp. the backs, selected for Tonga. Koula is still on the wing with Hurrell & Suli in the centres and Hopoate at fullback. Hopefully, Fainu can provide some spark from the bench. I would be surprised if they trouble England, esp. without AFB. It appears Wolff's selections are on the conservative side. Wonder how he'll fare coaching the Dolphins in 2025?

You call that piss poor?? That was a full house compared with the family and friends who showed up in NZ!! That UK crowd looked pretty decent seeing as the weather looked typically English.

Agreed, when they had the intro and anthems that side looked a little bareish. But definitely the rest of the stadium looked decent.

Tough game at fullback with that many tries scored. Koula usually got one of em but nobody got the other guys.

It was obvious after the first test that Will Hopoate's lack of pace was a liability at fullback, yet Woolf persisted in playing him there for the entire series.

I'm not sure Koula had any roving commission, I just think he went looking for the ball more because he was catching colds out on the left wing with the Tongan attack constantly going to the right side. Either way he was wasted in this series. Should have been the fullback from the start, if not from the 2nd test.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8