2023 Confidence level.....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Out of interest where do you reckon we'll be this time next year?

• Total voters
Very confident of top 8 finish. Got a Jekyll and Hyde streak going since 2016. No reason to think 2023 will be any different.

Tom to play the full year and win the Dally M.

Last edited:
Based on 2022 things look very uninspiring
However I feel there may be a strike outside back (or 2), plus a forward addition to add grunt on top of the Tuilagi signing , which I reckon will be more positive than most think
Obviously add Tom to the mix and a fitter Schu who gets his wish as starting 5/8 and there is immediately a far more dynamic attack
Other key injured players like Paseka and Aloiai and Lawton who missed many games and will again add strength
I do think we need if not a new dummy half, an explosive interchange option at 9 off the bench....Tong must be close to a gig and Nathaniel Roach who has been in the wilderness could be a spark and a suprise packet, he can make a line break and is a gifted attacking player who through injury, has limited his progress and is a good buy imo

Once all the dust has settled and the media has milked this for every ounce of blood. We'll regroup and we'll be exactly where we were at Round 1 this year. Eg a sometimes brilliant but often disjointed and flakey football team with talent that relies on individual brilliance more than a cohesive plan.

It's just that next year we wont have any expectations.

If the cards fall our and key players stay fit way we may make the 8. Probably unlikely. If things go against us we'll collapse and run near the bottom. I don't how you can predict what we'll do. Could be absolutely anything.

Lots of media crap this week but just out of interest where do you really reckon we'll be this time next year?

Assumptions being no decent recruits outside of what we already know, only the loss of the players we already know are leaving and Dessie still coaching?
Based on recent history, we’re due for a good year.

2017 - good.
2018 - very bad to atrocious - de-Trentified.
2019 - re-Haslerised - pretty good.
2020 - bad, verging on very bad.
2021 - very good.
2022 - bad, but despite everything, not 2018 bad.

Once all the dust has settled and the media has milked this for every ounce of blood. We'll regroup and we'll be exactly where we were at Round 1 this year. Eg a sometimes brilliant but often disjointed and flakey football team with talent that relies on individual brilliance more than a cohesive plan.

It's just that next year we wont have any expectations.

If the cards fall our and key players stay fit way we may make the 8. Probably unlikely. If things go against us we'll collapse and run near the bottom. I don't how you can predict what we'll do. Could be absolutely anything.
That’s a bit each way but probably on the money.

Think we are a few forwards short from being really competitive.

We after all will have lost Tapau / Davey / Boyle ( not that he counts much ) for 1 incoming in Tuilagi.

Surely there’s more than him coming with as many as we are losing !!

Based on recent history, we’re due for a good year.

2017 - good.
2018 - very bad to atrocious - de-Trentified.
2019 - re-Haslerised - pretty good.
2020 - bad, verging on very bad.
2021 - very good.
2022 - bad, but despite everything, not 2018 bad.
Last 7 weeks were dire.

But I saw 3 games at brookie, all very good wins, so I’ll concentrate on that.

That’s a bit each way but probably on the money.

Think we are a few forwards short from being really competitive.

We after all will have lost Tapau / Davey / Boyle ( not that he counts much ) for 1 incoming in Tuilagi.

Surely there’s more than him coming with as many as we are losing !!

Okay, let's break this up:

Fullback - we have a GOOD fullback in Tom, who NEVER plays, and chews up miles of cap. Who knows how long he'll last - but he makes Foz look like Iron Man. We now have a winger, who can step up, and do an "adequate" job - and that's the best Garrick is at fullback - adequate. We also have Weekes, who looked great in an awful team. We are okay here.

Wingers - we are okay with Saab (who will be returning from long term injury), and Garrick (returning from surgery). At a pinch, we can pull in that plodder Tuipulotu (but he's a huge step back). We are okay here.

Centres - we have one decent centre in Koula. The others (Parker, Harper & Tuipulotu just aren't up to scratch are are more closely suited to a GOOD NSW Cup team). We need another centre.

Five Eight - we have Schuster, who needs to change a LOT in many ways to fulfill this role. We also have Weekes, who looks fantastic. We are okay here.

Halfback - We have DCE. The more I DON'T say on this bloke the better. He's a primary reason oin so many ways this team is miserable. We have Croker & Humphreys who can step up if required. I also think we should let DCE goes - chews up way too much cap and basically sucks. We are okay here.

Props: Firstly, Jake should be prop. He's way to slow and immobile to be playing lock. Also, Fittler showed how to use Jake properly (hopefully our scrub coach took note). Then we have Aloiai (who never takes the field like Tom), but then created massive drama off the field. Paseka needs to step up, and Keppie needs to become more consistent, and channel that aggression. We are probably good here. The fact that Bullemor can play in the middles makes prop quite deep - but they all need to improve.

Hooker: We have Croker, who tries his guts out, but adds absolutely nothing in attack or X-factor. He has no kicking game (short or long). Then we have some diminutive dude in our Flegg team people are suggesting should step up. This is out biggest hole and need. And we are heading into our 4th - 5th year without a proper resolution. We need a Hooker BADLY or we'll continue to get dominated by the top 4 teams, and now the top 8 teams.

Backrow: We have Olakau'atu, who could be anything. I just hope Des doesn't break him. We are bringing in an absolute plod in Tuilagi (don't let people sway you, just look at his numbers - he's a plod). Then I believe Jake should be a prop. For me, this suggests we need TWO backrowers (one being a lock). Hooker is priority, but a beastly lock is paramount. We need TWO backrowers

Utility: We'll have Lawton and Weekes - so for me, our 14 spot is actually up there with the better teams believe it or not. So we are okay here.

Priority wise:
1. Hooker
2. New lock to cover Jakes position
3. Centre
4. Backrower

Fullback - we have a GOOD fullback in Tom, who NEVER plays, and chews up miles of cap. Who knows how long he'll last - but he makes Foz look like Iron Man. We now have a winger, who can step up, and do an "adequate" job - and that's the best Garrick is at fullback - adequate. We also have Weekes, who looked great in an awful team. We are okay here.

Wingers - we are okay with Saab (who will be returning from long term injury), and Garrick (returning from surgery). At a pinch, we can pull in that plodder Tuipulotu (but he's a huge step back). We are okay here.

Centres - we have one decent centre in Koula. The others (Parker, Harper & Tuipulotu just aren't up to scratch are are more closely suited to a GOOD NSW Cup team). We need another centre.

Five Eight - we have Schuster, who needs to change a LOT in many ways to fulfill this role. We also have Weekes, who looks fantastic. We are okay here.

Halfback - We have DCE. The more I DON'T say on this bloke the better. He's a primary reason oin so many ways this team is miserable. We have Croker & Humphreys who can step up if required. I also think we should let DCE goes - chews up way too much cap and basically sucks. We are okay here.

Props: Firstly, Jake should be prop. He's way to slow and immobile to be playing lock. Also, Fittler showed how to use Jake properly (hopefully our scrub coach took note). Then we have Aloiai (who never takes the field like Tom), but then created massive drama off the field. Paseka needs to step up, and Keppie needs to become more consistent, and channel that aggression. We are probably good here. The fact that Bullemor can play in the middles makes prop quite deep - but they all need to improve.

Hooker: We have Croker, who tries his guts out, but adds absolutely nothing in attack or X-factor. He has no kicking game (short or long). Then we have some diminutive dude in our Flegg team people are suggesting should step up. This is out biggest hole and need. And we are heading into our 4th - 5th year without a proper resolution. We need a Hooker BADLY or we'll continue to get dominated by the top 4 teams, and now the top 8 teams.

Backrow: We have Olakau'atu, who could be anything. I just hope Des doesn't break him. We are bringing in an absolute plod in Tuilagi (don't let people sway you, just look at his numbers - he's a plod). Then I believe Jake should be a prop. For me, this suggests we need TWO backrowers (one being a lock). Hooker is priority, but a beastly lock is paramount. We need TWO backrowers

Utility: We'll have Lawton and Weekes - so for me, our 14 spot is actually up there with the better teams believe it or not. So we are okay here.

Priority wise:
1. Hooker
3. Centre
4. Backrower
Yep don’t disagree with any of that.

Forwards ( hooker is one) we are short of , badly.

Would love a strike centre , but there’s few of them about , so I doubt we’ll manage that in 2023.

Think it’s likely we’ll get some forwards.

We “ might” get an up and coming hooker but no one of note.

There’s just so many that have left and I’m yet to be convinced that it’s only Tuilagi incoming.

Priority wise:
1. Hooker
3. Centre
4. Backrower
Hey, I started writing a response to your earlier post where you listed a possible team for next year and said that that team would finish 2nd last. I was going to say, I thought that was a bit tough coz as long as they can stay relatively fit, that team is a much better team than 2nd last. Anyway, you then did this pretty good analysis and to me, it doesn't sound like you think it's a 2nd last placed team. RE your position situation .....

FB - agree but with any player, you don't how long they'll last. So let's just hope Tom gets some luck next year.
Wingers - agree. But maybe you can shine some light on Saab. I noted in a post after the last home game, that I saw him out on the field with a minor limp, no crutches, no brace. It got me wondering if his injury was actually a long term prob.
Centres - agree - except I'm still a Parker fan in the absence of a class centre available. No, he's not a match winner but he is a solid defender, all guts and all Manly. If Koula goes up another level next year, Parker would be a solid support until someone quicker comes along. Maybe Weekes?? I don't know about that.
5/8 - agree. It's now over to Josh.
Half - agree but look, Cherry isn't going anywhere so we just have to hope something changes with his consistency.
Props - agree. Just 2 things - do you think Jake is up to a full game at prop? Fittler plays him off the bench but he'll be expected/or want to be playing the whole game. I'm not sure he's got the battering ram body for that. The other thing is Boyle. He's been another injury prone player but I watched him in that Roosters game and he was pretty good. He bent the line most runs and his tackling seemed ok. But I never heard anymore about him after that game. Part of the communication problems we've all discussed previously. Is he injured again? I've got no idea but if he's still around, he could still be a decent player. The games I watched with Tuitavake this year, I have to say, I couldn't see the talent noted. I thought Sione looked more dangerous and of course, he's gone. Anyway, in lieu of unknown players coming (as noted by @Mark from Brisbane) I think there are enough props to work with if they lift a level as you've noted.
Backrowers - agree. Guac could be anything but man, he has to stop starting from a flat footed run. It's one of the things that has driven me nuts about Des this year, seemingly, he hasn't coached more of the hole running into him. Or has it been Cherry not providing the opportunity? And Tuilagi - I know his stats aren't great but the few games I saw, he looks like he has some potential, so hopefully Des can get something more out of him.
Hooker - Again, Croker isn't going anywhere. Having just gotten the B&F in that position, Des won't be moving him. So I reckon Lawton will be the back up. I'm not as harsh on him as you are in attack but he certainly isn't up to some others like say, Mahoney. But he needs to be in that team for his defence and courage as a motivator to the rest of them.
And finally, I think one of the missing backrowers could be Zac Fulton. Yes, he's young and inexperinced but he showed enough in that Roosters cameo that he's got what it takes to take the step up. A good pre season and I reckon he'll be ready for a backrower spot some time next year. Anyway, for what's it's worth.

Hey, I started writing a response to your earlier post where you listed a possible team for next year and said that that team would finish 2nd last. I was going to say, I thought that was a bit tough coz as long as they can stay relatively fit, that team is a much better team than 2nd last. Anyway, you then did this pretty good analysis and to me, it doesn't sound like you think it's a 2nd last placed team. RE your position situation .....

FB - agree but with any player, you don't how long they'll last. So let's just hope Tom gets some luck next year.
Wingers - agree. But maybe you can shine some light on Saab. I noted in a post after the last home game, that I saw him out on the field with a minor limp, no crutches, no brace. It got me wondering if his injury was actually a long term prob.
Centres - agree - except I'm still a Parker fan in the absence of a class centre available. No, he's not a match winner but he is a solid defender, all guts and all Manly. If Koula goes up another level next year, Parker would be a solid support until someone quicker comes along. Maybe Weekes?? I don't know about that.
5/8 - agree. It's now over to Josh.
Half - agree but look, Cherry isn't going anywhere so we just have to hope something changes with his consistency.
Props - agree. Just 2 things - do you think Jake is up to a full game at prop? Fittler plays him off the bench but he'll be expected/or want to be playing the whole game. I'm not sure he's got the battering ram body for that. The other thing is Boyle. He's been another injury prone player but I watched him in that Roosters game and he was pretty good. He bent the line most runs and his tackling seemed ok. But I never heard anymore about him after that game. Part of the communication problems we've all discussed previously. Is he injured again? I've got no idea but if he's still around, he could still be a decent player. The games I watched with Tuitavake this year, I have to say, I couldn't see the talent noted. I thought Sione looked more dangerous and of course, he's gone. Anyway, in lieu of unknown players coming (as noted by @Mark from Brisbane) I think there are enough props to work with if they lift a level as you've noted.
Backrowers - agree. Guac could be anything but man, he has to stop starting from a flat footed run. It's one of the things that has driven me nuts about Des this year, seemingly, he hasn't coached more of the hole running into him. Or has it been Cherry not providing the opportunity? And Tuilagi - I know his stats aren't great but the few games I saw, he looks like he has some potential, so hopefully Des can get something more out of him.
Hooker - Again, Croker isn't going anywhere. Having just gotten the B&F in that position, Des won't be moving him. So I reckon Lawton will be the back up. I'm not as harsh on him as you are in attack but he certainly isn't up to some others like say, Mahoney. But he needs to be in that team for his defence and courage as a motivator to the rest of them.
And finally, I think one of the missing backrowers could be Zac Fulton. Yes, he's young and inexperinced but he showed enough in that Roosters cameo that he's got what it takes to take the step up. A good pre season and I reckon he'll be ready for a backrower spot some time next year. Anyway, for what's it's worth.
Think Boyle is moving on but like everything we don’t hear from the club.

Know what? I've lost my fight and spirit now. I'm defeated and devoid of both hope and ideas when it comes to the club..

They'll do what they want, regardless of performance.

No point caring anymore. You positive guys win. Y'all got exactly what you wanted now. More of the same, less 3 real quality players.

Enjoy.

Know what? I've lost my fight and spirit now. I'm defeated and devoid of both hope and ideas when it comes to the club..

They'll do what they want, regardless of performance.

No point caring anymore. You positive guys win. Y'all got exactly what you wanted now. More of the same, less 3 real quality players.

Enjoy.
Why not wait until we see the final 30 , no point slitting wrists just yet.

Why not wait until we see the final 30 , no point slitting wrists just yet.
Most clubs have their rosters settled already Mark for next season. There aren't any players of note left.

We are where we are.

Team has a hole (Canberra with Hodgson for example, they fill it).

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6