2021 squad

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ah the memories. Is that the 1973 team because it looks like Mayes behind Fulton

Sorry Bozo. I just experienced one of those geriatric moments where I couldn't see the trees for the forest. Of course it was 1973, otherwise they'd be wearing chooks outfits. Just having one of those supremely dumb moments.

Please correct me if I am wrong ...
From left to right Irvine , Zorba , Igor Eadie , Mayes , The Incomparable Immortal , Lurch , Brown , Ian Martin
I cant make out the other Grand Final Winning Legends
View attachment 15750
I think it is John (Sleepy) Bucknall on the far right though I haven't looked up the the 1973 team but it was about the time he was playing.

Ha. And you may have to wait another 9...
There are 16 teams and a salary cap. This ensures you will wait as long as it takes.

Des has been in charge 2 yrs and he has started seeing off the Baz signings.

Our time will come. And if you think your team deserves to win every year and be successful all the time, get in line with the other 15 clubs supporters.
Hilarious.
I can see your point... but I cannot feel it... as some fans Passions and expectations are high
I will tell you what is not Hilarious..... and that is the Storm has made the finals in the last 15 years and that was because they were not fazed by how many clubs there were .
They just focused was how great they can become by raising the bar higher and higher and that is something we have not been doing .

Don’t forget they cheated the salary cap at a higher percentage than any other club in the history of the game, got away with it, were allowed to keep the core spine of talent which helped them to establish a winning culture. There’s also that.

Its your decision to have such high standards Bozo, I am a little more realistic. I think the 1st Des era, into Toovey, the Baz disaster and now back to Des part 2 have all played their part in the last 9yrs.

You seem to always question why Manly can’t reach the heights of other clubs in relation to memberships, maybe most share your high standards and see the last 9yrs as inexcusable and should have produced more success...?
They did cheat the cap and got what they deserved but they also overcame adversity and rose quickly once again to their great heights .
Passionate supporters that have high standards and expectations follow suit and become club members . There should be no excuse for not being a club member . You are either passionate about your club or not . Passion is the biggest motive for becoming a club member . The passion of putting your club first in what you can do for your club to make it greater as great club people often do .
The reality is the Strom did not buy their spine but handpicked it and when they all became stars they kept the cap and the team together by getting no names for little money and turning them into big game performers that would not capitulate like the lot we have had .
Lets give credit where it is due . A 15 years straight finals footy club is no fluke .

Last edited:
I think it is John (Sleepy) Bucknall on the far right though I haven't looked up the the 1973 team but it was about the time he was playing.
Behind Max Brown, partly obscured, might be big Herman and tough guy coach Willey.

1 T Turbo
2 T Funa
3 D Walker
4 M Suli / M Harper
5 R Garrick
6 J Schuster
7 DCE
8 T Paseka
9 C Cust / M Fainu
10 M Taupau
11 H Olakau'atu
12 C Siroren
13 J Turbo

14 K Foran
15 S Keppie
16 M Boyle
17 A Davey

Others
A Hoppa
B Parker
J Taufua
M Harper
J Anderson
L Croker
B Turbo

Let’s do squad discussions in December, we should at least have our final 28 by then , surely !!!!

1 T Turbo
2 T Funa
3 D Walker
4 M Suli / M Harper
5 R Garrick
6 J Schuster
7 DCE
8 T Paseka
9 C Cust / M Fainu
10 M Taupau
11 H Olakau'atu
12 C Siroren
13 J Turbo

14 K Foran
15 S Keppie
16 M Boyle
17 A Davey

Others
A Hoppa
B Parker
J Taufua
M Harper
J Anderson
L Croker
B Turbo

Pretty close to how I would see it. I would be adding Fainu Jnr to the 'Others'. He's 21, so old enough. Just get someone else to drive him to the matches. Not sure Anderson will be with us and there's still questions about Hoppa staying. Then there's Weekes, Titmus and Koula on the rise.

Our recruitment and retention has been pretty average over the last few years with some contract extensions hard to understand. We seem to be off the pace on and off the field at present and things need to change quickly otherwise we will be cellar dwellers again next year.

1 T Turbo
2 T Funa
3 D Walker
4 M Suli / M Harper
5 R Garrick
6 J Schuster
7 DCE
8 T Paseka
9 C Cust / M Fainu
10 M Taupau
11 H Olakau'atu
12 C Siroren
13 J Turbo

14 K Foran
15 S Keppie
16 M Boyle
17 A Davey

Others
A Hoppa
B Parker
J Taufua
M Harper
J Anderson
L Croker
B Turbo

I thought Boyle was going to the dogs

1/3 of the season completed and the only players not to play in the top grade,

Taufua
Koula
Lawton
Manase
Tuipulotu
Burbo

If Saddler plays this week he will be the 25TH player used after nine games, first development player to play this season.

Add to the current injuries S. Fainu and Tuitavake.

1/3 of the season completed and the only players not to play in the top grade,

Taufua
Koula
Lawton
Manase
Tuipulotu
Burbo

If Saddler plays this week he will be the 25TH player used after nine games, first development player to play this season.

Add to the current injuries S. Fainu and Tuitavake.
Yeah but only due to injuries, so that doesn't really count. None of our kids will ever get a proper chance under Des (or so I've heard, repeatedly!)

Yeah but only due to injuries, so that doesn't really count. None of our kids will ever get a proper chance under Des (or so I've heard, repeatedly!)

For me it highlights that we will have trouble carrying players in the 30 that are not ready.

I like Des and I'm glad he's at Manly, but gee he frustrates me is some areas. But perhaps its just an old man getting grizzly. However we go...again

That's the good point you make there SER8.

As you say players are being promoted because of injury, not because the existing player in a position is not performing as well as those untried players may be able to perform.

Surely its logical the sooner younger players get a taste of first grade, the sooner their skill level improves. Its like the argument made by several of these TV panels (not that I watch much and often their comments are laughable). But one comment made stood out about Manly allowing Turbo to play rep games. Their point was unanimously agreed upon by the panel. Player promoted to SOO come back better to grade because of the experience of that higher level of competition.

Des doesn't seem to think that way, and maybe is too protective of his brood...or is it something else? He's obviously a good coach, but he does he have a blind spot with bringing young players up 'because they deserve promotion over another player, not because of injury'.

The risk surely has to be made some time and waiting for an injury to me seems inflexible and gridlocked thinking. Is it fear of failure or maybe being too loyal to those he has already there? I would have thought the sooner these young players get a taste of first grade, even if only for a couple of game, the quicker they develop. Cleary has shown this at Penrith in bucket loads. Am I reading this poorly?

These kids' sole reason for playing at this level is to get a chance to play first grade. If they cant play it at Manly, they will go elsewhere as has happened with a couple of good talent that left between 2015-20.

Mind you at present Des has a little breathing space because of recent performances, thanks to Turbo's return. But Manly's success is also partly the result of players brought in through injury such as Harper, Saab, Oli and Schuster. Turbo's return also helped him overlook the deficiencies that should surely be addressed now, not after injury.

But perhaps I'm just being a grizzly old bear with unrealistic expectations. I'll hibernate again now.

Last edited:
It's always a balancing act. Players actually get better with experience, not to mention developing physically. Look at any rep side, or Dally M list or Drunk rothfield list of the game's best players. Only ever one or two novices in those lists, the rest are seasoned established players.

The other point is teamwork. That requires minimal changes. The fact that injuries are a given in NRL means the inexperienced players are always in line to get that 'taste of first grade' you mention. Toss in too many youngsters and doesn't go well.

Anyway I hope all our youngsters prosper, but the absence of Marty, Aloiai, Siro, Davey and yes, Boyle and Jestki won't make it easy for them.

Poor judgement putting Ben Turbo in the squad. He's been going like a busted in 2nds and now been dropped back to Flegg. Only getting named in the 21 because the well has run dry.
I do not always agree with Des but sometimes it is not about poor judgement as you never know how a player will really go unless you put faith in them and give them an opportunity

Some players take the opportunity and make the most of it and others dont

IMO Ben is not Turbo charged like Tom and Jake

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4