2021 squad

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I hear you- except that in the team we are commenting on... Schuster and Harper aren’t even listed. Taufua is terrible. Foran is not a hooker. Joel Thompson is missing. Sironen has gone backwards.... so it’s actually quite a lot different to 2018.
Sironen has gone backwards??? Suggest you should have a looked at the player stats before making that statement.......

Sironen has gone backwards??? Suggest you should have a looked at the player stats before making that statement.......

It’s not all about stats... the centres outside never touched the ball because Sironen doesn’t pass... I guess as long as the stats are good though, that’s the most important thing lol

We must have watched different games this year. If Sironen has been one of our best, no wonder we finished 12th. He doesn’t pass, his knee injury made him very laboured, and he cuts back in every time he gets it... but hey he was one of our betters players!
Looks like we have watched different games....perhaps have a look at the player stats & compare to previous years then come back & tell us he was appalling. Anyway mate we all have an opinion....all good.

It’s not all about stats... the centres outside never touched the ball because Sironen doesn’t pass... I guess as long as the stats are good though, that’s the most important thing lol
Well yeah....stats tell us the input of each player & what they bring on game day. If that’s not important but passing is then ok lolol. So effort & skill etc. isn’t important heaven help us.

Looks like we have watched different games....perhaps have a look at the player stats & compare to previous years then come back & tell us he was appalling. Anyway mate we all have an opinion....all good.
Fair call... but do you agree he hardly ever passes the ball, and always cuts back in?

Sirro is a ball runner not player. He's not supposed to pass. That's dce not having any faith in our outside backs, knowing they will just compromise our attacking position every time. At least Sirro digs in, and keeps the ruck centred. Suli is NOT a centre. He is a winger. We need ball-playing centres i.e. Walker, Schuster, etc !

Fair call... but do you agree he hardly ever passes the ball, and always cuts back in?
Of course I agree mate but I kinda think it’s what he’s been told to do by the coaching staff otherwise he wouldn’t be doing it so much I suppose.....

Forwards job isn't to pass the ball, it's to run with it.

Put this down to the halves and fullback not throwing enough cut out passes.
Glad no-one ever told big Artie Beetson not to pass but just run with the ball

I think the offload is now called second phase play and there is quite a lot of it these days especially the teams playing semis finals this year

Good players mix up their game and run sometimes and sometimes pass to their centre outside of them

Sironene never passes to his centre and is so one dimensional you can see it every time he plays

If the coaching staff told him to do this no wonder we are down the bottom of the ladder

I beg to differ....in the modern game, the forward offload/2nd phase is arguably the best platform to break down even the best defensive structures...in saying this, I agree it is crucial to play off the back of hard running first.
The team to best win that momentum through the middle, with offloads off a HARD run, will go a long way to winning the 2020 title.
The 2 worst attributes in manly's forward 2020 play, was -
1) Big run metres on stats including post contact metres...then a sloth like slow play ball, especially in key attacking position....better less metres and dynamic fast play ball.
2) Catching the ball in a 1/4 pace trot, and stopping at the defence line trying to pass a ball to a player in a worse position, leading to stifled attack and dropped balls.

So we are linked to Saab, Garner, Davey, Earle. We have Foz already. IF all of these signings are true then I reckon a #9 is all we are missing (unless Des knows something about Fainu being cleared)
Still no news on Hoppa or any confirmation about Boyle to Dogs?

Starting to look a decent squad (IF)

Im not sure why Siro has to pass it more. His game is running hard and good lines, he has lost his step and off load back on the inside, but he was hampred by injury most of the year. Started to come good last couple of games. Siro's main strength is breaking through the line, or running a good line which draws defenders in and then he can get an arm free for an off load or just push through the line.

Looking at the elite edge back rowers. Tyson, Viliame Kikau, Boyd Cordner. They dont pass the ball much at all. The difference this year has been the Penrith panthers who have shown quite a bit of silky ball movement on the edges, but that is also their centres.

Offloading is only effective if you have the players to utilise it. We have had few in recent years in the Manly squad who can use the offload effectively.

The back line has been solid but pedestrian and the comment that DCE may be lacking confidence in the back line, I suspect is also reflected in how Des operates strategically with this side.

No Walker, no Turbo no speed. Its not the forwards or even the halves that were the problem.

Just look at who scored the tries in the first 7 games. 16 of the 20 tries scored were by the outside backs. Exit Turbo and Walker from games 8 to 16 the outside backs scored 3 of the 25 tries. When Des started introducing some of the younger players more often from Game 17-20, 10 tries scored by the outside backs from 23.

Same forwards, same half, so why weren't the backs scoring, and why when some younger players were brought in did they start scoring again.

Sure the defence was poor, but that can be corrected. But attack comes from the skill of those in the backline. This Manly side was relying on the forwards and DCE to get across the line with some cameos from Cust.

Also think an edge forward needs to have good defence. It's why I like Guac. He seems imposing, big athletic build. Runs good lines but has a great defence technique. Can wack hard. All good to to have a edge forward who can pass, but more importantly I love an edge forward who just rips in. Not afraid to make some tough carries and is sound defensively! Think we missed that with Thommo in 2020. Last year he made so many important one of one tackles and cleaned up a lot back on the inside. Rather that than a passing game. Look at Sitili who I would love in the maroon and white, doesn't pass it much but look at the way he runs into the ball! That's exciting

Offloading is only effective if you have the players to utilise it. We have had few in recent years in the Manly squad who can use the offload effectively.

The back line has been solid but pedestrian and the comment that DCE may be lacking confidence in the back line, I suspect is also reflected in how Des operates strategically with this side.

No Walker, no Turbo no speed. Its not the forwards or even the halves that were the problem.

Just look at who scored the tries in the first 7 games. 16 of the 20 tries scored were by the outside backs. Exit Turbo and Walker from games 8 to 16 the outside backs scored 3 of the 25 tries. When Des started introducing some of the younger players more often from Game 17-20, 10 tries scored by the outside backs from 23.

Same forwards, same half, so why weren't the backs scoring, and why when some younger players were brought in did they start scoring again.

Sure the defence was poor, but that can be corrected. But attack comes from the skill of those in the backline. This Manly side was relying on the forwards and DCE to get across the line with some cameos from Cust.
Walker was a big out wasn't he. I watched some old highlights and his passing game was on song early. He used his speed to get on his outside man and then had a nice select pass to his centre. Missed that all year.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8