2020 Finals discussion thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Losing Gutho in 2015 revisited...

Apr 2015: Manly re-sign up and coming fullback Clint Gutherson, recovering from ACL
Apr 2015: Manly re-sign up and coming fullback Tom Trbojevic
Aug 2015: Manly give fullback Brett Stewart a one year extension (to end 2017)
2015: Taupau and Walker become available to Manly a year before their contracts were ending
Sep 2015: Manly release Clint Gutherson to free up cap space
Oct 2015: Manly sign Martin Taupau
Dec 2015: Manly sign Dylan Walker

Clint Gutherson released by Manly, expected to link up with Parramatta

Excerpt from article...

“The club recently extended the contracts of some of our experienced players and further enhanced our depth through the recruitment of players who can cover several positions,” the statement read.

“Accordingly it became clear that Clinton would no longer receive the opportunity to further develop through consistent selection at NRL level with the Sea Eagles.” Gutherson, 21, can play fullback, wing or centre and looked every bit an NRL player in the five top grade games he has played, but an ACL injury suffered in round one this season brought an end to his year.

He has represented NSW at under-20s, under-18s and under-16s level and is considered one of the game’s most promising up-and-coming players.

But new coach Trent Barrett has deemed him surplus to requirements.

Full story link:
What a terrible decision. He should be scoring tries and dancing for manly, along with Hines

I wouldn't be so quick to judge.
DESpicable ruled Liicha (sic) a better player than Cook and surplus to the requirements of Canterbury.
Yeah but I don’t think cook was captain of all the state junior rep teams and well-known as a club’s future star. Cook came good a bit later after being a winger, half and journeyman. Lichaa has raw talent but was doomed because of his attitude.

gutho was a no-brainer as someone to retain.

Gutherson might have learned something last night “ don’t ****ing dance before you’ve won the ****ing game “!!!!

But we’ll have to wait and see won’t we.

7a224d5fd68bca68fdf65143c4a62477217bb135

So anyone like to predict some winners this weekend ???

IMO both games are very hard to call, I’ll say teams 1 & 2 to go through but with little confidence!!

Yes, one of the winners will be from Sydney (area) and the other one won't @:D

Actually, I think Penrith's defence will hold Souths at bay, and I am hoping the Raiders beat the Storm. I think both games are likely to be close, even if high scoring.

it seems anything can happen, so a 5 v. 6 GF is not totally beyond the realms of possibility.

Yes, one of the winners will be from Sydney (area) and the other one won't @:D

Actually, I think Penrith's defence will hold Souths at bay, and I am hoping the Raiders beat the Storm. I think both games are likely to be close, even if high scoring.

it seems anything can happen, so a 5 v. 6 GF is not totally beyond the realms of possibility.
"look at you and ya fancy button thingy...
ok that was lame
sorry
stop pressing them... the joke is over...:fubar:

IMO both games are very hard to call, I’ll say teams 1 & 2 to go through but with little confidence!!

I'd say Penrith are solid favourites. I don't they'll give Souths much and I'd expect them to win comfortably.

The other one is a coin toss. I doubt Munster is anything like 100% fit and Canberra have enough strike power to worry the Scum. I actually think they might get them. But not by much. Might come down to who gets the run of possession which is a worry because I'm basically saying the referee will decide who wins. And it shouldn't come down to that.

I'd say Penrith are solid favourites. I don't they'll give Souths much and I'd expect them to win comfortably.

The other one is a coin toss. I doubt Munster is anything like 100% fit and Canberra have enough strike power to worry the Scum. I actually think they might get them. But not by much. Might come down to who gets the run of possession which is a worry because I'm basically saying the referee will decide who wins. And it shouldn't come down to that.
I think you're right on all of that.

I’d suggest most on here would be quite happy with Panthers v Raiders for the GF.

It pained me to see gutho and knight playing well for parra and Souths.

There really needs to be a royal commission into manly’s retention. Although I do believe Knight was on his last warning for being a goose off field.
And Gutho for being a Queen on it .....

Losing Gutho in 2015 revisited...

Apr 2015: Manly re-sign up and coming fullback Clint Gutherson, recovering from ACL
Apr 2015: Manly re-sign up and coming fullback Tom Trbojevic
Aug 2015: Manly give fullback Brett Stewart a one year extension (to end 2017)
2015: Taupau and Walker become available to Manly a year before their contracts were ending
Sep 2015: Manly release Clint Gutherson to free up cap space
Oct 2015: Manly sign Martin Taupau
Dec 2015: Manly sign Dylan Walker

Clint Gutherson released by Manly, expected to link up with Parramatta

Excerpt from article...

“The club recently extended the contracts of some of our experienced players and further enhanced our depth through the recruitment of players who can cover several positions,” the statement read.

“Accordingly it became clear that Clinton would no longer receive the opportunity to further develop through consistent selection at NRL level with the Sea Eagles.” Gutherson, 21, can play fullback, wing or centre and looked every bit an NRL player in the five top grade games he has played, but an ACL injury suffered in round one this season brought an end to his year.

He has represented NSW at under-20s, under-18s and under-16s level and is considered one of the game’s most promising up-and-coming players.

But new coach Trent Barrett has deemed him surplus to requirements.

Full story link:

The media told us that Bozo was responsible for "re-building" the team at that time.

So if that's true... do you really think he didn't have a say in who got released in order to afford all of our recruits?

The favourites are Penrith and Melbourne.....

Well I have a feeling that Canberra have both the artillery and determination to beat the professional and stubborn Melbourne side.

Also after finding that Kikau is out, that is a Massive part of Penriths lethal left side attack, they still have plenty of strike and Cleary is Red hot atm, but the effect of this out could sway the outcome of what could have been an unstoppable force, as Kikau is a monster of a presence and actually opens up the right side as the defence MUST condence left to have any chance of stopping that side opening up extra attacking Penrith options everywhere.
Souths if given a cluster of repeat sets, which is possible, will score plenty of points...again could easily be an upset.

My preferred GF winner is Canberra or Penrith in that order, so hope at least 1 get's thru to the big dance....

So is there anything you don't like about Gutho?
Have you got a few days?
Sorry mate.....he’s a great player but his head is so swollen & his demeanour reeks of someone who thinks he’s God’s gift to rugby league, which he’s certainly not. Like I posted in another thread do you see the likes of Teddy, RTS, CNK, Paps or our own Trbo carry on like he does on the football field? He’s not in their class as a player or their humble characters. The sooner he learns to shut his mouth & not carry on like a twat, the sooner he’ll be looked at in the same class as the others. Until then I stand by my dislike of the guy & never want to see him in Manly colours again. I know many disagree but it’s my personal opinion.

Have you got a few days?
Sorry mate.....he’s a great player but his head is so swollen & his demeanour reeks of someone who thinks he’s God’s gift to rugby league, which he’s certainly not. Like I posted in another thread do you see the likes of Teddy, RTS, CNK, Paps or our own Trbo carry on like he does on the football field? He’s not in their class as a player or their humble characters. The sooner he learns to shut his mouth & not carry on like a twat, the sooner he’ll be looked at in the same class as the others. Until then I stand by my dislike of the guy & never want to see him in Manly colours again. I know many disagree but it’s my personal opinion.
I think you are 100% correct with the calls in relation to his ability (which is good , but definitely below those you mentioned), but I will give Gutho credit as equal to any of them with "Effort plays" something Manly really lacked in 2020....certainly plays to his potential and gives his all, this type of player will generally lift those around him and Manly sadly lacked this season, looked disinterested.

As much as I want a Panthers v Raiders GF, I think it will be a Bunnies v Storm GF.

While the Panthers were easily the best team all year, Souths put in the best performances that I saw. I think the loss of Kikau is enormous, and the fact that the Panthers are such a young team and on an incredible winning streak makes me think they might struggle to lift in intensity, particularly after a week off. This is new ground for them.

The Storm are so experienced and they definitely needed the week off. Due to their experience, they will know how to lift and I feel that Canberra might have played their GF last week.

Hope I am wrong on both!!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4