2020 Dally M Award Winners

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Honestly it’s an embarrassing nick name and if I was the player I’d be saying “ don’t call me that “.

Whilst Wally was and still can be an absolute wanker his King moniker is at least true to his influence on the game.

When Queen Danceatron has played dozens of times for Australia and his state , and won multiple Premierships then , and only then should they be using that terminology.

I cringe every time I hear a commentator say it!!

Honestly it’s an embarrassing nick name and if I was the player I’d be saying “ don’t call me that “.

Whilst Wally was and still can be an absolute wanker his King moniker is at least true to his influence on the game.

When Queen Danceatron has played dozens of times for Australia and his state , and won multiple Premierships then , and only then should they be using that terminology.

I cringe every time I hear a commentator say it!!
Actually rather than Priscilla I’ll call him Dancing Queen......

Wighton is a good player, don't get me wrong, but if he was the best player in 2020 then it shows either:

The voting system is flawed as already mentioned

The level of football was down this year

Okay, but who IS the best player?

There is never any perfect voting system, how else do we determine it?

Yes, the system is geared towards players in the spine because they touch the ball the most and generally determine how your team performs.
It's also geared towards teams that win.

Look at ours this year, our top two players were DCE and Turbo.
Some would say DCE didn't have a great year and Turbo played less than half a season but they topped our points but both in single figures yet they were influential to the outcome when we won.

Wighton had 26 pts, the next best Canberra player was in single figures, same as Parra with Guffo.
Cleary had 24pts but their fifth highest player equalled our best.
Tedesco and Keary had 33pts between them.
Smith and Pap - 38pts

Are Cleary and Keary better because they had to share their points or did the others make their job easier and hence score more points by doing their job?

Wighton and Guffo practically carried their teams.
Same with Shaun Johnson.
Look at the difference to us when Turbo plays, he was leading after 6 rounds with three Man of the Match performances.

I don't know what the answer is but no-one was questioning it last year when Teddy won it or RTS.
It is what it is.
Is it better than the Rothman's when the ref's used to do it?
Imagine that now, we'd need to go the bunker to double check the decisions.

I like Staggs no doubt. But to be picked from the wooden spooners in front of 31 other centres. I don’t think so.
As it is a compilation of individual opinions, these awards are always bound to be flawed. An example of this was the 2018 Team of the Year - Joey Leilua (centre), Luke Brooks (halfback) & Josh Jackson (second row)??? Maybe Staggs polled well because seven former Broncos were on this year's judging panel @:D If a player polls top ten in Dally M points, they are automatically selected in the Team of the Year - full rules in link below. Generally, Rookie of the Year has been a popular choice. Last Sea Eagle was DCE in 2011. Let's hope Josh Schuster is awarded this title in 2021! (I think max. 2 appearances in previous year allowed).

2020 Judging Panel
  • Brett Kimmorley
  • Darren Lockyer
  • Greg Alexander
  • Corey Parker
  • Andrew Ryan
  • Andrew Johns
  • Steve Roach
  • Johnathan Thurston
  • Dene Halatau
  • Billy Moore
  • Gary Belcher
  • Ben Ikin
  • Luke Lewis
  • Matt Elliott
  • Justin Hodges
  • Scott Sattler
  • Sam Thaiday
  • Nathan Hindmarsh
  • Anthony Minichiello
  • Ryan Girdler
  • Steven Menzies
  • Mark Geyer
  • Petero Civoniceva
  • Dallas Johnson
  • Ben Galea
  • Alan Tongue
  • Tony Puletua
  • Wally Lewis
  • Paul Whatuira

As it is a compilation of individual opinions, these awards are always bound to be flawed. An example of this was the 2018 Team of the Year - Joey Leilua (centre), Luke Brooks (halfback) & Josh Jackson (second row)??? Maybe Staggs polled well because seven former Broncos were on this year's judging panel @:D If a player polls top ten in Dally M points, they are automatically selected in the Team of the Year - full rules in link below. Generally, Rookie of the Year has been a popular choice. Last Sea Eagle was DCE in 2011. Let's hope Josh Schuster is awarded this title in 2021! (I think max. 2 appearances in previous year allowed).

2020 Judging Panel
  • Brett Kimmorley
  • Darren Lockyer
  • Greg Alexander
  • Corey Parker
  • Andrew Ryan
  • Andrew Johns
  • Steve Roach
  • Johnathan Thurston
  • Dene Halatau
  • Billy Moore
  • Gary Belcher
  • Ben Ikin
  • Luke Lewis
  • Matt Elliott
  • Justin Hodges
  • Scott Sattler
  • Sam Thaiday
  • Nathan Hindmarsh
  • Anthony Minichiello
  • Ryan Girdler
  • Steven Menzies
  • Mark Geyer
  • Petero Civoniceva
  • Dallas Johnson
  • Ben Galea
  • Alan Tongue
  • Tony Puletua
  • Wally Lewis
  • Paul Whatuira

This process could be improved by doubling or tripling the number of judges. Maybe increase it to 10,000 judges??

2020 Judging Panel
  • Brett Kimmorley
  • Darren Lockyer
  • Greg Alexander
  • Corey Parker
  • Andrew Ryan
  • Andrew Johns
  • Steve Roach
  • Johnathan Thurston
  • Dene Halatau
  • Billy Moore
  • Gary Belcher
  • Ben Ikin
  • Luke Lewis
  • Matt Elliott
  • Justin Hodges
  • Scott Sattler
  • Sam Thaiday
  • Nathan Hindmarsh
  • Anthony Minichiello
  • Ryan Girdler
  • Steven Menzies
  • Mark Geyer
  • Petero Civoniceva
  • Dallas Johnson
  • Ben Galea
  • Alan Tongue
  • Tony Puletua
  • Wally Lewis
  • Paul Whatuira

I bow to your in-depth analysis @40 nil . Seven former Broncos says it all.

He was a standout in any Broncos games I saw. If not injured, he would have been selected for the Blues when Turbo withdrew. Also, he was awarded Try of the Year
I agree. A centre isn’t going to turn the Broncos from spooners to a top eight powerhouse. I don’t get the logic to penalise a player simply because the rest of his team sucks and they bombed. If anything it should add to his credit. It would have been so easy to take the foot off the pedal and fall in line with the rest of the team. He had his own ‘culture’ if you want to put it that way, which was counter to the rest of his team. He put in each week and was the only shining light despite all the drama surrounding him.

If we could pick Kelly, Crocker, Naden or Staggs to play for Manly - who would we honestly pick? I know it wouldn’t even be a question for me, I’d take Staggs without hesitation. He and Chrichton thoroughly deserved it.

Credit to him for FB of the year but whoever gave him the title King Gutho has shown total disrespect to the only king in rugby league King Wally......Gutherson isn’t even good enough to wipe the real Kings boots & will never be the player Wally Lewis was or achieve what he did. King Gutho.....what a joke!
1603335078983.png

Great book, practically any name you can think of gets the treatment but only one is worthy of the title,

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4