2017 Starting Line Up

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

The Who

Journey Man
So, what is the cap for the 2nd grade comp? If, for example, Lloyd Perrett was on $400,000 a season at the Dogs (as reported) and couldn't make the top 25 wouldn't he eat up the majority of the 2nd tier cap?
What happens when a high-paid player is dropped from first grade? Is his salary counted in the 2nd tier? If so, wouldn't that put the second grade team over the cap?
It's really confusing to me. Can someone explain it?
Thanks,

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
One things for certain Myles & Brown , love them or hate them will be part of our 25.

And so will Stewart / Matai, cap wise , but neither will play a minute in 2017.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Forgive my ignorance, but has Matai's retirement been officially announced? He can definitely still compete @ NRL level.

Not yet announced but the rumour mill suggests he's looking for a payout not to play.

I hope, pray even , he's still fit enough,we are short a centre and very short on Manly culture!!

mutley

Reserve Grader
Even a ANZ banker could figure out that matai and stewart are done yet whilst they are under contract they will not retire, they and the club are waiting for the nrl on doctors advice to rule them unfit to play and therefore be subsequently paid out by manly with no monies counting to the salary cap

Andrew..

Bencher
Tipping Member
If Snake and Steve don't lace on a boot do you think it would it be possible to do a deal with the NRL for them to still be included under our cap financially but not in our top 25.
Without this dispensation we will be severely disadvantaged from the get go.

Ryan

Journey Man
Even a ANZ banker could figure out that matai and stewart are done yet whilst they are under contract they will not retire, they and the club are waiting for the nrl on doctors advice to rule them unfit to play and therefore be subsequently paid out by manly with no monies counting to the salary cap

@mutley , it's "even AN ANZ Banker".

Also, I have read that Manly and Matai are looking for an amicable settlement. Where did you hear that the two parties are waiting on medical advice so that insurance payouts can be determined? That really wouldn't be a topic of debate either - either Steve is able to claim workers compensation (if that's what it is), or he's not?

I still think Steve Matai has a lot to offer. He was playing balls to the wall up until the game he couldn't play anymore. A fit Matai, makes our team much, much stronger, and I hope he plays on.

Ryan

Journey Man
If Snake and Steve don't lace on a boot do you think it would it be possible to do a deal with the NRL for them to still be included under our cap financially but not in our top 25.
Without this dispensation we will be severely disadvantaged from the get go.

Mate, they have something very similar in the NHL. It's called LTIR. Have always said I'd love it in the NRL
When a player has an injury of which they are expected to miss 10 games and 24 days, the team can place them on long term injured reserve (LTIR) to receive cap relief.

When a player is placed on LTIR, their cap hit technically remains on the teams cap payroll and it continues to count as it always did. It also does not provide the club with additional cap-space savings that can be banked for future use while the team operates below the salary cap. Instead, LTIR provides relief if the club's averaged club salary, or payroll, begins to exceed the upper limit. The amount of relief that the club receives is calculated on the day the player is placed on LTIR. There are two formulas that are used to determine the LTIR relief, the first formula, the basic formula, can be used during the season and during the off-season. The second formula, the training-camp formula, can be used during the off-season.

Basic Formula
This formula is used throughout the season and during the off-season
Amount team can exceed the cap = Cap hit of LTIR player - Amount of cap space available
Training-Camp Formula
This formula can only be used during the off-season
Amount team can exceed the cap = Team cap hit - season salary cap
Basic Formula Example
The league upper limit is $69M. A team has an averaged club salary of $68M and a player with a cap hit of $5M becomes injured and the team places him on LTIR. The team is now permitted to spend up to a new limit of $72M:
  1. Cap hit of LTIR player is $5M
  2. Amount of cap space available to team = $69M - $68M = $1M
  3. Amount team can exceed the cap = $5M - $1M = $4M
  4. New limit = $68M + $4M = $72M
To add to this example, if the team were to recall a player from the AHL, with a cap hit of $950k, the teams would instead be permitted to spend up to a new limit of $72.95M:
  1. Cap hit of LTIR player is $5M
  2. Amount of cap space available to team = $69M - $68.95M = $0.05M
  3. Amount team can exceed the cap = $5M - $0.05M = $4.95M
  4. New limit = $68M + $4.95M = $72.95M
For this reason, when a player is activated onto LTIR, one day recalls are relatively common as they can be used to maximize the cap relief from an LTIR player.
Training-Camp Formula Example
The league upper limit is $69M. A team has an averaged club salary of $71M and a player with a cap hit of $5M becomes injured and the team places him on LTIR. The team is now permitted to spend up to a new limit of $71M:
  1. Team cap hit = $71M
  2. Season salary cap = $69M
  3. Amount team can exceed the cap = $71 - $69M = $2M
  4. New limit = $69M + $2M = $71M
To add to this example, if the team were to recall two players from the AHL, one with a cap hit of $950k and the other $2M, the teams would instead be permitted to spend up to a new limit of $73.95M:
  1. Team cap hit = $73.95M
  2. Season salary cap = $69M
  3. Amount team can exceed the cap = $73.95 - $69M = $4.95M
  4. New limit = $69M + $4.95M = $73.95M
Again, for this reason, when a player is activated onto LTIR, one day recalls are relatively common as they can be used to maximize the cap relief from an LTIR player.

nightster

The older I get the better I was
Premium Member
Tipping Member

Jatz Crackers

First Grader
I get your point Nightster.

@Jatz Crackers

This is why no team lists have been announced yet ... our top 25 isn't settled.

Yes exactly, and that goes to why its all a bit pointless making long lists especially this early on.

But dont let me stop anyone. I guess if we make at least 25 lists someone may get lucky and jag a perfect score.

Its the early off season so I still prefer an old fashioned team positional list and I bet my left nut that is going to contain at least 2 bench props.

nightster

The older I get the better I was
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Yes exactly, and that goes to why its all a bit pointless making long lists especially this early on.

But dont let me stop anyone. I guess if we make at least 25 lists someone may get lucky and jag a perfect score.

Its the early off season so I still prefer an old fashioned team positional list and I bet my left nut that is going to contain at least 2 bench props.

You keep pushing your pointless statement ..... In that case every offering is pointless .... unless its known fact and then its pointless repeating known facts ! ... I'm simply participating in discussion ... hypotheticals ... ideas .... opinions .... isn't that what this site is all about? ... pretty boring if no one says anything .....
Its pointless to say something 's pointless 'but don't let me stop anyone' ... get my point?

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Notice Barrett has said there will be a few surprises in the make up of the final side that runs out next year in today's paper. Fans will be pleasantly surprised was the quote.
An odd thing to say, if he's been correctly quoted.
We must have at least one new player locked in but unannounced as yet...and it is someone we'll be pleased about!
Sounds good to me.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member

you are likely 100% correct, but hope springs eternal.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 78 22
13 9 4 110 20
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16
13 7 6 -34 16