2017...No Lyon..Matai?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It may surprise people but the Super League salary cap is 1.85 million pounds and has hardly changed in the last decade or more. The NRL salary cap continues to rise and is now 3.8 million pounds( so in pound terms it is less than half)and is set to rise again in 2018. With the tax loop hole closed and the currency advantage having changed hugely over the last decade the days of Super League being a huge payday are long gone.End of career holiday for aged topliners and a decent living for second tier players is about it.

Brett Stewart will not be paid 450 000 pounds out of a 1.85 mill salary cap and no NRL club will take him. We just have to hope he has an injury free offseason for 2017 and a better attitude.

Last edited:
Give me a break! 600k (and he still does better staying here). Do you think their recruitment guys have their eyes painted on? His hammy goes every second week,he is under a huge cloud rightly or wrongly in this betting stuff and he has been playing like a powderpuff.

And from Bretts point of view the tax dodge doesn't apply anymore AND the pound is getting hammered every week AND if Brexit occurs in a month there will not be enough planes to carry their players over here as the currency devalues AND it rains over there more than it does at Narabeen.

And I hope you were tongue in cheek with the "if he really loves Manly'' stuff.
Susan is a POM.... :)

So does Watmough's payout come from an insurance company ?
Or has the NRL sanctioned parra to pay him out and not have it included in their cap ?
All retirements due to career ending injuries are Cap exempt. It gives the Club a chance to replace him during the year.

Parra will lodge an insurance claim to recoup part of the payout.

Snake is going nowhere. He is contracted for 600k plus and no club anywhere in the world would pay him more than 200k next year given his form and hammies. We will have the 650k on the books next year. Why would he leave? We just have to work around it.

100%, he's going no where.

He can cruise out the back and pick up another million dollars for the rest of this year and next.

Besides , with ZtH running the show , he's as safe as Fort Knox.

The real problem is the poor management that allowed this scenario to become reality in the first place.

It looks like we are going to lose Killer (already announced), Snake (likely to be gone) and possibly Skivy (forced injury retirement?) all at the same time.

Then to add insult to injury we actually had 2 ready made replacements and some braniac made the decision that Kiwi international Peta Hiku and local junior Clint Gutherson were surplus that wasn't needed.

And for the record I have no problems with Walker in the centres. His one and a half games there were the best he's played this year.
Would have killed me at the time, but in hindsight, would have been a better option for all if Skivy was able to take up that Warriors offer and Killer got a bit of coin out of the Gold Coast. Then again it would be doubtful, given our track record, that we would have developed anyone better in that time.

All retirements due to career ending injuries are Cap exempt. It gives the Club a chance to replace him during the year.

Parra will lodge an insurance claim to recoup part of the payout.

Thanks HappilyManly, I was only enquiring because I thought that Brett's injuries may have come under a similar ruling.

Brett won't walk, I still shake my head the club gave him that last contract... For the money and time.... F$&ken ridiculous.... We will have another season of watching his half baked efforts and injury holidays.... Unless something pops up that he's forced from the game .

Thanks HappilyManly, I was only enquiring because I thought that Brett's injuries may have come under a similar ruling.
Both Matai and Snake have enough scars to be pensioned off IMO.

Snake's job requires him to run, yet all he can now do is trot.

Matai's bulging disc is again not something that allows him to fulfill his role.

It's sad to see these young men so physically impaired for the rest of their lives :(

Gutho has skills in abundance, an extremely talented footballer. But he's physically weak & way too slow. Snake is faster than gutho.

Brett won't walk, I still shake my head the club gave him that last contract... For the money and time.... F$&ken ridiculous.... We will have another season of watching his half baked efforts and injury holidays.... Unless something pops up that he's forced from the game .
I feel the contract and upgrade was reward for past service. Doesn't help us now, but he got a reward for unders in the past right? Choc got his paid by another club. Manly is buggered though now for a while.

This game sets up perfectly for Brett if he is going to turn his year around.Manly has their backs to the wall and it is a rare Sunday arvo game at Brooky where he is/was the undoubted Prince.A real chance to silence us doubters. Can be no excuses this week.Would be great to see some of the old magic.

On Snake
Sad part of Tom T tackled out last week by Wighton in the 77th minute....when he made the bust Snake smelt the break & was doing his usual inside support role, which in the past was Turbo drawing the fullback - inside ball to Snake under the sticks....not only nowhere near keeping up, the defence ran past him like a statue...reality flash in neon lights....speed between the ears but his boots can't keep up.... Hope he finds a gear or 3 somewhere, as Susan stated above, perfect game to do it at Brooky- against all odds

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8