2017...No Lyon..Matai?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Obviously it's firstly about accolades for these 2 legends, but thinking forward to 2017....a massive loss.
Walker will no doubt grab 1 spot & Matai still a chance, though to be brutally honest- highly doubtful....
Need to find a quality outside back & soon...but who is available??
Maybe a capable player in the local backyard??

The mere mention of little rabbit Walker being in line to replace legends like Lyon and Matai makes my stomach churn. Any chance we can avoid saying that?.
He hasn't proven he is a potential Manly player yet, let alone secured a spot in 2017!
As far as I have known, blokes who run backwards in the defensive line are not Manly players.
NYEagle

The mere mention of little rabbit Walker being in line to replace legends like Lyon and Matai makes my stomach churn. Any chance we can avoid saying that?.
He hasn't proven he is a potential Manly player yet, let alone secured a spot in 2017!
As far as I have known, blokes who run backwards in the defensive line are not Manly players.
NYEagle
Disagree...finally came to life in the centres...agree his defence can improve, but throw in the rest of the team bar Jake in 2016 with that call.

The real problem is the poor management that allowed this scenario to become reality in the first place.

It looks like we are going to lose Killer (already announced), Snake (likely to be gone) and possibly Skivy (forced injury retirement?) all at the same time.

Then to add insult to injury we actually had 2 ready made replacements and some braniac made the decision that Kiwi international Peta Hiku and local junior Clint Gutherson were surplus that wasn't needed.

And for the record I have no problems with Walker in the centres. His one and a half games there were the best he's played this year.

Last edited:
Could have HM, but already know who we are limited to in 2016....come 2017 we have time to hopefully adjust that.
You reckon that Killer will stay on the field from his hammy injury this year?

Both Chez and Turbo have that syndesmosis hanging over them this year as well.:(

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2016/06/09/the_end_of_a_great_p.af_news.html

The end of a great partnership
Wayne Cousins (@wcousins69)

Thu 9th June, 04:39PM

1465454645448.jpg

It's over..Jamie Lyon and Steve Matai formed a lethal centre partnership.

The great centre combination of Jamie Lyon and Steve Matai has come to an unexpected end.

With Lyon retiring at the end of the year and Matai today being ruled out for the rest of the season, Manly fans won’t get the chance to watch the lethal duo together again in the maroon and white.

Between them, the pair played a massive 449 games for Manly. A staggering 230 games for Matai and 219 for Lyon.

Centre partners and Life Members of Manly. Four grand finals and two premierships together. A bond that never will be broken outside the football field.

Contracted for next season, Matai will soon undergo neck surgery on an injury that has seen him play just eight matches for the Sea Eagles this season.

In an article on seaeagles.com.au on April 28, Matai described life as ‘the other centre’ at Manly.

“Jamie is one of the nicest people I’ve ever met, one of the best players I’ve ever played with,’’

“Here at Manly, I’ve always been ‘the other centre’ outside of Jamie, and that suits me fine.

“I’m just honoured, happy and blessed to be ‘Killer’s’ centre partner for the past 10 years. I’m very grateful.

“The Life Membership is something now that we will take to the grave. We are bonded for life.

“I’m just blessed and honoured to call Jamie my mate.”

Footnote: Manly fans, tell us your memories of Jamie and Steve playing in the centres by posting your thoughts here

e8a3e9027dd06839a930decefd5f311d

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2016/06/09/the_end_of_a_great_p.af_news.html

The end of a great partnership
Wayne Cousins (@wcousins69)

Thu 9th June, 04:39PM

1465454645448.jpg

It's over..Jamie Lyon and Steve Matai formed a lethal centre partnership.

The great centre combination of Jamie Lyon and Steve Matai has come to an unexpected end.

With Lyon retiring at the end of the year and Matai today being ruled out for the rest of the season, Manly fans won’t get the chance to watch the lethal duo together again in the maroon and white.

Between them, the pair played a massive 449 games for Manly. A staggering 230 games for Matai and 219 for Lyon.

Centre partners and Life Members of Manly. Four grand finals and two premierships together. A bond that never will be broken outside the football field.

Contracted for next season, Matai will soon undergo neck surgery on an injury that has seen him play just eight matches for the Sea Eagles this season.

In an article on seaeagles.com.au on April 28, Matai described life as ‘the other centre’ at Manly.

“Jamie is one of the nicest people I’ve ever met, one of the best players I’ve ever played with,’’

“Here at Manly, I’ve always been ‘the other centre’ outside of Jamie, and that suits me fine.

“I’m just honoured, happy and blessed to be ‘Killer’s’ centre partner for the past 10 years. I’m very grateful.

“The Life Membership is something now that we will take to the grave. We are bonded for life.

“I’m just blessed and honoured to call Jamie my mate.”

Footnote: Manly fans, tell us your memories of Jamie and Steve playing in the centres by posting your thoughts here

e8a3e9027dd06839a930decefd5f311d
Sad.......

lol I thought people had enough time to get over the fact Gutho and Hiku weren't here anymore.

If we kept them we wouldn't have signed Walker. Was that the right option in hindsight who knows but I'd rather support a team that dreams big rather than dying wondering...

I don't see the logic in moving the NRLs best young player and fullback to another position! It's so stupid it's funny, why move Tom? Just because he performs well there? You could play him at prop and he would play well still but he is a natural fullback, he never drops a bomb, natural try scorer. He would be wasted at centre he will be getting the ball only when the ball goes that way, he is an attacking danger why have him waiting for the ball. Have him at fullback calling for the ball, following the ball plus everyone forgets his excellent ball playing ability, he is our leading player for try assist and he is on the wing! This kid is a fullback and that's where he should stay full stop!

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8