2016 Halves Choice Merged Mega-Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Lower grade footage is not a good indicator. I remember mark pocock, Brett Atkins, and more recently Michael oldfield all being a cut above every other player in reserve grade. It doesn't necessarily translate up a grade. The 3 I mentioned were solid in 1sts, but looked like superstars in reserves.

I see that, Mate. The step up in intensity is enormous. A good example would be Ben Hunt. He looked like a superstar in the under 20's, but it took him some time to come good in the NRL. But, he did come good.

I don't think JLJ stood out as a class above in lower grades, not even in that clip, but he had or has the necessary weapons in his arsenal. He has good height and weight. His vision seemed good, particularly counting the numbers and kicking for his wingers. He has strength, a bit of toe and a good step. It just surprises me that he couldn't be evolved into an NRL regular.

It happens though......

Last edited:
Fair enough @mozgrame, I thought Joey arrived at the same time Des left us. I think JLJ is just a very average footy player, nothing terrible but nothing spectacular either, reminds me of jeff robson.

Joey has a great footy brain and can dissect and analyse plays better than anyone else, himself and Gus Gould are the only people I enjoy listening to from the Ch 9 commentary team. That being said I think Joey would be better at developing more structured players rather than ad lib types such as Sandow and Benji. I think Sezer could be the type of player to develop really nicely under Joey.

That could be it Baz. That would explain Shaun Johnson's rise to stardom after Joey's influence had worn off. He is the best "off the cuff" player I know. I think DCE plays his best footy too when unstructured play arises.

So that leaves the question...Is Jack a structured type player, or an adlib type player? I would have thought structured. So what has happened?

Last edited:
What will we miss most about DCE's game? (leave DCE himself out of this) His long kicks for real estate. His massive goal line drop outs. His defence. And his......

What else? That's the type of player we need. Who fits the bill best?

Maybe Joey's been too busy working with DCE and Foz, I'm not sure how much time JLJ would have spent training with the first team considering he's only been called up for us a few times

Its not about anything but a personality clash with Snake and his clique.

Foz had a glowing commendation published by Manly on their website upon signing with another Club.
Chez did not - end of story and a big FU to the Members by the Club :cool:

And now, they're both gone. I wonder if DCE has felt stifled at all at the club? Do you think we should go on a spending spree for halves, or concentrate on what we already have on the books, at least at 5/8? Could Johns turn JLJ into a handy 5/8?

Only those two can answer that I guess, but if Johns is as good at his job as we are lead to believe, he should be able to work with a bloke like Jack. If not, then I fear his success at Manly has had a hell of a lot more to do with the quality of the halves "clay" he's had to work with here, and less to do with his coaching abilities.

Last edited:
In my eyes, Foran is an ok half. Sure he's tough, big deal. So are most blokes in the NRL. I can't understand why people keep him on a pedestal, and are prepared to spit on DCE.

If Foran had stayed, then I'd understand. But he has gone for the same reasons as Cherry. The BIG mistake the club made was having too much faith in Foran. They were happy to withdraw DCE's offer in the hope it would put that little bit more pressure on Foran to sign and show his loyalty and commitment to the club, its members and fans. BIG mistake.

If the club has the sh1ts with anyone, it should be him.

DCE is a great player but in the end hes after the coin and he is going to get that in spades from the NRL titans and he will be their poster boy in a struggling team where they are trying to grow the code. End of the day even if we bid more money to try and change his mind the NRL will up the anty over this , they have too much to lose now.

We have to move on from him whether we like it or not.

Ive said before, the deal he signed, where he can opt out again in two years, we dont want any part of that.

Say we nab a couple of key forwards and our pack is set and rolling and hopefully we're playing good footy, in the finals. Also in two years time, Killer, Matai and Ballin will retire and the youth get their chance but guess what? Instead of focusing on their send off and the club, what is everyone focused on? ****ing DCE and his contract. No. ****ing. Way.

No disputing that Carney is a talented footballer and match winner too, do we really need someone at our club who has had so many chances and just self destructed every time, Carney is a veteran now and I would prefer to see the club invest in a strong youth culture. We dont need dick head culture at the club!

Carney cannot handle his grog and should never drink

When the bubbler incident first happened, I suggested to the Capra's that we might throw him a lifeline. I was asked, " Are you going to look after him off the field? " Then I was laughed down. I think that speaks volumes. If the Capra's weren't interested......

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11