2008 NRL Squad

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
Sean Meaney Fullback
Brett Stewart Fullback
Michael Bani Winger
Nick Bradley-Qalilawa Winger
Michael Robertson Winger
David Williams Winger
Steven Bell Centre
Steve Matai Centre
Shane Neumann Centre
David Vaealiki Centre
Jamie Lyon Five Eight
Clint Halden Half
Matt Orford Half
Jeff Robson Half/Hooker
Matt Ballin Hooker
Heath L'Estrange Hooker
Mark Bryant Prop
Adam Cuthbertson Prop
Glenn Hall Prop
Jason King Prop
Brent Kite Prop
Phil Morwood Prop
Mark Offerdahl Prop
Josh Perry Prop
George Rose Prop
Jack Afamasaga Second Row
Jon Grieve Second Row
Vic Mauro Second Row
Steve Menzies Second Row
Junior Palau Second Row
Glenn Stewart Second Row
Chris Trembath Second Row
Jared Waerea-HargreavesSecond Row
Anthony Watmough Second Row
Jason Wells Lock
Tim Browne Lock
Luke Williamson Lock

Here is the Squad for next season, I have put all the players into their respective postions (may have a got 1/2 wrong - took a guess on Willaims/Browne). No surprises we are a bit light on in the halves, we have plenty forwards though.

One bit of good news - No Dunley

No Dunley is offset by the fact that Robson looks to be our back up half/5/8 after Halden and Deadwood is still with Manly. Can Veileiki play 5/8 or half?

If either Lyon or Orford are out for long period of time we are stuffed. I have a feeling that we are going to regret letting Groome go.

The club must have big raps on Junior Palu as he was playing flegg last year.

Deadwood must have the same photos as Willo.

Velieiki is more a Centre/Fullback then 5/8 but could play there if required I guess. I have seen Palu he looks the goods IMO not sure if it will be next year but he will make NRL

Here's my ROUND one @ Brookie vs. Sharks team:

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai
04. Steven Bell
05. David Vaeliki
06. Jamie Lyon
07. Matt Orford
08. Josh Perry
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Heath Le'Strange
15. Adam Cuthbertson
16. Jason King
17. Glenn Hall

vs.

01. David Simmons
02. Luke Covell
03. Fraser Anderson
04. Ben Pommeroy
05. Misi Taulapapa
06. Brett Kearney
07. Brett Kimmorley
08. Ben Ross
09. Isaac De Gois
10. Adam Peek
11. Greg Bird
12. Lance Thompson
13. Paul Gallen

14. Kevin Kingston
15. Kade Snowden
16. Luke Douglas
17. Reece Williams

Hehehehehe...

That's a big call putting Perry, Vaeliki & L'Estrange in & dumping Bani, Bryant, Halden & Wells straight away.

I'd at least like to hear reports of how the new guys are going at pre-season before cutting the loyalty. It's not like these guys are blue chip signings.

Agree with Duff especially on Bani, he sh!ts on Vaeliki.

Lets do the comparison, an up and coming winger with freakish ability who handled first grade with ease, or some hack we have signed as a back up when SOO comes around.

See what you are saying lads, but I honestly think Vaeliki comes down to motivation & attitude.

He was absolutely dominant for a while, had a falling out with Brian Smith (dropped form) - same as a lot of Newcastle players this year for example - then went to a 2nd rate competition in a crappy part of the UK.

I feel 1000% safe in the knowledge that Des is skilled at getting the players attitude toward the game (as a whole) right. (Yes, I know there may be one or two games abnomality).

BUT, as I said, I agree with you guys. Bani looks fantastic. I just feel that Des is the type of coach that will play an international excperienced player before a very promising rookie.

Those were MY teams though lads...I reckon Des will actually go with:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai
04. Steven Bell
05. Michael Bani
06. Jamie Lyon
07. Matt Orford
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Glenn Stewart
13. Luke Williamson

14. Mark Bryant?
15. Josh Perry
16. Adam Cuthbertson
17. Steve Menzies

How cool is it though, that we should see:-

1. Cuthbo with a solid 1st grade year on the field.
2. Matt Ballin !!

Awesome.

See what you are saying lads, but I honestly think Vaeliki comes down to motivation & attitude.

He was absolutely dominant for a while, had a falling out with Brian Smith (dropped form) - same as a lot of Newcastle players this year for example - then went to a 2nd rate competition in a crappy part of the UK.

I feel 1000% safe in the knowledge that Des is skilled at getting the players attitude toward the game (as a whole) right. (Yes, I know there may be one or two games abnomality).

BUT, as I said, I agree with you guys. Bani looks fantastic. I just feel that Des is the type of coach that will play an international excperienced player before a very promising rookie.

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai
04. Steven Bell
05. Michael Bani
06. Jamie Lyon
07. Matt Orford
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Glenn Stewart
13. Luke Williamson

14. Mark Bryant?
15. Josh Perry
16. Adam Cuthbertson
17. Steve Menzies

2. Matt Ballin !!

Awesome.

Vaeliki snapped his archilles tendon just before he left Parra and his form and pace dropped away alarmingly as a result.

[quote author=Ryan]

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai
04. Steven Bell
05. Michael Bani
06. Jamie Lyon
07. Matt Orford
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Glenn Stewart
13. Luke Williamson

14. Mark Bryant?
15. Josh Perry
16. Adam Cuthbertson
17. Steve Menzies

2. Matt Ballin !!

Awesome.

[/quote]

YeeeEeeEEssss....instead of being a smart arse, there could be the contingency (and I thought this could potentially happen), that Vaeliki could replace Robertson....a relatively great up and coming prospect.
(Actually Kiwi - this could happen)

Therefore my statement stands, and your attempt at belittling is unfounded in this instance ! :lol:

I meant this in a nice way by the way, but my humour is generally atroucious.

Haha, after Robbos effort in the sheds afte rthe grand final, he may well be an up and coming prospect, maybe just not on the footy field

Mate, to be honest, I didn't like Robertson' attitude after the GF loss. I have visions of Hoffman bawling when Melbourne lost in 06, then on the flipside, see Robertson doing the wang propella.

People cope with losing in different ways. Some teams that lose come back bigger and better for the experience, others fade away, still making excuses.

We will know in 11 months how Manly deal with it.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2