2006 Emerging player

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
Every year there are several players that have had a year or two in PL (or Queensland Cup) who burst onto the scene (seemingly from nowhere) but in reality it is because they've been held back a bit and well groomed.

Here's some recent ones:

2004 - Willie Tonga, Cameron Smith, Billie Slater, SBW
2004 - Tim Smith

Who is the most likely candidate to do this for Manly next year? From the two PL games I saw this year it seems that MAtt Ballin is the man most likely. There was a lot of talk about him last off-season and his work ethic impressed.

Seems to me he's been held back this year to gain some experience but will step up to the plate this year now that poster boy Chad has been shown the door.

Don't forget that Cameron Smith came from nowhere to get the Qld #9 jumper in 2004. Could Ballin do likewise next year if Smith were to get injured?

I think the problem is that he will now be competing with Monas as well I would say.

But if it is only him and Dunley he is likely to step up.

Cuthbertson has been held back for 2 years now as well and I think he will make his presence known when he does make it into a regular first grade spot.

I am actually also expecting a fair bit from kane Cleal this year, he has apparantly been working hard on his body shape and been quite impressive from my reports!

Hey Dan, Kane did exactly the same thing last year. He trained all off season and it didn't help him much. If the guy puts his head down and concentrates on playing footy rather than getting on the piss and belting blokes on the field and getting suspended he will be a good player. If he stays the way he is he will always be a fringe first grader. Which is a shame cause i really like the guy.

I agree with Matabele to a point. I don't know about Ballo playing origin this year but if he escapes injury he will be a great player. ****en great bloke too.

Hey Dan, Kane did exactly the same thing last year. He trained all off season and it didn't help him much. If the guy puts his head down and concentrates on playing footy rather than getting on the piss and belting blokes on the field and getting suspended he will be a good player. If he stays the way he is he will always be a fringe first grader. Which is a shame cause i really like the guy.

yeah true but this year he has a real opportunity with Hecks leaving and I have been told this year instead of just training his guts out, he is doing it in specific areas and has been since the season finished.
I agree he has issues with belting blokes and giving away stupid penalties, he frustrated me a lot with that sort of stuff, because like you said, when he played he was quite effective taking the ball up.

I just hope he doesnt have another year of the same and hope that he has matured a bit over the last year because I think he actually could be a very very good player

He has been training heaps! Putting in a huge effort! He is very keen and motivated at the moment and hopefully it will pay off. He knows he has to work on his tackling style and with a bit of luck he will have people working on this area with him. As for getting on the piss ... it has been a long long time, I'm talking months, that I have seen Kane have a drink! That area is definately not a problem!

He knows he has to work on his tackling style and with a bit of luck he will have people working on this area with him.

Does manly actually have a tackling coach to help their players? After the record scores against us in the past couple of seasons I would say that we don't have one.

Manly should get rid of Roach and employ someone like Gillespie who can actually do some good with the players and teach them how to tackle properly - and do plenty of it. Surely this would be a priority.

I think that Clint Halden will be the emerging player this year and fill the 5/8 postion provided that he can stay fit.

Hopefully Crusher can also sign a couple of top line younger players this year that we haven't heard of but with the potential to be the next Lyon or Tonga for us.

Good post Mata......

In fact looking through the Player Profiles, I must admit the cohort had a good look to it....Des has over the past 2 years let most of the "nuffy's" go. The squad smacks of a good mix of youth (potential :D ) but more importantly, experience in the halves & backs.

My roughie from what I saw, is Styles. I reckon he's ready to go.
My odds-on is Alberts. I saw enough in his pace and evasion to think that with a full off season he may spring right out of the box.
If they can dodge injury, I expect huge years from Ballin & Glen Stewart.

Depth wise I like the look of things....alotta young blokes with opportunity in front of them.....a bit Tiger-ish!

I'm just hoping one of the young centres steps up.

There's a good batch of young guys coming through but I only expect 1 or 2 to make an impact.

I'll be redoing the ST player profiles through the month of December.

There may be a few surprises!

I notice that the MSE profiles lack vital stats, weight, height etc. Hope you can supplement here on ST

Also, I always thought that a skimmed down version of the player profiles for PL would be worthwhile. Maybe a place for those who see PL games live to place ratings & comments on the performances. The excitement generated when forums discuss up and coming talent is vastly underated i reckon.

Good ideas.

I'll cover the First grade guys (maybe with some stats help from Flip) Maybe Wheel could do PL?

I'm hoping to update ours over the next fortnight.

Who will do the cheerleaders stats?

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4