• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Am disliking this more every week

Not because we are losing, but the effect they are having on the match

For me they destroyed the 1st half of our match the other, too many penalties, and too many of them for soft, nothing incidents, the best examples being penalties on Kite, Blair and Matai

Today I sit down to watch the Warriors v Dragons, which I thought would be a pretty good game. But once again, the muppets in pink ruined it again, think it was 10 penalties in the 1st 25, and the game had no flow to it, not to mention the inconsistent calling. At 1 stage near the end of the match we were running at a penalty every 4 mins, games are too hard too enjoy when that is happening, you lose the toughness and to and fro of the confrontation

what is worse is that they dont listen to the second ref when they feel like it, happened 3 or 4 times on friday that i heard so they are choosing to get it wrong.

As Des would say - "not a fan".

I really don't like it. I can see it having a benefit down the track, but not in it's current format. The fact that Chris James can have control of a game means that it is totally f*cked up.

In the dying minutes of the Dragons/Warriors match today Stacey Jones was tackled without the ball after a drop goal knock-on. 2 refs on the field and not one of them saw it.

What I don't like is the string of penalties in the first half which then the same rules are forgotten about or changed in the second half. There are also many situations when you hear one ref totally contradcit the other. It is a joke.

Canteen Worker link said:
What I don't like is the string of penalties in the first half which then the same rules are forgotten about or changed in the second half. There are also many situations when you hear one ref totally contradcit the other. It is a joke.

That's what gets me about it. They crack down on the ruck for the first 20 mins to the point where it's virtually touch, then in the second half they go back to normal because they don't want 40 penalties in a game. I was bewildered by that Kite penalty, he didn't look like he was near the ball.
I don't mind the two ref system, I just don't like the degree to which they're trying to speed up the ruck. It's going too far and the game will open up as players get fatigued.

Penalties are consistently deciding the games.  And then the refs blame the players for the poor decisions they make and threaten to send players to the sin bin because the refs are giving so many soft penalties.

Who needs players any more?

I hate this new system.  What was wrong with the one ref and the video ref assisting.  Apart from the heart rate of the one ref being high, or so I've heard,  what was the problem?  Eighty minutes of a high heart rate can't hurt.  It happens with all elite athletes.  And I particularly dislike the absence of the video ref in stripping and other ruck discretions.  Get it right is my mantra, even if it takes a few minutes longer to complete the game.  Get it right! 

I agree with everyone's thoughts. 1/3rd of a second held too long and a penalty in the first 20 minutes, usually on tackle 5 and it changes the whole way the game pans out. Take any other game and it is a completely different interpretation with players just lying there and interfering for ever. Then it is a new set of rules later in the game. The strips are much more prevalent and are right in front of two cops and not one can see it?! I think 2 refs has merits but the way it has gone you just need to be in possession and you know you will hang on to it for 3 sets.

Get rid of it! I am also sick to death of the soft penalties that are costing teams points. If you look for reasons to give a penalty you'll find one, which is what the refs are doing now.

[quote author=Fulton link=topic=180293.msg221541#msg221541 date=1241397926]
Get rid of it! I am also sick to death of the soft penalties that are costing teams points. If you look for reasons to give a penalty you'll find one, which is what the refs are doing now.
[/quoteAgreed. If you look at Manly's stats, they are always penalised heavily in the first half of games, then they get some catch up penalties in the second half. Some of those first half penalties in Friday night's match we're utter BS.
Also when the Storm scored their second try - the result of gaining position due to a penalty, a Manly player was taken out by a Storm guy and the ref blue the whistle straight away.
The on-side was also extremely dodgy in the case of Storms chip-chase try.

Its the end of the game for me, the game is different, i cant even sit down through a full game anymore when Manly arnt playing. Its crap, u work for penalty in ur own end kick it down field and try for repeat sets, eventually they succome and u get a try, go back do it all over again, total BS and becoming more akin to Rugby Union every year. Im over it.

QldEagle link said:
... Its crap, u work for penalty in ur own end kick it down field and try for repeat sets, eventually they succome and u get a try, go back do it all over again, total BS and becoming more akin to Rugby Union every year. Im over it.
And if we're following the Union model, then bring in short-arm penalties.  When a pedantic referee call on a minor or dubious infringement results in 6 more tackles PLUS a 30 or 40 metre gain, or two points, this is simply too much. And these type of decisions decide the games.  For many of these decisions a single extra tackle would be a penalty better fitting the alleged crime. Even a restart of the count without the kick for most current penalties would reduce the referee-imposed distortion.

There are plenty of penalties for players staying on the tackle longer than the referee wants.  Different referees have different interpretations and even the same referee has different interpretations at different times of the length of time allowed. How are players to second-guess?

This seems easily solved. If referees had a device which gave audible count-downs for time allowed (two settings: one normal and the other dominant/submit), then the players would not need to second-guess and the fans could better see objectivity applied.

Rex, when the Mighty Ox is kicking, we never get the 30 or 40 metres.  More like 10 at the most.  The introduction of the two refs was hastened along by Fox.  For what reason, who knows?  It just doubled the cost of the refs on the field.  I guess the NRL has plenty of money to toss around.  My guess is that over time the coaches will come to see this new system as we do.  Total crap. 

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6