1st November player scramble

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean, like the Human Rights Commission? Look, you’re an intelligent guy and you know I didn’t ask where I can volunteer. I asked what were your impactful ways to counter racism that don’t involve calling out inappropriate stuff when we come across it.

You know I already posted this in the Tyrone thread last week:

https://humanrights.gov.au/sites/default/files/casual-racism-faqs.pdf
What should I do when I encounter casual racism?
A change in social attitudes is necessary for combatting casual racism. Everyone can
contribute to this change through speaking up against racism when they encounter it

And from the same source:

when bystanders stay silent, it sends the message that racism is acceptable
Bystander action | Racism. It Stops With Me

They actually suggest deleting online posts or banning posters, but for one thing The Who is a valuable and respected poster here so I’d always prefer to discuss an issue

As do we all. But footy doesn’t exist in a vacuum and whenever social issues arise in the world of NRL you always jump into the discussion as much as anyone else! Which is a good thing. There was discussion in the Tyron thread when I replied to The Who, and you put in your detailed, reasoned opinion, as you were quite entitled.

So who made you emperor dictator and Big Brother to lay down what Silvertails is all about? When you signed up here you indicated you understood the terms, which clearly spell out the sorts of things that are not permitted.

There's not much footy on at the moment and if you don’t want to read or comment on a post no-one’s forcing you.

We are talking at cross purposes here. Your post calling out The Who for a poorly thought out, throw away line, has had exactly the opposite effect to what you originally intended. It (the post) was a poor attempt at humour, that didn't even reach the very low bar of a "Silvertails bad dad joke".

Unless of course your goal was to inflate your own sense of importance, (in your eyes and others as well) by calling the poster a casual rascist. You have effectively magnified the issue by expanding on it publicly, when you had the opportunity to do so privately.

Effective forum moderation can be done subtly or bluntly. In this case accusing a poster of being a casual rascist directly, as you did, was an overstep. Me calling you out on this, is a reasonable response to that overstep. It could be argued that your original response was more about you, then it was about Gordon. I will leave that there though.

I have no interest in dictating anything on here. You are doing an excellent of that yourself.

My whole argument was predicated on practical impactful ways to counter racism in Australian society. Moderating a forum (except in relation to hate speech, Xenophobia and race based bullying) does not, and never will, be an impactful mechanism to counter what is an endemic and systemic issue. The fact that you think it is says a lot more about you then it says about me.

There is a massive difference between hate speech etc and the Who's original post. I just find it somewhat laughable that you are continuing to magnify and exaggerate a non-issue that could have been dealt with effectively via a private message. Personally, I think you owe the poster a public apology, for character denigration. If you had directed that at me I would have been pretty straightforward in my response.

There is a massive difference between hate speech etc and the Who's original post.
No kidding. No-one ever said it was hate speech. It was a poor joke that meets the classic definition of casual racism and it was clearly deliberate because we'd discussed that very topic only 2 days earlier.
You have effectively magnified the issue by expanding on it publicly,
Thank you I thought it was worth expanding on publicly, there was certainly no point in further discussing it privately with the Who because we'd already done that and his view is that whoever has pushed this 'casual racism' line should lighten up and gain an appreciation of 'casual humour'.
Anyway it seems the two approaches have been well canvassed so I'm closing this thread, it's well past 1 November anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8