1978 Finals series - motivate these blokes to avoid the spoon

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
View attachment 9301

c43fbe1c5d31d0d410c0286f4550f7df

That is just such a great photo. I remember that 1978 finals series so well.

Would 17 losses in a season be the most losses ever by a Sea Eagles team. Actually, would 16? We may have broken a historic record already.

Bet these players don't give a **** either way.

Even if we get the spoon, they'll be out celebrating on the piss like I've both seen and heard about in recent times after being hammered by another team.

That is just such a great photo. I remember that 1978 finals series so well.
Hate to be a party pooper, but that photo looks to be from 1981, when then head of selectors Ernie Hammerton suggested both players could be in the running for a return to the Australian team.

That photo looks like it’s in the Brookvale dressing rooms, not the SCG.

Besides that emblem patch was introduced in 1980.

After a soft defensive showing tonight, lets hope the boys will all take a tea spoon of cement and toughen up next week against the Broncos. Maybe even turn up after half time!!!!
Being a Gold Coaster, I enjoyed the Double Header when we actually flogged the Broncos this year!!!
Unfortunately, the Manly owners and management dont seem to understand the formula of proven success with their BS Statement today suggesting the unavailability of past champions Des and Geoff who are waiting un-contracted on the sidelines for a shot to instill some much needed Manly DNA back in the squad. Why not offer these guys a contract, with your so called masturbating "results orientated' bonuses paid if we make the eight, or win some semis, or heaven forbid, after doing so twice previously, win the Grand Final!!- pay these guys a BONUS

By the way, the Mad Scientist formula for success is quite simple:
dH + 2V = 2xPremierships
dH = Des Hasler - A coach with a great Grand Final Hit Rate, virtually strolling past Scott's Home every morning waiting for a NRL Spot
2V = Geoff Toovey - the toughest Manly Player that ever was. Bled for the club. How many pretty boys making massive club decisions today have actually bled for the club?
We need some Manly DNA Back

Today 40 years ago began day one the magnificent 23 day campaign to win the 1978 premiership by these legends.
And it began with an untimely loss to our eventual grand Final opponents the cronulla sharks to the tune of 17-12 at the SCG.
Little did they know what that loss meant to shape what lay ahead.
I watched some highlights last night and our defence was terrible.
Biscuits Stanton must've been tearing his hair out at the soft tries the sharks scored.
And I think training week would've been pretty savage.
Next up lay parramatta.

This week 40 years ago was not only the most pivotal for this amazing sides journey to this seemingly impossible premiership quest but one of the most important in the Sea Eagles history.
We owe the men involved in the 2 upcoming games an incredible debt because we went oh so close to only having won 3 not 4 premierships in the 70s but also only having 7 to our name now.
On Sunday 3rd September 1978 Manly took on arch rivals Parramatta at the SCG.
With time running out Manly were down 13-5.
Manly's fighting spirit came through with 2 tries.
One a Russell Gartner blind side special in combination with Alan Thompson, saw frogs eyes split parra's defence and his speed did the rest to give us a 13 all result.
The replay, scheduled for Wednesday 6th of September was incredibly controversial.
Ray Price was sent off for kicking Wombat Eadie in the head, opening him up like a tin of sardines and John Gray sent off as as a square up, robbing him of a Grand Final appearance.
Greg Hartley awarded a 7 tackle try to us that has had the blue and yellow halfwits bleating ever since but the fact is plenty went their way too, to again put them in front well into the 2nd half.
Again enter Thommo and frogs eyes with a right side replica that again had the eels falling for the 3 card trick, to hand Manly a 17-11 victory.
After this game injuries and suspension started taking a toll, having lost johnny Gibbs the previous week with a hamstring injury.
But class and courage continued to shine through.

Today 40 years ago at the SCG the legendary team entered game 4 in 14 days against the whinging Wests magpies.
The result was a classic case of one team of superficial tough guys being found out.
In fact the writing had been on the wall for some weeks for Wests but their overrated, win nothing super coach Roy masters, failed to pick it up.
And that was that no team was scared of them anymore particularly the Manly Sea Eagles.
After the infamous face slapping bloodbath at lidcombe in the first round Manly beat wests in the second round at Brookie.
The game on this day showed a champion team defeating a blowhard team of one trick ponies 14-7.
Wests bigmouth forwards failed to show up after a massive Terry Randall tackle destroyed big Dallas Donnelly completely demoralising the magpies resolve.
But we were a battered team after so many games in a fortnight.
However they were in the big dance against Cronulla.
One game to go.
Or was it...

At 3pm today in 1978 the Mighty Sea Eagles took the field for what was to be the season decider against the Cronulla sharks.
It was to be the teams 5th game in 20 days and that had taken an enormous physical toll on the players.
Recognising this, coach Frank Stanton had called in an army major to talk to the players about endurance relaying his experiences in Vietnam and impressing on the team that they were just playing sport that it wasn't life or death such as he had faced so push yourself to the limit.
It was another brutal game emphasised by a Graham Eadie special on the great Steve Rogers that left sludge prone on the ground.
After 80 minutes and one try and 4 goals a piece a second drawn grand final in history had occurred.
The bad news was, no extra time but a replay 3 days later.
Just what our battered warriors didn't need.
So on Tuesday the 19th, game 6 for the Sea Eagles, Manly won an anticlimactic decider 16-0 at the SCG.
A record 8 players were selected for the kangaroos who were to leave in 2 days time.
Terry Randall withdrew through injury and John Harvey for personal reasons.
This team deserves the ultimate recognition as our greatest ever Sea Eagles for this amazing feat.

Today 40 years ago began day one the magnificent 23 day campaign to win the 1978 premiership by these legends.
And it began with an untimely loss to our eventual grand Final opponents the cronulla sharks to the tune of 17-12 at the SCG.
Little did they know what that loss meant to shape what lay ahead.
I watched some highlights last night and our defence was terrible.
Biscuits Stanton must've been tearing his hair out at the soft tries the sharks scored.
And I think training week would've been pretty savage.
Next up lay parramatta.

Was that the game Manly led 1-0 at halftime? Johnny Gibbs field goal.

Enjoyed all your 1978 post Harvies elbow!

Found this - 5 mins covering the two grand finals.

Brissie Kid, never happened. There was a Grand Final where Souths lead 1-0 against St George in 1971.

Brissie Kid, never happened. There was a Grand Final where Souths lead 1-0 against St George in 1971.

I was wrong as this says the halftime score was Manly 4-0. http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/s...inal/cronulla-vs-manly-warringah/summary.html

Looking at the points for Manly to get to 4-0 it must have been a combo of a field goal and a try as Eadie only got one goal all game. I thought was 1-0 score but maybe it was from 3-0 to 4-0. So long ago.

Cronulla Sutherland Sharks 17 Manly Warringah Sea Eagles 12
Halftime Score
0 4

Tries Eric Archer Simon Booth
Mick Mullane Jnr Russel Gartner
Steve Rogers Ian Martin
Goals Steve Rogers (4) Graham Eadie (1)
Field Goals John Gibbs

Thanks mate.

I think the game that you refer to was a club game that we ended up losing but that's just from memory.
Gibbsy was done for with his hamstring during this series.
Though he played 2 games on the kangaroo tour he was a self confessed passenger on tour.

*just read your previous post.
Our memories aren't that bad apparently...

Mr Google helped!

https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndLegendsNationalRugbyLeagueMuseum/posts/1075519392525075:0

National Rugby League Museum

25 August 2016 ·
On This Day In Rugby League

August 26, 1978, Cronulla 17 def Manly 12

This major preliminary semi final at the SCG was a thriller that opened with some furious forward exchanges before John Gibbs opened the scoring with a field goal after 24 minutes.

Two minutes before half time Gibbs put Russell Gartner into a gap and “Frog Eyes” was on hand to take a return pass from Tom Mooney and post the first try for a 4-0 lead at half time. By that stage Manly led the scrums 9-7 and trailed the penalties 6-5.

A Steve Rogers penalty soon after the break put the Sharks on the board and then Eric Archer posted their first try with a simple change of direction from a loose ball. Midway through the half they took control when Dave Chamberlain sent Mick Mullane over.
Randall sent Eadie across with 15 minutes left to narrow the gap for Manly but a try to Rogers sealed the Sharks' win before a last minute try to Ian Martin.

For Cronulla Steve Kneen, Greg Pierce and Paul Khan stood out up front whilst Mick Mullane had an outstanding second half after an unhappy first 40 minutes. Terry Randall, Gibbs, Mooney and Eadie were best for the Sea Eagles.

Teams were: Cronulla – M Mullane, R Bourke, D Chamberlain, S Rogers, S Edmonds, B Andrews, S Hansard, G Pierce (c), E Archer, S Kneen, G Stares, J McMartin, P Khan (Coach N Provan)
Manly – G Eadie, T Mooney, R Gartner, S Knight, S Booth, A Thompson, J Gibbs, B Walker, T Randall, W Springall, J Gray, M Krilich (c), I Thomson Reserves: I Martin, R Branighan (Coach F Stanton)

Cronulla 17 (E Archer, M Mullane, S Rogers tries Rogers 4 goals) defeated Manly 12 (R Gartner, G Eadie, I Martin tries, Eadie goal, J Gibbs field goal)
Referee: J Danzey Crowd: 17,718

14086402_1075519392525075_3256458349062369165_o.jpg

Imagine the NRL media crisis if a field goal was the first score in a 2018 game!

Mr Google helped!

https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndLegendsNationalRugbyLeagueMuseum/posts/1075519392525075:0

National Rugby League Museum

25 August 2016 ·
On This Day In Rugby League

August 26, 1978, Cronulla 17 def Manly 12

This major preliminary semi final at the SCG was a thriller that opened with some furious forward exchanges before John Gibbs opened the scoring with a field goal after 24 minutes.

Two minutes before half time Gibbs put Russell Gartner into a gap and “Frog Eyes” was on hand to take a return pass from Tom Mooney and post the first try for a 4-0 lead at half time. By that stage Manly led the scrums 9-7 and trailed the penalties 6-5.

A Steve Rogers penalty soon after the break put the Sharks on the board and then Eric Archer posted their first try with a simple change of direction from a loose ball. Midway through the half they took control when Dave Chamberlain sent Mick Mullane over.
Randall sent Eadie across with 15 minutes left to narrow the gap for Manly but a try to Rogers sealed the Sharks' win before a last minute try to Ian Martin.

For Cronulla Steve Kneen, Greg Pierce and Paul Khan stood out up front whilst Mick Mullane had an outstanding second half after an unhappy first 40 minutes. Terry Randall, Gibbs, Mooney and Eadie were best for the Sea Eagles.

Teams were: Cronulla – M Mullane, R Bourke, D Chamberlain, S Rogers, S Edmonds, B Andrews, S Hansard, G Pierce (c), E Archer, S Kneen, G Stares, J McMartin, P Khan (Coach N Provan)
Manly – G Eadie, T Mooney, R Gartner, S Knight, S Booth, A Thompson, J Gibbs, B Walker, T Randall, W Springall, J Gray, M Krilich (c), I Thomson Reserves: I Martin, R Branighan (Coach F Stanton)

Cronulla 17 (E Archer, M Mullane, S Rogers tries Rogers 4 goals) defeated Manly 12 (R Gartner, G Eadie, I Martin tries, Eadie goal, J Gibbs field goal)
Referee: J Danzey Crowd: 17,718

14086402_1075519392525075_3256458349062369165_o.jpg
I actually thought that happened in about 81...

Imagine the NRL media crisis if a field goal was the first score in a 2018 gamefi

Maybe that was the day Rick Chisholm scored all of Manly's points? Was that vs Cronulla too.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/s...d-11/manly-warringah-vs-cronulla/summary.html
That game when Rick Chisholm scored all the points against Cronulla. Manly had players out for a Test if I recall correctly. That match earnt Rick a handsome contract with Newtown. He single handled turn the game on its head against Cronulla. And it was a Channel 9 TV game.

Imagine the NRL media crisis if a field goal was the first score in a 2018 gamefi

Maybe that was the day Rick Chisholm scored all of Manly's points? Was that vs Cronulla too.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/s...d-11/manly-warringah-vs-cronulla/summary.html

Remember that sunny day like it was yesterday.:inlove:

Rick was a cute and pesky half that tormented the Roos Captain Greg Pierce all game :p

Pity Rick was flicked by Arko for his off field bad behaviour.
He died young from some cancer RIP :angel:

NYYBfAQnlz6Y2BcTPkDOUOUSvqODav-bhkNzmMWNpbcnrfY2ZVv3txQIxkZ1zat-u4Prlz3c4tplZ_bEAb9y95Sq-TH2FkWez1t5IUJwxsYqZ1IAhyf1XRX0Ij4C2IDyZrLE0Mdjgw=w289-h450-nc

Last edited:
Would 17 losses in a season be the most losses ever by a Sea Eagles team. Actually, would 16? We may have broken a historic record already.

Bet these players don't give a **** either way.

Even if we get the spoon, they'll be out celebrating on the piss like I've both seen and heard about in recent times after being hammered by another team.

Yes, you are correct (well it was equal with 2003). In order of worst losing seasons

2018: 17 Losses (Barrett)
2003: 17 Losses
2016: 16 Losses (Barrett)
2004: 15 Losses
2002: 14 Losses

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8