Writing on the wall for Toovey it seems

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
In respect of concerns over speculation we are getting Barrett I recall a story that highlighted the two current "schools" of coaching. Those that developed under Bennett (Bellamy, etc) and those under Fulton (Hasler, Cleary, etc).
Maybe the idea is that Barrett has already done some time under the Fulton "style" with Cleary and will complete his apprenticeship with us under Fulton's tutelage. A great opportunity for Barrett you would think (if true).

Edit: moved to correct thread

Barrett reminds me of Mitchell Pearce and Andrew Johns the 3 of them can't even put a sentence together. Of all the bloody coaches out there why him . Didn't myles come out and say he was looking forward to playing under a straight shooter like tooves . Nathan brown even smacked Barrett in the face because he wouldn't listen and do as I say .

I believe tooves biggest problem is the way he manages his bench players or lack of it. We always seen to get rundown. Evan when we lost to the roosters in the grand final, we had em but the boys gassed out. Tooves stay calm in the box and injury's permitting finish the last 10 to 15 mins of the game with a rested starting forward pack. One other thing mate use all your inter changes. Good luck little champ hope your there for many years yet.

Last edited:
OTE="Mitch, post: 690698, member: 5833"]@BulldogRitchie: Geoff Toovey won't be sacked mid-season, as has been suggested.[/QUOTE]
Seriously we can't believe anything @BulldogRitchie says. Remember Zorba is the leak in the club and all the information gets fed to Ritchie. So realistically to take the heat of Zorba his mate is going to tell all that Toovs is safe. In actual fact he's a dead man walking. IMO of course

I don't see the problem with 2V being a club legend player, and a coach that gets the arse.

He will be remembered as the 1/2 of choice for all the important milestone teams. He will also be remembered as a coach that made it to his "level of incompetence" and was replaced by someone that could easily turn out to be far more incompetent.

Nothing will tarnish his playing reputation, and I certainly won't think any less of him because the MWSE owner decided to sack him.

At best, we are members of a club that owns 10% of team. Our votes are simply the $'s we will spend on merchandise, tickets, and assorted game day paraphernalia. If 2V is sacked by the owner, so be it. It's not my choice, nor can I stop it. I can only control the amount of $'s I will give Penn in the future because of his actions.

Last nights game was an example of the frustration I'm sure we all feel. A game to be closed out and won against the odds, and yet we didn't. Coaches are paid to make sure things like that do not happen. Players are paid to do what coaches instruct. Therein lies the disconnect.

Good luck 2V - I have no problem with you staying coach, nor will I think less of you if Penn decides to boot you for the team's/your failures.

Something eventually has to change.

Wtf is all this talk about Barrett. The bloke has never even coached a first grade team. Tooves has made a GF ffs.

Wtf does this muppet Barrett understand about the Manly culture and our will to win. I am in absolute shock. I am so stunned that our club legend and life member Geoff Toovey is to be replaced by Trent Barrett that I am going to lie down.

Ivan Cleary, Des Hasler sure but Trent Barrett?

Wtf is all this talk about Barrett. The bloke has never even coached a first grade team. Tooves has made a GF ffs.

Wtf does this muppet Barrett understand about the Manly culture and our will to win. I am in absolute shock. I am so stunned that our club legend and life member Geoff Toovey is to be replaced by Trent Barrett that I am going to lie down.

Macgregor hadn't either, had he????

We currently don't seem to have the will to win. Past Manly teams would have found a way to win last night, but this team can't or won't. Tooves is a legend, a great bloke, but it's time to try something different to Hasson, a player who is emblematic of the Toovey coaching era.

Does anyone know of any actual info from the Club?
I say this because until now we have been immune from such speculation. Admittedly that would be because we've been nowhere near the bottom of the table for a very long time. My point is that in years past I can clearly recall speculation of just about every coach of any team near the bottom of the ladder. The media start it and sometimes, bingo!, they get their quarry.
More column inches, more papers sold.
It's not just NRL, ask Mick Malthouse and the Central Coast Soccer guy.
In NRL the talk is not just about Tooves, but Arthur and the Cronulla bloke as well.
It seems to come with the position on the table.
The question is, how much will/is our club/owner going to buy into it.

Last edited:
The question is, how much will/is our club/owner going to buy into it.[/QUOTE]

I think the media are being fed by the owners or the representatives.

I couldn't have worded it better( well I could, but I'd get banned). It's sickening to see how many fans have been brainwashed into the whole lets punt Tooves scenario. For what, that he hasn't got Hodges on to replace Ballin...seriously you think they don't realize there's a problem there. Obviously there is a problem with Hodges, otherwise he'd be there. Tooves didn't hesitate getting an 18 yr old out there, and didn't hesitate bringing him straight back in. Dead-set some of you wanna be forum coaches are having a lend. Nothing we say on here is Nostradamus like to the coaching staff. They have that many people contributing as it is. Do you really think Tooves is going to be sitting there going.." If only I'd listened to the Silvertails coaching commitee"...

Well our mate Buzz Frothfield is reporting that Tooves is definately safe til the end of the year.

Fantastic. He deserves no less.

The article also had a dig at the SMH for their reporting on Snake's post try celebration after he surpassed Beaver's one club record. Apparently, it was meant to be an imitation of Beaver on the dance floor.

Toovey would not even think of this. He is bereft of imagination and adventure.
Heard of David Williams and Micheal Oldfield? How about Blake Leary and Jorge Taufua to name a few players who have debuted and been dropped under his watch

No imagination but drops players faster than Dollar Dasler whose had Tony Williams in his starting team for the lumps entire career under him and bought then stuck with Chris Bailey for what 2 seasons until he went to ESL? He has Sam ****ing Perrett as a fullback who himself has no attacking skill whatsoever

Massive injury toll or not. We are not a bottom four side. We are not scoring points and our halfs still don't know how to set up for a field goal after how many years.I want him to stay but we need to start winning.

The question is, how much will/is our club/owner going to buy into it.

I think the media are being fed by the owners or the representatives.[/QUOTE]
What is the basis for that, any facts or just a theory you have made up.

Can't help but feel that this whole coach thing, is a smokescreen by the head office.

One to distract from their inept ability to keep together the premiere halves combination in the NRL.

Two a scapegoat, for what is the worst injury plagued start to a season in recent history. They say it's not an excuse. I beg to differ, when the club hasn't had their best team on the field for any games, this season so far.

Therefore if Geoff goes I go.

I hope Penn sacks him can't keep going on like this. He will not be coach in 16 time 2 let him know and get on with it. Clean out needed I hope Donny get's the bullet also along with Warwick 2 many people have got way 2 comfortable time for a massive shake up. Bozo is behind this and I support him 100%.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8