Writing on the wall for Toovey it seems

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I hope Penn sacks him can't keep going on like this. He will not be coach in 16 time 2 let him know and get on with it. Clean out needed I hope Donny get's the bullet also along with Warwick 2 many people have got way 2 comfortable time for a massive shake up. Bozo is behind this and I support him 100%.
Might as well go for parramatta

This is what they do

I am sick of this season. Finding it really hard to enjoy my league this year. This is kindie crap. Someone just make a decision already and tell us fans what the hell is going on.
How does a proud club like Manly end up like this? It is ridiculous

I am sick of this season. Finding it really hard to enjoy my league this year. This is kindie crap. Someone just make a decision already and tell us fans what the hell is going on.
How does a proud club like Manly end up like this? It is ridiculous
Yeah just watching the Roosters and feeling a bit jealous of their desire to win.

I hope Penn sacks him can't keep going on like this. He will not be coach in 16 time 2 let him know and get on with it. Clean out needed I hope Donny get's the bullet also along with Warwick 2 many people have got way 2 comfortable time for a massive shake up. Bozo is behind this and I support him 100%.
Mate,is there anyone you want at the club?? You want everyone risolled ffs. Your the biggest wet blanket on these boards. Pull your head in

Wow, sack the coach, bullet the head trainer and talent scout? If you have a spare few million, why not buy the team and run it yourself? You can even coach it!!

Can't help but feel that this whole coach thing, is a smokescreen by the head office.

One to distract from their inept ability to keep together the premiere halves combination in the NRL.

Two a scapegoat, for what is the worst injury plagued start to a season in recent history. They say it's not an excuse. I beg to differ, when the club hasn't had their best team on the field for any games, this season so far.

Therefore if Geoff goes I go.
So long.........

What you say is so true, our problems around the ruck is the cheap metres we weekly concede because we allow too many quick play the balls.

We have a hooker whos role is mostly defence and hes great at that but our attack suffers because there is little thrust from dummy half.

We need someone nippy who can get us a penalty, when you see Scam Smith and Luke at Souffs consistently get penalties for their teams its a an area where we are really behind.

We always seem to be on the back foot with this. Last night was a great example, we dominated territory but we had no guile to score points that would have put the game to bed.
hodges?

Mate,is there anyone you want at the club?? You want everyone risolled ffs. Your the biggest wet blanket on these boards. Pull your head in

Plenty of people I want 2 keep at the club and a few I would like punted . Wet blanket lol just keeping it real. I shan't be "pulling my head in" just opinions don't have 2 agree.

Wow, sack the coach, bullet the head trainer and talent scout? If you have a spare few million, why not buy the team and run it yourself? You can even coach it!!

I don't need 2 buy it 2 have an opinion and it looks like it's shared by the owner in regards 2 the coach at least. If coach go's as he will (see out this year new coach 16 ) new coach will bring in his own staff. To many people have got complacent simple it happens and they need 2 be tapped on the shoulder.

Talent scout have you seen our u20's? they are legless without Tom T. New scout with some new eyes won't go astray.

Geoff Toovey’s future at Manly on the line as Daly Cherry-Evans’ decision deadline approaches

D-Day is coming and it’s coming fast for Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey.

Depending on who you talk to, the Sea Eagles legend is either locked into the Manly chair until at least the end of the year, or already out the door.

After what feels like a lifetime’s worth of speculation, the future of star halfback Daly Cherry-Evans will also be determined once and for all come June 10 when the NRL’s ludicrous Round 13 deadline finally lapses.

With reports highly regarded Panthers assistant Trent Barrett is waiting in the wings and ready to don the maroon and white at a moment’s notice, we run through the factors for and against Toovey’s retention for the remainder of 2015, and how Cherry-Evans fits into the mix.

THE DCE FACTOR

What does it mean if Cherry-Evans backflips on his $5.2 million, four-year deal to join the Gold Coast next year?

Word over the weekend was Cherry-Evans is now leaning closer to staying on the Peninsular, though that changes by the hour.

About the only certainty in this situation is that wherever the Maroons utility lands, that club’s coaching position suddenly becomes a hell of a lot more desirable.

If Barrett has any misgivings over joining the club, having one of the game’s truly elite halfback in his stable would do plenty to ease them.

By the same token, should DCE honour his contract with the Titans, it could prove the final straw for Manly and Toovey, the factor that pushes them toward a fresh start under a new head coach.

The reverse could apply just as easily — If DCE stays it could give Toovey another lifeline to cling to as the whole saga finally disappears once and for all (fingers crossed).

If it sounds like we’re sitting on the fence here, it’s because we are — there’s just that much speculation and innuendo around this whole shambles that it could go either way.

THE CASE FOR

The players still back him

Toovey is popular with the Sea Eagles roster, and has remained so despite the side’s lean run in 2015 that has them sitting at the bottom of the ladder. Back-rower Jamie Buhrer said as much a few weeks ago when quizzed on the speculation surrounding Manly’s clipboard carrier.

“When I signed on, I signed on with Toovs as head coach,” Buhrer told News Limited.

“I suppose it’s extra motivation as players because it is quite unfair that he is copping the stick that we should be getting as players.

He’s had a horror injury toll

Manly still have the cattle to keep up with any side in the NRL, getting them on the park has been the issue this year, something Toovey can hardly take the rap for.

His star halves Cherry-Evans and Keiran Foran have only paired up together five times as the competition reaches its halfway point, while big names Jamie Lyon, Steve Matai, Feleti Mateo, Brett Stewart and Jorge Taufua have all been sidelined for various chunks of the season.

Key front-rower Brenton Lawrence has only played one game, while Buhrer and young gun Clinton Gutherson are both gone for the year with ACL ruptures. Any side in the game would struggle with that sort of cavalry watching from the stands.

The runs are on the board

When Toovey took the reins from Des Hasler after Manly’s 2011 premiership triumph, plenty predicted the house that Des built would crumble overnight. It didn’t.

With Toovey in charge the Sea Eagles clocked up an impressive 65 per cent winning record across his first three years at the helm, making two finals appearances and finishing 2013 as runners-up in the process. If those numbers aren’t worthy of a little leeway during a rough patch, what is?

He’s a favourite son of the club

Toovey bleeds maroon and white, and there will be a fan backlash if he’s forced to walk.

That shock of blonde hair was a permanent fixture at Brookvale during his 286 games and three grand finals for Manly and the Northern Eagles, just as much as his bald head has been since retiring and taking up first the water bottles, then the clipboard. His treatment by the club has already got plenty off-side, and the Sea Eagles faithful won’t stand idly by if one of their favourites is punted.

THE CASE AGAINST

The winds of change have been blowing for a while

With 10 consecutive finals appearances, the Manly bubble was always going to burst sometime, though not many would have predicted it happening so dramatically.

The departures of Brent Kite, Jason King, Glenn Stewart and Anthony Watmough in recent years have signalled the changing of the guard, and a new coach could well be a part of that.

Jack Gibson always said a coach’s maximum stay at a club should be no more than five years, lest the joint grow stale and players become comfortable. Toovey first joined the Sea Eagles coaching staff way back in 2004, having retired from the playing field only three years earlier.

Head office aren’t sold on him

Toovey is in this predicament because the top brass at Manly have sent more mixed messages than a dyslexic Morse code operator. CEO Joe Kelly is on record as backing him to see out his current two-year deal.

Chairman Scott Penn is also on record saying poor results this year will have Toovey in the firing line. Significantly maroon and white officials were mum on the issue after the tight loss to the Cowboys on the weekend, with silence in similar cases in the past deafening for an under fire coach.

Another poor result against the Broncos on Friday night will likely give the necessary ammunition to march Toovey out the door.

Trent Barrett is one of the game’s best young coaches

Fairfax Media has reported repeatedly over the past week that Barrett is ready to step into Toovey’s position, having “all but agreed to terms” with Manly for 2016, and could be there within the next fortnight.

He comes from Penrith — with General Manager Phil Gould’s blessing — with big raps after graduating from the Under 20s to Ivan Cleary’s assistant this year. Barrett has also impressed Sea Eagles heavy hitter Bob Fulton during their time together in rep camps, and his experience as a top notch half is seen as a potential plus in Cherry-Evans’ retention.

Manly do sit bottom of the ladder

No bones about it, the Sea Eagles have hardly soared in 2015 thus far, and have themselves the worst for and against the competition at its halfway point.

Manly are only two wins shy of eighth placed Penrith, and are certainly capable of clawing their way back up the ladder.

Whether they can sneak into the finals in a few months time is another matter. Last year Brisbane qualified in eighth place with 28 points, pipping the Warriors on points differential — the Sea Eagles will need at least nine wins from their next 13 games to reach that mark.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...dline-approaches/story-e6frf3ru-1227378069003

I don't need 2 buy it 2 have an opinion and it looks like it's shared by the owner in regards 2 the coach at least. If coach go's as he will (see out this year new coach 16 ) new coach will bring in his own staff. To many people have got complacent simple it happens and they need 2 be tapped on the shoulder.

Talent scout have you seen our u20's? they are legless without Tom T. New scout with some new eyes won't go astray.
Opinions are great but you said "I hope" not "this is what needs to be done". The you state "he will not be our coach in 2016", source of this statement? Also, you don't fire/bullet people for complacency, you put them on a performance plan to fix the situation. If they value their job, things will start to turn around.

I have never met tooves but after watching him play train and coach since 1988 I consider him a personal mate of mine. If tooves gets the punt there will be trouble.

Opinions are great but you said "I hope" not "this is what needs to be done". The you state "he will not be our coach in 2016", source of this statement? Also, you don't fire/bullet people for complacency, you put them on a performance plan to fix the situation. If they value their job, things will start to turn around.

If Bozo has been hired 2 go into the football department and try 2 sort it out and he thinks that Toovey (a guy he loves) is no longer the best man for the job I'm certainly not going 2 argue with that. The easy thing would be 2 do nothing. I don't need a source after all this speculation have you heard 1 person in power at the club come out and deny anything? not a simple press release nothing.

I dont think sacking toov's and replacing him with Barrett mid season will accomplish any thing
If and when the team gets back to playing with both 1/2's and the same team week in week out for at least 5 games
I think then we can gauge if we are going to improve with Toov's
Games can go either way in this comp and results hard to get when you can't field the same team every week
I just think Toov's should get a bit more lee-way with all the distractions and injuries we have had
But unfortunately i dont think that will happen cause of certain happenings and the powers to be at the club

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4