1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can we expect from the Ox?

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by joevolcano, Dec 31, 2009.

1. joevolcano

joevolcano New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was over the moon when I heard we had signed Orford for 2010, I watch NRL games via the internet and rate him very highly.

Now since then I've been on various forums including our own at the BBC website and a few of you Aussies don't rate him.

The nickname "Awful Orford" has cropped up a few times on this site when I've been trawling through the posts.

Is he any good or is he a player on the slide that's well past his best.

Cheers

P.S Watch out for former Bull Big Sam Burgess in 2010, the lad is absolute class.

2. kingyfan

kingyfan Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    His nickname is dwarford.

You can expect lots of 10 metre drop outs and kicks for touch, grubber kicks over the dead ball line and lots of kicks straight to the opposition full back on the full.

He is worse than Jye Mullane.   

3. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    he is ****, so should go well in a **** comp like England

4. eagle-rock08

eagle-rock08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    I hope he achieves for you what he did for us.  Playoffs every year with two grand final appearances and won fantastic win.

5. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    Your comp is slower than here - the defense isn't so keen so that will give him that little bit longer to make better decisions. I think the Bulls will do well this year with him.

6. King

King Active Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 3
    Hi Joevolcano,
    I am tipping it will be a great year for the Bulls. Orford, LeStrange and Hall are all very solid additions to the squad. All played an intergrel part of the 2008 premiership.

Orford....... he is a bit of a mixed bag.
    Orford has plenty of knockers, he wouldn't be in the top 3 halfbacks in the NRL but would probably rate around 5th or 6th behind the likes of Thurston, Prince, Cronk and Kimmorley. Orford's strenghths would be his defence and short kicking game. For his size he is a strong little bloke, hence the nickname the Ox.
    Orford likes to be the dominant ball player which is also his weakness, he becomes very predictable and can tend to play too sideways once teams catch on and put pressure on him.
    I hope the bulls have an established goal kicker and someone with a long kicking game. Orford has a very poor long kicking game, he struggles to pin teams at their own end of the field. His drop outs are terrible and he struggles to make the distance with goal kicking from the sideline.

Ideally the bulls need a 5/8 or fullback that can take the pressure off Orford. Someone who can run plays with the ball in hand and clear the ball with long kicks. His combination with Menzies and LeStrange in attack is a bonus, he should settle in straight away if LeStrange is playing dummy half.

Overall the Bulls could have done alot worse. I look forward to seeing how they go in 2010.

7. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    King is spot on. Wot 'e sed.

8. Rambo1987

Rambo1987 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +212 / 2
    He'll be a star over there - he had one bad year but the whole team played ordinary throughout the year. Manly will struggle more without him than the Bulls will go with him. My prediction Bulls 1st = Manly 6th 

9. niccipops

niccipops un echidna spillo mia bevanda Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,521 / 50
    If he spends any time in his garden, particularly at night, someone might steal him.

10. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    He'll go alright over there.  I mean in Luke Dorn can top the try scoring list and Michale Monaghan play regular first grade, then Orford should be able to bamboozle some of those dopey Yorkshireman they put in the forwards,

11. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    He'll probably win a Man of Steel award to go with his Dally M, which will just prove there is no God.

12. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    no C & C it will just prove that god has a sense of humour

13. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Or that he is a far better player than some like to give credit for :p

14. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    dont be stoopid Kiwi, thats impossible :)

15. larry tate II

larry tate II Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    The Orford bashing still goes on.. ::) Where is the constant bagging of some of the other underperformers of '09?

16. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    Welcome to the site larry.

17. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    have a look through some old threads Larry, everyone copped it at one time or another.

18. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    The biggest underperformers of 2009 were Max Delmege and his Board laccies. 

19. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    The other underperformers didn't win a Dally M and didn't single handedly deliver us a premiership on a silver platter. ;)

20. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    very amusing C & C.