What can we expect from the Ox?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
lsz link said:
My question re the half back situation is this.....

How many half backs can you remember leading their team to a competition win in their first year of first grade? I cannot think of any.....but am happy to be corrected.

How about Shane Perry? (Brisbane 2006)

Fluffy link said:
we need to ride this year and next out to give our younger guys time to learn their trade
Great idea. Except - by then some of our other guns will be on the wane.

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
[quote author=lsz link=topic=182224.msg248623#msg248623 date=1262753981]

How many half backs can you remember leading their team to a competition win in their first year of first grade? I cannot think of any.....but am happy to be corrected.

[/quote]  Lockyer might have had 6 on his back but no doubting he was the half-back style playmaker.

Shane who?

If he could guide the team he would still be there now....

I can't see why we wouldn't be in the top four come September this year and then go on from there.  Looking at all positions on the field we come up to most teams and more than most.  I think our half 5/8th combo will go OK, and if all those bludgers from 09 get their acts together, then there's no reason why we won't win the silver.  We have a very good no 1, competent 9, good 7 and 6 (Foran or Lyon).  Our pack needs to put on their 08 jumpers and win us our first four games and go on from there.  The poor start was a major problem for us last year.  See, I got through a thread without bagging the Ox.     

DSM5 link said:
I can't see why we wouldn't be in the top four come September this year and then go on from there.  Looking at all positions on the field we come up to most teams and more than most.  I think our half 5/8th combo will go OK, and if all those bludgers from 09 get their acts together, then there's no reason why we won't win the silver.  We have a very good no 1, competent 9, good 7 and 6 (Foran or Lyon).  Our pack needs to put on their 08 jumpers and win us our first four games and go on from there.  The poor start was a major problem for us last year.  See, I got through a thread without bagging the Ox.     
It all sounds good DSM and I will be approaching this year with cautious optimism, still hoping the Hodgkisson/Foran combination is a goer as I'm somewhat concerned with having Matai and Farrar as our centres.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=SeaEagleRock8 link=topic=182224.msg248715#msg248715 date=1262918281]
[quote author=lsz link=topic=182224.msg248623#msg248623 date=1262753981]

[/quote]  Lockyer might have had 6 on his back but no doubting he was the half-back style playmaker.
[/quote]

Watch that game - Shaun Berrigan played a second 5/8 and outplayed Lockyer - Shane Perry played stop gap behind the 2. I think he got the Churchill medal.

Honestly people are joking if they think we can win the comp with 2 inexperienced halves. Lyon will be 5/8 to help Foran through and hopefully Hodkinson comes off the bench but Des is likely to use Seu Seu for that. Iwould like to see nothing more than to see us win the comp but reality sees us fighting for 6-8th spot.

I hope Matt Cross is something good but he only played 14 games last year and couldnt crack the Gold Coast side the year before also he only played 30 games for the Panthers over 3 years. But the same could be said for Hall and Bryant who played their best footy at Manly.

I am concerned if we have Farrar & Matai as our centers but also Wolfman was caught out of position alot last year. But I bet Des will use Lyon at 5/8 and that leaves Foran at 1/2 who I believe is a 5/8. Either way if we go into the with 2 new halves we will push to make the 8 but we will better for the following year or we risk playing both Hodk/Foran and probably right the year off but expect every man and his dog on this site to attack them like they Orford.

Either way I will be at Brookie every home game with my kids and a beer, watching my Manly run around so bring it on.

Also I think Orford deserved better from his other than being attacked by fans for last season - last year their were many other reason before it even kicked off and blaming him is bullsh!t but what ever gets you fans through it.

joevolcano link said:
He captained your side to the grand final that you went on to win by a record score.

He'll do well in SL as the standard is no where near that of the NRL.

Just finished watching the GF again a couple of days back.

The tries scored were and from memory set up by:

Ballin - Set up by Ballin
Robbo - Set up by B Stewart
Robbo - Set up by Orford
Robbo - Set up by B Stewart (sort of when he threw that ball along the ground!!)
Kite - Set up by King/Le Strange
Williams - Set up by ??? Maybe Le Strange
Beaver - Set up by Beaver
Bell - Set up by Hall

Orford had a couple of cracks at goal and missed all from memory.

There were 2 things that Orford did that stood out for me. One was the kick that set up Robbo's try and the other was a tackle that he he made and knocked the ball out of the Melb blokes hands.

Apart from that I'd say his impact was minimal.

clontaago link said:
[quote author=joevolcano link=topic=182224.msg248474#msg248474 date=1262631541]
He captained your side to the grand final that you went on to win by a record score.

He'll do well in SL as the standard is no where near that of the NRL.

Just finished watching the GF again a couple of days back.

The tries scored were and from memory set up by:

Ballin - Set up by Ballin
Robbo - Set up by B Stewart
Robbo - Set up by Orford
Robbo - Set up by B Stewart (sort of when he threw that ball along the ground!!)
Kite - Set up by King/Le Strange
Williams - Set up by ??? Maybe Le Strange
Beaver - Set up by Beaver
Bell - Set up by Hall

Orford had a couple of cracks at goal and missed all from memory.

There were 2 things that Orford did that stood out for me. One was the kick that set up Robbo's try and the other was a tackle that he he made and knocked the ball out of the Melb blokes hands.

Apart from that I'd say his impact was minimal.
[/quote]

and you were able to quote that to me along with the minute of each try while you were half cut the other day. 

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6