What can we expect from the Ox?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think Brett will have an outstanding year, I have a gut feeling he will be both physically and emotionally tougher and this will have a roll effect towards the team in general.
Kite knows he owes Dessie after last years performance and Seu Seu might just turn out to be the x-Factor. I'm probably totally deluded in regards to the above comments but I need to believe they will play with passion.

I predict we will finish top 4 this year as we have a number of players off contract and they will want to impress for one more contract before they head to the UK to suck their clubs dry to add to their superannuation.

The attitude of our players was terrible last year due the the grand final hangover and we will see a vastly superior and hungrier attitude this year.

Foran and/or Hodkinson will provide to be a worthy half back and give us new direction that we lacked last year. 

I for one look forward to goal line drops out that go more than 20 metres and kicks for touch that gain us more than 10 metres.

Imagine how good we will be when our forwards have an extra twenty to thirty metres from penalty kicks.

Lets just say that the club was happy to see Orford go this year and expected it from very early in the season last year

We have a new halves combo that is inexperienced but is new & young & hungry. We have a pair that is a good combination of toughness in Hodko & skill with Foran. I am optimistic about their performance in 2010 but I temper that knowing that in finals type matches the inexperience will prevent us from going all the way.

Our backs will show us more this year. They will have more room to put on speed. The return of the bullet will lift confidence & their energy levels. We saw virtually no Snake inspired trick plays in 09 and i expect a whole new ball game this year from all our backs. Wolfman is over his 2nd year syndrome.

The props worry me. Perry & Kite so underperformed that I have to question if their heads are going to be in the game. Rose/King can only do so much. Cross might spark some competitive spirit but you cant hang you hat on that. Des lacks a bit in terms of being a motivational leader. He needs to add some of that to his quiver of skills. There are some impressively large packs out there that might have it all over our blokes this year. With a new halves combo a lot rests on how Des can extract some go forward. This area is where i am least confident.

Jatz Crackers link said:
Rose/King can only do so much. Cross might spark some competitive spirit but you cant hang you hat on that.

It is Ok as Jason is used to carrying the workload of the rest of the forwards.  

In fact he has been developing specific excercises during the offseason to help him cope with the extra workload next year.  A lot of lifting and bending excercises required.

My question re the half back situation is this.....

How many half backs can you remember leading their team to a competition win in their first year of first grade? I cannot think of any.....but am happy to be corrected.

Regardless of potential a rookie halfback will struggle to replace the experience of Orford.

All that said it is the smarter long term decision however I am not sure it will lead to short term results

kingyfan link said:
It is Ok as Jason is used to carrying the workload of the rest of the forwards.  

In fact he has been developing specific excercises during the offseason to help him cope with the extra workload next year.  A lot of lifting and bending excercises required.

Yes I see your point. But im still unconvinced that King will improve by lifting your hips and bending down behind you.

Mata will tell you that it might only revert him back to his old ways of backing himself into the opposition.

Kite will have a big year this year.  His head was all over the shop last year after the death of his father.

Chip & Chase link said:
We went backwards last year WITH him.
True, C&C.  Just like the fact that we moved forwards in every other year he played for us until moving forward became numerically impossible.

As usual have to enjoy DSM's courage of his convictions under the prospect of significant egg-on-face if his "Ox is the cause of all our problems" thesis is disproven.  Non-defensive, unlike some.  Hope you're 100% right.

Rex link said:
[quote author=Chip & Chase link=topic=182224.msg248579#msg248579 date=1262725388]
We went backwards last year WITH him.
True, C&C.  Just like the fact that we moved forwards in every other year he played for us until moving forward became numerically impossible.

As usual have to enjoy DSM's courage of his convictions under the prospect of significant egg-on-face if his "Ox is the cause of all our problems" thesis is disproven.  Non-defensive, unlike some.  Hope you're 100% right.
[/quote]

I prefer the "Orford wasn't the single master of our destiny" theory. Wasn't happy about the prospect of spending another $350K p.a. over 3 years to prove or disprove it though. I'm confident the right decision has been made and looking forward to this year. I'm prepared to wipe some egg away if necessary, but I'm already looking for some humble pie recipes to serve up when we make it past the first week of the semis this year. If you have a favourite one let me know.

Totally agree with C&C.  Wouldn't have minded seeing Orford around for one year, perhaps 2 for a pay cut.  But not long term on big dollars at the expense of young talent.

You guys are dreaming and believing the tripe that you read.  Orford was never going to be paid big money.  We weren't a club in the same dire situation as when he arrived, nor was Orford the same player being at the back end of his career.  Analyses of one player determining a club's destiny - one way or the other - are for the simple-minded.

Obviously the measure of success this year is not last year with all it's non-stop alcohol and sex scandals, media and NRL bashing, major injuries, political in-fighting, etc, etc, etc.  Much as some wish to attribute these effects to Orford, in all fairness to Orford, that is one huge stretch.

In the world according to Rex there is a lot of dreaming and simple mindedness.

Orford has gone, so let's see how this season pans out.

Of course Orford wanted big money and he wanted a long term contract for personal security.  It was his last payday.  He simply did not deserve the money of top shelf halfbacks.  He's not a rep jumper of any note and he was on the wrong side of 30 already, mid 30s by the time the contract ended.

Agreed C & C.  It'll be interesting to see how the younger guys go.  Talking to a Parra supporter yesterday, he thinks Hodkinson will go well.  He thought it was a big mistake for Parra to let him leave.  Anyway the new blood mixed in there with the old will generate some interest, instead of looking towards the same old same old (read Matty).  Now that 2009 is behind us I'm starting to get excited.        

One bloke,amongst many,who owes Des is Glenn Stewart.I thought he had a monumental bludge last year.Don't use his brothers hassle as an excuse,he is supposed to be a professional.Hopefully he will won't be a ROML this year.(Resting On My Laurels.)

larry tate II link said:
One bloke,amongst many,who owes Des is Glenn Stewart.I thought he had a monumental bludge last year.Don't use his brothers hassle as an excuse,he is supposed to be a professional.Hopefully he will won't be a ROML this year.(Resting On My Laurels.)

You could also say the same last year about Perry and Mattai.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4