Vave to the Eels

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Can someone please explain how Manly have let go of Vave to the Eels on a two year deal? He is one of our best forwards this year and they can’t match Parra’s offer. Bloody joke. He offers more than any other front rower in our club other than Lussick at the moment.
Depends what Parra's offer was. If KeithSheldon is right and it's roughly double, then I'm glad we didn't match it. Don't get me wrong, Vave has been impressive this year, but if he's on say $200K (I doubt it's any less), should we pay $400K for a bench forward who plays 20-30 min??? That is a Parramatta mindset and exactly why they're in their current mess.

due to Global Superannuation devaluations, parra pay overs for all players as they are concerned about their bottom line for an early retirement

Last edited:
Depends what Parra's offer was. If KeithSheldon is right and it's roughly double, then I'm glad we didn't match it. Don't get me wrong, Vave has been impressive this year, but if he's on say $200K (I doubt it's any less), should we pay $400K for a bench forward who plays 20-30 min??? That is a Parramatta mindset and exactly why they're in their current mess.

I will tell you right now. Parra have offered him a significantly larger deal than we did. I dont have the exact numbers but it is bigger. They can't really get anyone else to sign there, and they have tried. Believe me.

I like the look of Jamil Hopoate. If he can contain his dickhead behaviour and redirect his energies to his football, he could become something quite special. I see a lot of Buhrer in him

Vave came to us as a part-time bench player from a weaker club. He'd be on $100K max. Now consider that he is fulfilling the role that we are paying mr Taupau for...and paying him more like $500K...and I can't help feeling a bit ripped off that we can't offer him a bit more. He is a forward leader, and his energy lifts the side big time when he comes on. Was captain of our reserves last season, and is a very respected club man. Should have been a long-term Manly player...

I would have kept him over starling and lawrence. Plus mateo and burgees will not be resigned. I thought he bends the line more than any other manly player plus he can ball play which is huge. No other manly player can except jake.

losing Vave does not make sense !

but he was a Toovey recruit .... ahhh this now makes sense

he is a unique prop and handy to have in your roster !

its very sad

losing Vave does not make sense !

but he was a Toovey recruit .... ahhh this now makes sense

he is a unique prop and handy to have in your roster !

its very sad
The club didn't want to pay overs, but we have the big 4 young forwards who will replace him.

I would have kept him over starling and lawrence. Plus mateo and burgees will not be resigned. I thought he bends the line more than any other manly player plus he can ball play which is huge. No other manly player can except jake.
I agree, but I get the impression he is attracting more interest and demanding more money than Starling and Lawrence on the open market so it's not a cut and dry case of keeping him over Starling and Lawrence when you consider the price point of each player.

Personally, I would have kept him, but we aren't privy to just how much those crazy buggers at the Eels are forking out for this guy.

I do hope we opt out of re-signing Lawrence after this season because his body is clearing breaking down on him. Starling is a keeper for the right price.

I agree, but I get the impression he is attracting more interest and demanding more money than Starling and Lawrence on the open market so it's not a cut and dry case of keeping him over Starling and Lawrence when you consider the price point of each player.

Personally, I would have kept him, but we aren't privy to just how much those crazy buggers at the Eels are forking out for this guy.

I do hope we opt out of re-signing Lawrence after this season because his body is clearing breaking down on him. Starling is a keeper for the right price.
BJ is signed for 2017

Another player attempts to beat one of league's biggest career killers

Manly fans are asking why the club didn't do more to hold onto powerful prop Siosaia Vave.

Several clubs were looking at poaching the big fella away from Brookvale for next season, with Parramatta winning out in the end.

The Sea Eagles were keen to hold onto the cult hero after his outstanding season but couldn't match the coin on offer at the Eels.

For Vave's sake, let's hope he beats the curse of players switching from Manly to Parra only for their careers to go belly up.

http://www.sportingnews.com/league/...-of-origin/1l9t0zksw9b891tg8z0eekstlm/slide/4

Calculated gamble to let him go - lets face it he's 28 and he's played this good footy for what half a season so far whilst battling for a new contract. He's been good for us ( of late ) but let's face it...Clubs who pay overs for such players are taking a risk.

We can't keep them all - I know there's been doom and gloom for most of this year but I honestly believe we are 3/4 of the way towards building another team than can be a contender again in the next 2 to 3 years, if not sooner. The output of the team isn't there yet but there's plenty of good young players emerging that we'll have to hang on to. Can't risk losing one of them to keep a guy like Vave.

Are we really worried about him going to parra? Sucks to lose him, but his form will drop once he is there.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8