Vale Brookvale?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
A move to W.A. would see long term fans leave in droves and attracting new fans in an AFL heartland could prove problematical. You'd hope the powers that be would take this into account before leaping in blindly but somehow I doubt it.
Certainly some recent comments by Kelly regarding taking one of our games there this year and the potential of Perth as home (again) to a league team, suggests he and Scorick are thinking about taking the money and running.

All the stuff about the desire to stay at Brookvale has been a smokescreen. I have a theory that the conversations at Brookvale back in 2014, between the Scorick clan and Kelly (when they decided to recruit him to replace Perry) centred in part on moving to a new home - either in Sydney or elsewhere.

They should focus on Rat Park with a design incorporating sustainable features (ie materials like cross laminated timber, renewable energy, etc) so then a vote against the project is a vote against sustainability. If it's a political battle then take a political angle.

The writing is on the wall for Brookvale, it will be used for one off games here and there but we will ultimately be faced with playing the majority elsewhere. Peoples views of refusing to support the team based on where they play is disappointing. I am a Westie, always have been but as a kid i picked my team based on a scarf my mum bought me and stuck with the club despite being asked why i support the Sea Eagles. I don't support the club based on the location, have no reason to. I support the team based on the way they play the game, the players and above all loyalty, same reason i didn't switch my allegiance from Sydney FC to WSW just for convenience when they came into the A-League. I get to at least half the home games at Brookie each season and i work in Wollongong.

I'm not claiming to be the best supporter of the club, far from it but Brookie is not an easy place to get to for all the other supporters that don't live around the area. SFS wouldn't be any easier tbh but who cares. As long as there is a team to support, where they play is irrelevant. Supporters for Wests coming from Campbelltown, Panthers supporters coming from Penrith have a longer trip to ANZ than Manly supporters to ANZ so it's not any easier for a lot of supporters, but Sydney is a growing city and what used to be whoop whoop in the 70's is now the largest growing part of the city.

The game is a different beast compared to what it used to be, where you come from and your heritage should be something you are proud of but you need to adapt to changing environments and unfortunately for the Manly Sea Eagles moving from Brookie is the change that will happen.

The writing is on the wall for Brookvale, it will be used for one off games here and there but we will ultimately be faced with playing the majority elsewhere. Peoples views of refusing to support the team based on where they play is disappointing. I am a Westie, always have been but as a kid i picked my team based on a scarf my mum bought me and stuck with the club despite being asked why i support the Sea Eagles. I don't support the club based on the location, have no reason to. I support the team based on the way they play the game, the players and above all loyalty, same reason i didn't switch my allegiance from Sydney FC to WSW just for convenience when they came into the A-League. I get to at least half the home games at Brookie each season and i work in Wollongong.

I'm not claiming to be the best supporter of the club, far from it but Brookie is not an easy place to get to for all the other supporters that don't live around the area. SFS wouldn't be any easier tbh but who cares. As long as there is a team to support, where they play is irrelevant. Supporters for Wests coming from Campbelltown, Panthers supporters coming from Penrith have a longer trip to ANZ than Manly supporters to ANZ so it's not any easier for a lot of supporters, but Sydney is a growing city and what used to be whoop whoop in the 70's is now the largest growing part of the city.

The game is a different beast compared to what it used to be, where you come from and your heritage should be something you are proud of but you need to adapt to changing environments and unfortunately for the Manly Sea Eagles moving from Brookie is the change that will happen.

You supporting Manly makes you disloyal to your local team in my view. I'm glad to have you on board to bolster the numbers though.
My attitude to people from the Beaches who support other teams, or people who move to the area that want to carry on with the hate crap (happy for them to support their original side, just don't move here and bag the area) is "get the f**k out of my area".

It's a tribal game. The location of where we play is essential to the identity of the club. I support the maroon and white Manly Warringah Sea Eagles from Brookvale Oval. If any of that changes, the club is not the same and an assessment would have to be made on whether continued support is warranted or if in fact it is the club who has been disloyal to us.

If forced into a move to one of these stadiums (not my preference), ANZ may give us the best long-term shot at surviving and thriving - by getting new supporters on a rail line.

Might as well rebrand and get a new logo if we go to ANZ, as we'd lose most of our existing supporter base and have to attract a new one.

Most Manly supporters would travel by car I would have thought. The SFS is not too bad by car from the northern beaches or lower north shore, but ANZ... In peak hour on a Friday... Kill me now.

Homebush is a long way... Just ask Des!!

You supporting Manly makes you disloyal to your local team in my view. I'm glad to have you on board to bolster the numbers though.
My attitude to people from the Beaches who support other teams, or people who move to the area that want to carry on with the hate crap (happy for them to support their original side, just don't move here and bag the area) is "get the f**k out of my area".

It's a tribal game. The location of where we play is essential to the identity of the club. I support the maroon and white Manly Warringah Sea Eagles from Brookvale Oval. If any of that changes, the club is not the same and an assessment would have to be made on whether continued support is warranted or if in fact it is the club who has been disloyal to us.

Happy to disagree with you on the first point as there are a lot of ppl that support teams that haven't lived in the cities they represent (i.e European Football, American sports etc). You don't have to be a local to support a team and you are only disloyal to a team if you support them and then change your support for another team for whatever reason.

That's a can of worms you're opening up there. I've lived my life in Adelaide and have only spent about a month of it on Sydney's northern beaches while visiting relatives who live in Cromer. Adelaide did have a team for a short while (2 years), but that didn't stop me from supporting Manly who I've been following since 1982. On the contrary, I supported both in 1997 when they played in separate competitions but only Manly from 1998 when they were both in the NRL. Just because my home town had its own team (and a fresh one at that, not a transplanted one) didn't mean my loyalties suddenly changed.

Fans of a club or franchise or whatever they want to call it can come from anywhere. They don't have to be born and bred locals.

I'm an Arsenal fan, but have never even been to London.
I'm a Lakers and Dodgers fan, but have never been to Los Angeles.
I'm a Leeds Rhinos fan (except when they play us or the Kangaroos), but I've never been to Leeds.

I don't see anything but hate out there for Manly. Unfounded hate. It's not even jealousy. They don't know why they hate us.

Is that the Manly you want to support? A compromised, hollowed out, watered down McFranchise version of our club?

We should have died with dignity rather than disgracing our name by associating with the scummy cellar dweller bears fifteen years ago. It's been one compromise after another since then.
the hate was totally the responsibility of Masters simple as that,before he opened his fat mouth we were pretty much on a tribal par with the rest,our success only bought jealousy:envy:.

Dan Ginane on Triple M on Saturday said that if Allianz Stadium was on the doorstep of Central Station, then the stadium plan had a chance of working.

• 🤝
Reactions: Rex

Brutal and deluded. They don't call it the insular peninsula for nothing.
My guess is a worldwide poll of Manly supporters would find that the majority don't live in Manly or Warringah.
Personally, I lived in Gladesville when my dad took us to my first ever footy game. It was the 1972 Grand Final and I've been a rusted on supporter since then, through my years of living in Bondi, Leichhardt, (primarily) Newtown, and now the Central Coast. Many, many people are the same, became a supporter for whatever reason and make the regular hike to a Brookie.
End of rant part.
What I think:
Brookie will go the way of Leichhardt and Belmore and just host the odd nostalgia game.
Rat Park doesn't even have nostalgia value so the NRL won't even sanction the place.
We won't move to Perth because then we wouldn't be Manly - never underestimate the value we have as most hated. It's an essential part of any sporting narrative. Like Collingwood, NY Yankees, etc, we are essential.

Some comments like Duffs are just sh*t and not worth the paper they are written on. Followed Manly for over 50 years ..rarely lived in the area.

The Warringah Council has one chance to have a first class playing field facility in the area with the majority of the funds coming from state and federal governments. It will be Brookvale oval or nothing. The Council and Club would need to be solid together to have any chance of a government paid upgrade. So aint happening.

Don't refer to Warringah council - their days are numbered. The decision will shift to Manly or Pittwater.

Don't refer to Warringah council - their days are numbered. The decision will shift to Manly or Pittwater.
I don't think it matters Loobs. No local council whatever their branding will commit significant funding to "save Brookie" and bring it into the 21st century.

• 🤝
Reactions: Rex
That's a can of worms you're opening up there. I've lived my life in Adelaide and have only spent about a month of it on Sydney's northern beaches while visiting relatives who live in Cromer. Adelaide did have a team for a short while (2 years), but that didn't stop me from supporting Manly who I've been following since 1982. On the contrary, I supported both in 1997 when they played in separate competitions but only Manly from 1998 when they were both in the NRL. Just because my home town had its own team (and a fresh one at that, not a transplanted one) didn't mean my loyalties suddenly changed.

Fans of a club or franchise or whatever they want to call it can come from anywhere. They don't have to be born and bred locals.

I'm an Arsenal fan, but have never even been to London.
I'm a Lakers and Dodgers fan, but have never been to Los Angeles.
I'm a Leeds Rhinos fan (except when they play us or the Kangaroos), but I've never been to Leeds.

Chelsea
Nuggets, Rockies, Avalanche
Catalans - Horo / Stewart

it would probably just as easy to drive to gosford for a sunday game as going to homebush or wherever they want to play,its all about bums on seats these days and brooky just dont have it,anyone remember back when it was called collarbone with the dry mud/cricket pitch ridges up the middle,early 60s it was a shocker but now its time to find a new home ground,Rat sounds the goods.

I don't think it matters Loobs. No local council whatever their branding will commit significant funding to "save Brookie" and bring it into the 21st century.
Not save Brookie, I was talking backing a shift to redeveloped Ratty.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8