Vale Brookvale?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I realise things are rarely cut and dried, for me, if we play out of the northern beaches we are still MWFC if we move over the harbour bridge we risk becoming a some soulless franchise.

Nothing beats standing on the hill at Brookie screaming your lungs out surrounded by fellow supporters.

So you believe your whole life comes down to fate rather than informed choice?
I choose to believe the opposite.

Not at all. Football is very different to the rest of life. My attitudes at the football would disgust me in the real world.
But the fact that I was born at Mona Vale hospital and grew up in Cromer is simply a fact.

Do you support Australia in the cricket and Olympics, or whatever sports you follow?
If you do, is that simply leaving your life to fate or is it supporting the team that represents you?

If you needed to move to Brisbane for work or love, who would you support Duff?

And if Manly, should the locals tell you you're disloyal? And to go live in Manly if you want to support them?

And if Manly, should the locals tell you you're disloyal? And to go live in Manly if you want to support them?

I would still support Manly as that is where I'm from. That is who I am. My point is about people who come from my background but don't support Manly. Not people who've moved later on.
What I wouldn't do is put a Manly sticker on my car and tell the locals how much I hate their team and therefore their home. I would have supported the Broncos in the finals series, as Manly wasn't there. It's just courtesy if you're a guest in someone else's region.
I've given this much thought. As a musician, moving to Melbourne was a very real possibility at one point. The Storm lads would've got a shock when for that one game a year I turned up in a different jersey and sat with the away fans. Especially against their biggest rival.

I would still support Manly as that is where I'm from. That is who I am. My point is about people who come from my background but don't support Manly. Not people who've moved later on.
What I wouldn't do is put a Manly sticker on my car and tell the locals how much I hate their team and therefore their home. I would have supported the Broncos in the finals series, as Manly wasn't there. It's just courtesy if you're a guest in someone else's region.
I've given this much thought. As a musician, moving to Melbourne was a very real possibility at one point. The Storm lads would've got a shock when for that one game a year I turned up in a different jersey and sat with the away fans. Especially against their biggest rival.
Does not putting the Manly sticker on your car - and presumably taking it off if you've already got one on - mean that you'd effectively hide the fact you're a Manly fan - as much as possible - so as to not cause offence?

And on that basis, respecting their region, should I remove the Manly sticker from my car when I travel through Redfern or Lidcombe?

Nothing on this wide earth would convince me to move to Brisbane, not work and certainly not love, so I am unable to contemplate what you are saying.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
I live in the Illawarra and many people down here don't go for the Dragons. There's two main reasons: Footy has been played here since 1913 but the Steelers didn't enter the comp until 1982, so many fans already had a Sydney based team. Some may have jumped ship, others not. The other reason is more obvious, why support a merged team that involves the other team keeping their logo and jersey with only 'Illawarra' tacked onto the bottom of the logo?

Me personally, my family settled on the beaches when Manly was a new club and most of us since then have followed the team. So when you're a kid and you have people if your family already supporting a team, people you look up to, the choice is simple. Go Manly!!

I always had a soft spot for the Steelers, in school we'd call them the Sheilas :)

I
What I wouldn't do is put a Manly sticker on my car and tell the locals how much I hate their team.
I live in the midst of rural donkeys/Queenslander nutters territory.
My car proudly displays Manly stickers and I love telling the locals how much I hate their team - I do this in a sweet and charming way of course and always will.

I live in the Illawarra and many people down here don't go for the Dragons. There's two main reasons: Footy has been played here since 1913 but the Steelers didn't enter the comp until 1982, so many fans already had a Sydney based team. Some may have jumped ship, others not. The other reason is more obvious, why support a merged team that involves the other team keeping their logo and jersey with only 'Illawarra' tacked onto the bottom of the logo?
When they merged Illawarra got to keep their socks.

They're an ungrateful lot down there.

so reading this thread there are about half the Manly fans from out of the area seem to think fan numbers wont drop.

History shows us that we get 10K + at Brookie and are lucky to scrape up more than 1K anywhere else. The Manly don't travel line exists for a reason. Because we won't get 10K plus anywhere else but Brooky.

Add to that unless we get back to 15K+ average crowds there is no need for a 50K stadium that will have less than 5000 Manly fans in it.
Attended games at Parra Stadium and Penrith when packed---- there was much more than 1K of Manly supporters in attendance, big SFS crowds when the game is a block buster or Semi, if the game feels like an event and well promoted Manly fans will attend the SFS.

Home game Brookie crowds i recall back in the 90's (from a report done) was a 60 to 70% Locals----30 to 40% outside the local area split. (damn good outside the local area figures considering the location and poor public transport into Brookie)

People keep harping on about the poor SFS finals game crowd against the Cowboys of 10,000(when there was a general lack of interest due to our success and not a knock out game on a cold night) and not mentioning hitting around 30,000 against the same team in a previous finals game at the same location.

We've seen at the Storm GF when the game is an event, has some meaning and well promoted there are many Manly supporters who actually prefer more central locations(The Roosters sell out Monday night football mid 90's)----i would gather to say most Sydney Manly supporters have never even visited Brookie due to the hard to reach location.

Too much pride is getting in the way and creating a "Manly must remain at Brookie mentality at all costs", and promoting the "95% of Manly supporters reside in Manly and will never travel which is a major beat up.

Penriff is lucky to have 500 manly fans, get there most years, parra 1-2K and others vary.

Sure occasionally we get a good away crowd but an exception does not make the rule

When they merged Illawarra got to keep their socks.

They're an ungrateful lot down there.
My mistake, ungrateful indeed. An that's another thing: not one, but TWO upgraded stadiums in the past few years which has less games than Brookvale combined. Wtf??

My mistake, ungrateful indeed. An that's another thing: not one, but TWO upgraded stadiums in the past few years which has less games than Brookvale combined. Wtf??
Not to mention Jubilee. That's what happens when you have a PM as your local member who's a full-on, rather than photo-opportunity, supporter.

Did the Mayor or Council clarify the cost of the upkeep of Brookie Oval? There has been so much misinformation. I've seen reports that it was costing the Council $1M a year in upkeep!
I'm sure we'd all like to know the true figures. ie:
How much does it really cost the Council to maintain Brookie to NRL standard?
How much is the club actually paying the Council per season?
What would the Council do with Brookie Oval if its major tenant left?
What would the oval become?
How much money would that save the ratepayers?

thats what they say to me,the three team wankers:D

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8