Tooves and Hookers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hmmm...that sorta shoots my theory that it was Hodges who was not up to the coaches expectations as to why he hadn't got him on the bench to bits.
I'm not calling for Tooves head, but that one hooker theory in today's game and Tom T's non-selection last week certainly won't stop the Barrett rumours.
I know you're an accountant Tooves, so departing from the norm is not in your DNA, but I reckon it's now or never.

I just watched 2v on 360

He is 100% correct. One Hooker

All the best teams have one hooker - period. Always a very good hooker.

The question for 2v - is Matt Ballin the best hooker for Manly? Manly just signed him for two more years

Hodges is not a serious option long term.

IMO Jamie Buhrer is the best option moving forward as Manlys hooker. He would be sensational.
The one hooker theory is great if you've got a decent pack of forwards that can get a roll on. We haven't. Tooves has to try something else to gain momentum.

I don't think you can ever have a concrete style as a coach, I think you've got to look at your squad - which will change year in year out - and adapt to do what's best for those particular players, because that will be something completely different to all the other teams.

So for our hooking dilemma you have to look at it and weigh up strengths and weaknesses and find a balance. I genuinely believe that the best thing for Manly is having Hodges on the bench, but at the same time to say Matty Ballin is past it is unfair and a bit daft. He's never been a livewire from dummy-half, he tackles like a demon and provides quality balls out. He's still doing that, and don't forget he is Manly through and through - people want commitment this year and he will be the most committed on the field without a doubt. He still has a massive part to play at Manly for the remainder of his contract.

BUT - we can't ignore the fact Hodges is a real talent. I can see him being a real asset to us in years to come, and he brings that spark off the bench. He asks entirely new questions of a defence and our slow attack could benefit from him greatly this year.

It does disappoint me that Tooves seems to be very ignorant of that for whatever reason. It disappoints me more that it is because he is unwilling to adapt something new that could be a positive change, because of a stubbornness about his preferred tactics. Sometimes when things clearly aren't working - and they're not - you need to be honest and make a change.

No way Ballin is up to playing 80 minutes at this stage of his career. How can Tooves not see it.
Hodges was our best in last years finals series and should've been in the 17 from round 1.
Big blunder from Tooves IMO

I'm a big fan of Hodges and would have him in the 17 every week, he adds speed that Ballin just doesn't have.
Very disappointing to hear tooves talk that way, a good coach should always be open minded and adaptable.

There's new coaches coming guys There'll be no more favouritism.If they think a new hookers required i'm sure they'll replace him.
I'm a big fan of Hodges and would have him in the 17 every week, he adds speed that Ballin just doesn't have.
Very disappointing to hear tooves talk that way, a good coach should always be open minded and adaptable.
Tooves definitely seemed 'off' tonight on 360. I do feel sorry for him but it is clearly not working with him as head coach and can see why Penn etc are doing what they are doing.
If only he could see what all of us can see and bring on Hodges towards the end of each half.

The one hooker theory is great if you've got a decent pack of forwards that can get a roll on. We haven't. Tooves has to try something else to gain momentum.
That and the fact that Ballin isn't getting younger. He is a tad slow but has great service at dummy half and is one of our best defensively. But he's tiring out towards the end of games and our forward pack aren't too productive.

Hodges for a 10-15 minute stint at the end of both halves (subject to the match situation) would be great to get over the opposition's tiring forwards. We could keep Matt in the game for those high pressure situations when we just need good, reliable service from dummy half and as few errors as possible.

I'm not trying to pump up stmergers tyres here,but they rotate both there hookers quite well in rein and l'estrange and look where they are,if we look back in 08 we did the same with ballin and l'estrange and the result,premiers.so I just can't understand why toovey doesn't adapt to that theory,using hodges say every 20minute rotating with ballin would only benefit the team all round.

Pretty disappointing attitude from Toovey re the hookers.
He did himself absolutely no favours last night and to me just cemented why he unfortunately needs to go.

My original post wasn't saying anything about whether or not Ballin is the guy for 80 mins. I love the guy. But plenty have been calling for Hodges to get a run so was more an FYI that that ain't gonna happen...

Also Tooves view on that seemed to be based on his experience playing hooker. So something c20 years out of date.

I think tooves is ok with a utility forward like ferris who can slot into hooker. That allows him to keep more than a 20 minute player there

There have been 2 scrum wins against the feed this year. The traditional hooker is coming back! More scrums I say. Go Tooves!

Tooves has just signed his own death warrant, Er sorry, resignation. The subtext to those comments are surely along the lines of "I've had enough, so don't tell me how to select players"

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8