The Ashes, 2023.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Close but no cigar. Our batting this series has lacked starch so that capitulation was on point. The inclusion of Woakes and Wood into pommy attack made a massive difference to last 3 tests though, they bowled well.

Of course that knob Broad would have to take the last wicket. Can't say I'll be sad to see the back of him. Absolute punish.

Our bowling was also a tad disappointing and lacked penetration at times. The goat was a massive loss. Would have been nice to have a Terry Alderman type bowler.

I only watched a number of the morning sessions - what's the opinion of Australia's strategies to counter Bazball? I know there was plenty of criticism of the spread fields and short pitched bowling, but I don't know the theory behind all that. Were we sort of successful in keeping them in check? Or hardly at all? For the future how better to attack it, given England aren't likely to change their style anytime soon?

Can't agree with that. Australia went into the Poms backyard to give them a chance to take the Ashes from us, they couldn't do it.

Not to mention - it's impossible to steal something you already own yourself!

In the end 2-2 was a fair result, I think after the long campaign with India and the World test championship Australia was flagging a little by the end.
Good points, but judging the comments coming from Cricket fans form all over the world, the Poms were the better team and clear winners in there eyes.

I only watched a number of the morning sessions - what's the opinion of Australia's strategies to counter Bazball? I know there was plenty of criticism of the spread fields and short pitched bowling, but I don't know the theory behind all that. Were we sort of successful in keeping them in check? Or hardly at all? For the future how better to attack it, given England aren't likely to change their style anytime soon?
Bazball or no Bazball I thought we bowled poorly with the new ball in most of the tests. Too full, drifting into pads, unable to build pressure. I don't mind the defensive field after a while to dry up the boundaries but start with attack in mind. Good line and length bowling will still build pressure and bring chances regardless of the mindset of the batsman. Their bats aren't any wider, nor their reflexes any better just because they want to attack. As for the sustained short pitch bowling for long periods, that was pretty negative cricket. Both teams guilty of it though. It seemed to me we didn't have any plans for specific batsman, or if we did we certainly didn't execute them effectively. Can't be too critical though because we did win 2 tests and went close in this last one, so clearly doing something right. If we got pumped 5-0 after using those tactics then you could say we got it totally wrong

Last edited:
Good line and length bowling will still build pressure and bring chances regardless of the mindset of the batsman. Their bats aren't any wider, nor their reflexes any better just because they want to attack
Yeah I assumed we'd bowl and set fields in our usual manner and see if their attacking play was good enough to avoid the nicks that usually happen, but we seemed to go on defence very quickly,or at times from the outset.
Test cricket has been well and truly shaken up though so no doubt we'll continue to see more variations and probably from other national teams too, so plenty of time for the Aussies to tinker with tactics to combat it.
Overall though it was a great series. I thought our batting was quite brittle, maybe they were psyched out by the free-flowing England hitters. Anyway in the end I was annoyed we couldn't take it 3-1 or at least 2-1, but a series draw hard to argue with, I'll go with 'cricket was the winner'.

Overall though it was a great series. I thought our batting was quite brittle, maybe they were psyched out by the free-flowing England hitters. Anyway in the end I was annoyed we couldn't take it 3-1 or at least 2-1, but a series draw hard to argue with, I'll go with 'cricket was the winner'.
Hmmm I’d prefer ‘the spirit of cricket was the winner’……😉

"Nothing to see here."

(must be great not to have to be accountable...)

“The ICC does not comment on the decisions taken by umpires in matches,” a spokesman said.

“We can, however, confirm that all balls are preselected before the start of every match and when the situation calls for it, the match officials choose the ball that is closest to the condition of the ball that is being replaced.”

Either way, it's done and dusted. A well deserved retaining of the urn by Aust.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8