Taufua primed for Manly Second row

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The question is why?

Jorge could make a move to second-row I suppose but why when we have Jamil Hoppa seemingly bound for that position in the near future. Maybe the bench but I'd rather have Jamie Buhrer move their and play the role of a utility, he can be a backup hooker, second-row, lock and centre(not the greatest centre but reliable defencively). It just seems stupid to me.

Jamil at centre if Matai fails to return?

Jamil at centre if Matai fails to return?
Yes that could very well happen, it would be a good way to introduce him to the NRL, against the smaller people he would prove to be a weapon physically once he adapts

Last edited by a moderator:
Jorge is a good player, sometimes very good, he is in the category 'almost a really top player'. But he's had several years on the wing for us, and most of our wingers don't last that long.

I was excited to hear we could have real strike wingers in Tupou (anyone remember the 2013 grand final?) and Uarte. That would give our side a totally new feel, strike on both wings, I like it!

Haven't seen Aku for a while - but Tupou has proved he can still go the length of the field to score, plus he can leap to score, and is a machine coming off his own line.

I would be happy with tupou, he has been down on form so could possibly be cheap.
But Uate doesn't excite me at all, he is so similar to Jorge, and imo Jorge is better

Last edited:
Don't we have enough Lewis Browns already?
True dat Mr Loco. Possibly an upgrade as Jorge's main weakness (catching a high ball) won't be required unless a winger goes down.

It's not easy to transition to the forwards; however, Tagatese, Ruban Wiki, Luke Lewis and others have all done so (Corey Oates went the other way).

Who knows - if the rumour is true then surely it would be off the bench rather than as a starter, so you wouldn't carry both Brown and Jorge on the bench.

But Uate doesn't excite me at all, he is so similar to Jorge, and imo Jorge is better
Jorge is left (as is Tupou), Aku is right.
Plus, Aku is a three time Dally M Winger of the Year, has represented New South Wales in State of Origin and both Fiji and Australia in international football. He is also a New South Wales Country, NRL All Stars and Prime Minister's XIII representative. He is the highest try-scorer in the Newcastle Knights' history. (sorry for cut and paste from wiki!)
A dud??

I can't see Jorge ever being a second rower. If Jorge could learn to catch he would be a dam fine winger. He is our best meter gainer almost every game. He returns the ball like a forward and is also a great finisher. Wish he could re-capture his best form, loved the days when we had nothing doing an we would throw the ball to Jorge and he would palm an opposition player in the face and race 80m down field.

Back rowers though need great defence, big engines, footwork and a bit of ball playing. I can't see any of those things in Jorge.

I've been calling for a move to the centres for Jorge for years. He is terrible under that highball. I still say centre will be Taufuas best spot. Defensively he will even struggle to start with in the centres as well.

Backrow, nah....parramatta tried Jorge there without success. It's just too big a jump in work rate, to be a quick or easy transition anyway.

Another green type project with Barrett in the back row isn't going to work overnight. We need to purchase a backrower who is ready to go.

Why the hell did Bozo release TRed, Yes he thought he had a big name signing, he ****ed up, without a bird in the hand, we don't care what was in the bush. It was a mistake. One that needs fixing this offseason.

I'm sure he could transition into a very good centre. Lacks the electric speed for a top winger, but certainly has the power and even a decent passing game, to make it at centre.

Too small for the strike player in the back row these days, considering he isn't the Buhrer 'workhorse' type...

It's not easy to transition to the forwards; however, Tagatese, Ruban Wiki, Luke Lewis and others have all done so (Corey Oates went the other way).

Terry Randall, Steve Menzies, Ron Gibbs

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8