Supposed "Crisis at Manly" Megathread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Roger said:
Harry said:
Roger said:
Just a question, does anyone know how much Gift is getting at Souths I haven't read it anywhere? Also maybe Gift and his manager priced themselves way above what Manly could afford with its salary cap issues as negotiations went on for a while and in the end no offer was made.
At Manly, Glenn Stewart was on a back ended contract that has him playing for north of $800,000 this season. Souths wouldn’t have matched that but there’s no doubt he’d be arriving on big money - probably somewhere in the $600,000 ball park. In the main the Rabbitohs would be funding that using the Sam Burgess kitty. Burgess is one of the Rabbitohs’ highest paid players, so his departure frees up a substantial chunk of the salary cap.

This is what im getting at, there has been nothing I have found which says anything about money and you like me is just assuming how much he must be getting, maybe he and his manager valved themselves out of Manlys financial reach

According to Sportal it would have taken a $450k/year offer from Manly for 2 years to keep him. Basically saying we didn't want to keep him at any price and that's why these guys are so pissed off. Can't blame them really when we are signing up others who have just arrived but that's the decision Manly mangement have made.

mickqld said:
Roger said:
Harry said:
Roger said:
Just a question, does anyone know how much Gift is getting at Souths I haven't read it anywhere? Also maybe Gift and his manager priced themselves way above what Manly could afford with its salary cap issues as negotiations went on for a while and in the end no offer was made.
At Manly, Glenn Stewart was on a back ended contract that has him playing for north of $800,000 this season. Souths wouldn’t have matched that but there’s no doubt he’d be arriving on big money - probably somewhere in the $600,000 ball park. In the main the Rabbitohs would be funding that using the Sam Burgess kitty. Burgess is one of the Rabbitohs’ highest paid players, so his departure frees up a substantial chunk of the salary cap.

This is what im getting at, there has been nothing I have found which says anything about money and you like me is just assuming how much he must be getting, maybe he and his manager valved themselves out of Manlys financial reach

According to Sportal it would have taken a $450k/year offer from Manly for 2 years to keep him. Basically saying we didn't want to keep him at any price and that's why these guys are so pissed off. Can't blame them really when we are signing up others who have just arrived but that's the decision Manly mangement have made.

That seems low to me and what I'm not understanding in all this is the role of the NRL in decreeing what a player is worth (Folau - Parra). I would have been fairly certain that the NRL would not allow him to play for not much. Truthfully, I just don't get it.

If you google back to March or Search this Forum Threads, Manly were lobbying the NRL to reduce their valuation of Gifty for the 3 years he wanted to extend for.

It was still in the process when Gifty made the surprise announcement that he signed with Souths for 2 years. Zero Tackle, or some similar site reported a 650k p.a. figure.

The whole contract negotiation process is as f..ked as the Video Ref decisions. Its just as endless as well :dodgy:

Which is why you don't believe anything written in all this. The journos don't know sh.t, they are just making up figures for stories.

lsz said:
As an aside is this thread now the biggest in ST history?

@lsz

No, it isn't.

In the Rugby League forum alone, this thread which currently has 500 replies and 27,518 views, sits at number 11 behind the following:

1. 2013 Rumoured and confirmed signings.
Replies: 2,257
Views: 408,791

2. Rumoured and confirmed signings.
Replies: 1,790
Views: 262,213

3. the "Kieran Forum"
Replies: 1,083
Views: 102,129

4. Three players set to be targeted by ASADA over use of banned peptide CJC-1295
Replies: 1,014
Views: 97,034

5. NRL: 2014 Rumoured and confirmed signings.
Replies: 935
Views: 146,623

6. The BulLOLdogs #LOLBULLDOGS Mega Thread
Replies: 764
Views: 69,851

7. Manly vs Nth Qld discussion, teams ect
Replies: 619
Views: 19,539

8. Jamie Lyon to the Titans?
Replies: 597
Views: 66,232

9. Manly Sea Eagles v NZ Warriors Round 21
Replies: 590
Views: 23,163

10. No polish
Replies: 534
Views: 17,496

Snake said:
I also think that the club are probably weary of having too many of the senior group retire at once. Sooner or later, the older heads will have to make way for the younger crop to come through. Unfortunately, Gifty was the first to make way.

Gee, I would have thought Kitey was the first but he obviously doesn't count according to some.

Bradza said:
Snake said:
I also think that the club are probably weary of having too many of the senior group retire at once. Sooner or later, the older heads will have to make way for the younger crop to come through. Unfortunately, Gifty was the first to make way.

Gee, I would have thought Kitey was the first but he obviously doesn't count according to some.

settle down tiger; no disrespect to Kite, he simply slipped my mind.

Budgewoi Eagle said:
mickqld said:
Roger said:
Harry said:
Roger said:

That seems low to me and what I'm not understanding in all this is the role of the NRL in decreeing what a player is worth (Folau - Parra). I would have been fairly certain that the NRL would not allow him to play for not much. Truthfully, I just don't get it.

Pretty sure thats what the Nrl told us and why we couldn't register him cheap

southsideeagle said:
8. Jamie Lyon to the Titans?
Replies: 597
Views: 66,232
Oh I did not realise Jamie was going to the Titans?

The thread title "Jamie Lyon to the Titans?" in my post is linked to the thread. If you click on it, you can read the whole thread. The thread was started on the 17th of January last year.

Snake said:
Bradza said:
Snake said:

settle down tiger; no disrespect to Kite, he simply slipped my mind.

It's ok, it was more a sly shot at the players than you.

If I recall correctly, the club (I guess Dave Perry and the Contract Manager) met with the NRL trying to broker a deal to provide some dispensation for Gift's value to the salary cap, similar to what the Roosters apparently got for Minichiello (which I know no details of but it was reported as such).

From a business perspective, Gift's manager would have said to Manly that he expected an offer no less than $XXXX. Manly management would then have looked at it, crunched the numbers and realised that to keep Gift, they would have to lose some of the promising juniors or other senior players to remain under the cap.

I have no doubt the club wanted to keep Gift but balancing the cap became untenable with him in it and no dispensation.

DCE appeared quite clear in his comments yesterday that he was not prepared to accept 'Unders' to remain at the club because he has only had two or so years on a decent salary. Good for him I say but if if it comes down to $50k no doubt he'll stay.

Choc, Gift, Brett, Killer et al have (apparently) only accepted 'Unders' in the last 3 or 4 years, so they have at least 4 years on DCE so they really have no right to complain but maybe Keiran does, as apparently the money he was offered elsewhere was substantially more.

In terms of Skivvy, apparently he has always accepted 'unders' to stay with his mates and hence the support the other players (who apparently know) for him to be granted a release to earn the big bucks.

I guess they all see it as fait accompli, that the departure of Brent Kite, who was the start (as it was quite stable after Beaver left), now Gift and then they look over their shoulders and see guys like the Turbojets, Gutherson, Chee-Kam (who Toovey has a huge wrap on but has been dogged by injury), Knight, Taylor and whoever else is on Dave Warwick's radar and think.... Okay, I could be next, I need to secure my future for my family.

A simple equation really when you have a Mr twenty-percenter in your ear thinking exactly the same.

Killer 2v at the Airport:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/video/?v=manly-players-are-united_1227001585068&vc=222

http://www.foxsports.com.au/video/?v=toovey-trying-to-unite-manly_1227001805506&vc=222

The Reporters eyebrows are worth watching for :p

Sorry people, a lot of repetitive stuff that had already been stated by others in my last post, that I had not noticed.

I don't like to think there are hidden agendas but I can't not think that a lot of this is a concerted effort to get rid of Dave Perry by one board member we are very aware of and he is really stirring the pot because of his friendship with Glenn, Brett, their family and friends.

A poison challice I think.

The Wheel said:
niccipops said:
HappilyManly said:
I must say, they are award winning eyebrows.:)
I tell you what they need mowing or a whipper snipper at the very least

I know about 17 blokes who'd probably fancy running a lawn mower over his face at present. Him and all his reporter mates.

fLIP said:
The Wheel said:
niccipops said:
HappilyManly said:
I must say, they are award winning eyebrows.:)
I tell you what they need mowing or a whipper snipper at the very least

I know about 17 blokes who'd probably fancy running a lawn mower over his face at present. Him and all his reporter mates.
Lol. Gold.:D

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10