Pre-Game Storm v Manly [Round 17, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

24 6
AAMI Park
24 Jun 2023 07:35 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
How does the buying of Aaron Woods and that Johns kid improve the team over time?
Let’s remember , Woods wasn’t “ bought “ he was gifted.

And young John’s , well half backs don’t grow on trees , and whilst I agree he’s bog average so are many of the second string halfbacks in the competition.

And as to the two kids that left ( the woods deal ) they were offered huge money to go to a struggling team , offers that we weren’t able to match.

So it’s a moot point this one of yours!!

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The business end? Hahaha. Our players will be off in Thailand or Bali while 8 other teams are still playing.
This is the funniest season I’ve seen in years , footy tipping is a nightmare.

Win one week , lose the next , win the next , almost any team other than the two front runners could make up the other 6.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
Let’s remember , Woods wasn’t “ bought “ he was gifted.

And young John’s , well half backs don’t grow on trees , and whilst I agree he’s bog average so are many of the second string halfbacks in the competition.

And as to the two kids that left ( the woods deal ) they were offered huge money to go to a struggling team , offers that we weren’t able to match.

So it’s a moot point this one of yours!!
Not really. Every arrival and departure says something to the rest of the team and, unless they have a really good coach, can really change the dynamic.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Not really. Every arrival and departure says something to the rest of the team and, unless they have a really good coach, can really change the dynamic.
My point remains

Woods was a gift , cost is zero , fills a gap at best.

John’s is a reserve grader , they obviously thought he might fill in for a few games but clearly not, which is why they bought Arthur’s.

Both won’t be at Manly in 2024, although I think young Jake might be there for 24.

These players weren’t the “ marquee signings “ of 2022, one was a transfer gift , the other a back up half added not far out from the season.

I don’t think that sends any sort of “ message “ to the other players at all.

My point remains

John’s is a reserve grader , they obviously thought he might fill in for a few games but clearly not, which is why they bought Arthur’s.

Both won’t be at Manly in 2024, although I think young Jake might be there for 24.

These players weren’t the “ marquee signings “ of 2022, one was a transfer gift , the other a back up half added not far out from the season.

I don’t think that sends any sort of “ message “ to the other players at all.
Mark, even though their price tag justifies the under performance of these players , why is it we sign these guys in the first place when we can do it for free by promoting BWSE players.
The argument that BWSE players are too risky, doesn't wash because they can't surely be much worse than Johns / Woods. To suggest Woods is a gift is like me giving you my 30 year old lawnmower that barely works but at least it has experience mowing lawns.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
My point remains

Last I[ll say on it because I have no desire to argue with you Mark.

Happy to acknowledge the half back was a gamble though they might have done their homework a bit more thoroughly, but to describe Woods as "a gift" completely ignores the roles of negotiation and the utter failure to get a decent trade for two promising young players.

These are all decisions, made by somebody. They are not mere happenstance.

ManEagle

Just a Man and his Eagle
Sign players for free? How does that work?
Well apparently ......

We gotta install microwave ovens
Custom kitchen deliveries
We gotta move these refrigerators
We gotta move these colour TV's

Play your guitar on MTV
Then you get
Your money for nothing
And your players for freeeeeee.

Ooops sorry Read it wrong 😁

Well apparently ......

We gotta install microwave ovens
Custom kitchen deliveries
We gotta move these refrigerators
We gotta move these colour TV's

Play your guitar on MTV
Then you get
Your money for nothing
And your players for freeeeeee.

Ooops sorry Read it wrong 😁
Look at that momma, stick it in the camera man!

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Woods is a work horse. Nothing spectacular. He's not going to do the big plays that win matches, but he does his grunt work well and you need that kind of player. I'm into stats because they tell more than impressions based on the flashier elements of play. Wood's last three games for us saw him play 40 mins 34 tackles 2 misses, 105 metres gained. Second game 44 minutes 23 tackles 3 misses but 140 mtrs gained. The last game 37 minutes 32 tackles no misses, 59 mtrs gained. Any forward doing that work is contributing. Not spectacular like Olakau'atu, but for comparison in that last game Ola was on for 80 minutes did 28 tackles, 4 misses and made only 89 mtrs. Interesting isn't it when you break it down to figures.

Will on the hill

Bencher
Tipping Member
Last I[ll say on it because I have no desire to argue with you Mark.

Happy to acknowledge the half back was a gamble though they might have done their homework a bit more thoroughly, but to describe Woods as "a gift" completely ignores the roles of negotiation and the utter failure to get a decent trade for two promising young players.

These are all decisions, made by somebody. They are not mere happenstance.
Every team must fill their top 30 and all top 30 players have a minimum salary of $80k. So by having Woods in our top 30 whilst he is being paid by the Steelers (on their salary cap) we effectively boost our salary cap by $80k.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
Every team must fill their top 30 and all top 30 players have a minimum salary of $80k. So by having Woods in our top 30 whilst he is being paid by the Steelers (on their salary cap) we effectively boost our salary cap by $80k.
There's being 9n the 30 and there's being in the 17.

And there's exploring better options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 9 2 82 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 8 3 75 18
11 7 4 65 16
12 7 5 135 14
12 7 5 57 14
11 6 5 -9 14