Steve Matai

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
allgood came in with a swinging arm at least twice in that game add the fighting to that, so only getting 2 weeks he should feel extremely lucky.

Can anyone confirm if Matai has ever been cited/suspended for anything other than errors in his playing style (meaning high tackles etc). Everyone is jumping up and down about him being some sort of brawler, I just cannot remember him getting done for fighting etc. More a case of 'oh he is a thug because he is Matai rather than anything else'

Never been suspended but seen him dish out 2 good hidings over the years

1st one was in his debut year, Ben Cross dropped the knees into Terry Hill and Matai came in and gave him a hell of a hiding

Other one was his test debut where he belted Keith Senior up, Senior was still talking about wanting to square it up 2/3 years later haha

Cannot wait for the day under the new one punch and you are in the sin bin rule where all 26 players are involved in a fight throwing punches.

Would they send all 26 players to the sin bin? Might be a very quiet 10 minutes if they abide by the rule.

Better still if all Parramatta players last night threw punches and Manly players didn't. How many tries could we score in the last 7 minutes against no one on the field for Parra?

MadMarcus said:
Allgood should have remained on the field. That would have been a far more appropriate punishment.

think of it for a minute-
from the penalty:
matai taps the ball
runs towards allgood
passes allgood the ball
matai then sends allgood to disneyland.

tookey said:
Better still if all Parramatta players last night threw punches and Manly players didn't. How many tries could we score in the last 7 minutes against no one on the field for Parra?

I don't think it would have made much difference to be honest.

I liked the way Lyon raced over and grabbed Allgood. Very unusual for Jamie to get so cross, but entirely warranted this time.

Killer03 said:
I actually thought Killer was going to hit Allgood. I've never seen Jamie as peed off as he was. Whenever there's a stink he's Mr Cool, but he looked absolutely ropeable. Although I'd hate to see Jamie rubbed out, I was hoping he'd snot him!

I was hoping he'd slide his arm around allbad's neck (headlock style) and put him to sleep saying 'you didn't think you'd die today' quietly in his ear before he lost conscious.

But that may be a bit too umm, crazy.

Doesn't involve a punch though!

But yup, terrible it took so long to get things going again. Good restraint by skivvy and this new rule seems to have taken the ole manhood away a bit more. Not good to have to stand there copping hits on the chin.

Sticky trying to blame matai was hilarious in its pathetic-ness, as was maitua's call that it was 'hit or be hit.' Both should be cited for a week for lameness.

In life for every ying there is a yang. I think Stevie must be slater's yang. slater who is a total grub but in most people's eyes can do no wrong. Stevie who regardless of what he does or even doesn't do, still gets bagged for it

The nrl really have stuffed things up with this 'fighting' rule. There have always been a few fists flying during a season and they are forgotten almost immediately. Now the nrl have made such an issue about fighting the media have just jumped on it and got good mileage out of every little incident. F for Fail nrl.

about an hour ago by AAP

By Steve Jancetic

SYDNEY, July 10 AAP - Manly five-eighth Kieran Foran says there is little doubt Steve Matai will seek retribution when he goes head-to-head with Parramatta prop Mitchell Allgood early next month.

Matai was left seething when bloodied by an Allgood right hook on Monday night, and there appears little chance of the red mist clearing before the two NRL teams lock horns again in round 21 - by which time Allgood would have returned from a two-game ban.

"Oh no, he'll go looking for him," Foran said when asked if four weeks was enough for Matai to calm down.

"I can assure you he'll be looking for revenge but he'll do it in a smart way."

Asked what that way would be, Foran offered: "You'll have to wait and see. I'm sure you'll find him (Matai) in the middle at some stage of the game."

Would he like to be in Allgood's shoes at Parramatta Stadium on August 3?

"No, no I wouldn't," Foran said.

Regarded as one of the most aggressive players in the game, Matai had to be restrained by his teammates in the aftermath of the fight and again following the game.

He ran 10 metres to confront Allgood after the Eels prop had unleashed a swinging arm on Sea Eagles utility Jamie Buhrer - Allgood then letting fly with a series of punches before Matai had a chance to get his hands up.

Despite Foran's incendiary comments, Manly coach Geoff Toovey said he saw no reason for him to talk to the Kiwi international ahead of what is sure to be a fiery encounter.

"Oh no, he knows the rules - he knows the limitations in the game," Toovey said.

"I'm sure that certain people will beat it up but we're more interested in winning games than getting revenge or justice.

"Steve will be excited to play them again no doubt but I'm sure he'll play within the rules."

The Eels on Wednesday turned down the opportunity to challenge the grading of Allgood's charge, accepting the two-week ban rather than risking a three-match suspension.

http://rleague.com/news/Matai-to-seek-Allgood-revenge%3A-Foran_121752/

------------------------------
Foz on Channel 9 sounded ominous :p

Stevie has no control. He'd be the last guy you'd want to swing at unless you really, really want to go on with it.

voicefromthehill said:
COMMANDER said:
Stevie has no control. He'd be the last guy you'd want to swing at unless you really, really want to go on with it.

I thought he showed plenty of control

WIthout team mates and staff to restrain him and left to his own devices he would have eaten Allgoods children.

Why do the media label the incident a fight? It wasn't a fight but instead an attack by Allgood on Matai. A fight is when two opponents exchange blows and as far as I could see from the footage available, Steve never hit back. I agree with voicefromthehill, he showed plenty of control. He knew that if he was the instigator of blows then he would be binned and let his team mates down by leaving them a man down so instead he just confronted him but by the looks of things, he didn't get the chance to get a word in before he was hit.

Just doin' some interweb surfing...vids, pics...etc.

Just wanted to bump and restate Stevie's total awesomeness!

Because, you know, he is a damn champ!

A down in the dirt, never say die, never give up, mate in the trenches champ!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8