Pushing for the 8 in 2018

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
We won a lot of our games last year on the back of repeat sets.Green may have been a turnstyle ,but he won us more games than he lost.Hastings has too really step up ,I hope he can fill that void,if not we are going to struggle.

A bit tricky to assess how we'll fare next year.

Losing Green is a worry because halfback (which is effectively what he was for us) is still the most important position. Very few come in the way Cleary or Ash Taylor have and are effective at a very young age.

However don't discount the momentum we have. This year was a quantum leap from 2016 and the playing group will be preparing with plenty of belief and high expectations.

I expect us to sign someone else (maybe a pommy forward?) and to build on what we did this year. Entrenched in top 8!

Yeah in a perfect world another halfback is really nice. But if it's not top quality, then they really need to be super cheap.

I personally dont see what some do in Lamb. It's when the pressure is on that matters. He just didn't seem to want the ball, when Knights had a game on the line.

Give me a confident and very cocky Jacko everyday. I think he only finds top gear when it matters;-). He was Iceman for the Roosters back end of 15.

850 k isn't going to go far at all.

Before we released Green the wish list was topped by an experienced backrowerer. A forward leader in similar demand. A cheap but experienced old prop not out of the equation. Another creative spark and speed out wide not unwanted.

But dam good game managers are getting harder and harder to find.

If we cant replace Green. Let's not waste cap space pretending.
Again I see your point but if Hastings was struggling or went down injured, I'd feel a lot more comfortable bringing in Lamb as opposed to Cullen or Croker.

We will probably end up with Hodkinson because of his experience but I think it's an overly safe and negative option...id rather fall short all guns blazing than surrender meekly.

Again I see your point but if Hastings was struggling or went down injured, I'd feel a lot more comfortable bringing in Lamb as opposed to Cullen or Croker.

We will probably end up with Hodkinson because of his experience but I think it's an overly safe and negative option...id rather fall short all guns blazing than surrender meekly.
Would you have Hodgkinson as the back up half or Hastings though ?

I'm more worried about injuries than the loss of Green. We all forget that one of the major reasons we improved dramatically since Green's arrival is because he took over Dylan Walker! As highly regarded walker is he's not a 5/8. Hastings on the other hand is..to me green is highly overrated.. Apart from a few 40/20s and few repeat kicks, he's loose in defence and goes missing when it counts. Pearce isn't the end all. We have some coin left to purchase some more depth in the second row /forwards. We have lots of youngsters to blood and these are exciting times. I can easily see us in the top 8 if we have a good run without injuries..

Because it is essentially the same playing group as last season, of course there should be many reasons to feel confident and reasonably optimistic that Manly can be at least final's bound next season . The only uncertainty naturally is a suitable replacement for Green and for any of his shortcomings . his role as a steadying influence and giving some direction and which can"t be understated . So not so much a case of hoping for the best but just some realistic expectation that come the commencement of fixtures , the void with Green"s departure will be filled from within or with a capable outside replacement . Probably not an ideal exercise in a comparison to the injury ravaged 2016 Sea Eagles side but the team was better performed last season . The outstanding wins against the G F finalists Cowboys , top wins against other final"s teams Sharks, Roosters and Panthers also showed that Manly had what it takes to match the front runners apart from the partial late season slump . Shoring up Green"s position and role , bringing the best out of the younger brigade and up and comers , better consistency and some injury related luck and still every prospect the the side can be more then competitive next season .

Thinking 11th - 14th.

We've basically removed our structure, and hoping a whole bunch of reserve graders step up (Hastings from a failed Blacktown the main peice).

Others include career reserve graders like Tanginoa, Sipley, Perrett & Gosweiski.

Ryan, we are being a little negative, Tanginoa, Sipley, Perrett and Gossie are all only 22/23 years old ..... not yet ready for the title of "career" reggies.

Ryan, we are being a little negative, Tanginoa, Sipley, Perrett and Gossie are all only 22/23 years old ..... not yet ready for the title of "career" reggies.

Probably am. Guess I'm just in the boat that we are in a rebuilding phase, which comes along with it some ups and downs.

Concerns me that we have some holes that haven't been filled.

I do think we are going to struggle next year, but I also think that will steel us for the future as well. Similar to what my Ice Hockey team is going through this year - rebuilding (fighting hard) but just lack the experience & hard edge to win (at the moment).

Also:
X Jake Trbojevic coming off a long term injury
X Jorge Taufua coming off a long term injury
X Dylan Walker coming off quite a few VERY long term injuries
X Darcy Lussick still getting match fitness back (injured for large portions)
X Curtis Sironen still getting match fitness back (injured for large portions)

means there will be additional reliance on the Perrett, Tanginoa, Gossie types to really step up.

Sorry for the length of the reply mate.

Some posters are pointing to our lack of depth in 2018. This was true in 2017 but is not true for the coming season.
We have 5-6 players from the premiership-winning Under 20s who should all develop into top First Graders. 2018 will see most of them used in First Grade at certain times during the season, providing fresh energy and enthusiasm and pushing established players to perform or be usurped.
It has been many years since we've had such a talent batch of Under 20s graduates ready and raring to debut.

Some posters are pointing to our lack of depth in 2018. This was true in 2017 but is not true for the coming season.
We have 5-6 players from the premiership-winning Under 20s who should all develop into top First Graders. 2018 will see most of them used in First Grade at certain times during the season, providing fresh energy and enthusiasm and pushing established players to perform or be usurped.
It has been many years since we've had such a talent batch of Under 20s graduates ready and raring to debut.
That point is quite true, our 20’s have been abysmal in recent years but this year are Premiers , and to have kept almost all the best from them is brilliant.

I see a year of some mixed success, probably end up somewhere 5-8, and hopefully go a further game into the finals.

But, and I said this way back in 2015 and 2016, it’s a 5 year plan, best chance at Premierships will be 2019-20.

Just on hastings - maybe he is the answer, but to be perfectly honest, I have never seen him do anything that warrants any great confidence. A roosters mate reckons he built his representation on a single game when the opposition was without a number of rep players, and he has done nothing since. Again, he may turn out to be the next cliffy lyons, but for mine, the jury is still well and truly out. Especially as he hasn't exactly knocked the door down for selection from reserves. I honestly think all our half options after DCE are back-ups at best.
Which is probably why they’ll pick up either Lamb or Hodkinson to shore up the situation.

Knights will play hardball with Lamb, but Hodko may well come very cheap, and “ might” be ok in a Green role for a year whilst some of the youngsters get more experience.

I think we will drop out of the eight in 2018, but if we put games into our young guys it will pay off for us in 2019/2020. Please stop with the Hodkinson talk as I think his signing will put us back a year or two.

This forum is a funny place

Only a few weeks ago people were into Green saying he was no good and we needed to dump him, now we are in disarray because he is gone and won’t make the 8??

You can’t have it both ways

I for one rate what Green brought to the club last year, he gave us direction and helped DCE. That said if DCE went down and we were relying on Green then I’d be worried. Hastings has the talent to step in and deliver but it’s a wait to see if that happens, either way I don’t think we are too significantly disadvantaged with Hastings and there is potential for us to come out ahead.

Also to play devil’s advocate to the OP, you can’t simply list clubs signings without their departures

Sure the Titans have signed Latu, Rein and Arrow but they have lost Hayne, Mcqueen, Roberts, Paasi, Zillman and Grevsmuhl

Likewise Roosters have Cronk and Teddy but have lost Pearce, SKD, Guerra, Evans, Carter and Watson

Bulldogs Foran and Woods but lost Graham, Reynolds and Kasiano……….Bulldogs in particular, probably fair to say on paper that Woods and Foran are better players (for 2018) but Reynolds and Graham were the heart and soul of the club…….losing them could have the same effect as when G Stewart left us

For me the single biggest part of last year was the absence of injuries esp soft tissue injuries.
If we are lucky again this year then we are a real chance of 8th or better
As we well know injuries kill seasons.

How will we go ? Who knows

But what I do know is that this time last year the majority of opinions on here was that we were looking at 12th-16th, potential for a spoon, losing the 1st 8 games, no big signings etc

Things worked out ok in the end and there is no reason why they can't work out ok again as well

This forum is a funny place

Only a few weeks ago people were into Green saying he was no good and we needed to dump him, now we are in disarray because he is gone and won’t make the 8??

You can’t have it both ways

I for one rate what Green brought to the club last year, he gave us direction and helped DCE. That said if DCE went down and we were relying on Green then I’d be worried. Hastings has the talent to step in and deliver but it’s a wait to see if that happens, either way I don’t think we are too significantly disadvantaged with Hastings and there is potential for us to come out ahead.

Also to play devil’s advocate to the OP, you can’t simply list clubs signings without their departures

Sure the Titans have signed Latu, Rein and Arrow but they have lost Hayne, Mcqueen, Roberts, Paasi, Zillman and Grevsmuhl

Likewise Roosters have Cronk and Teddy but have lost Pearce, SKD, Guerra, Evans, Carter and Watson

Bulldogs Foran and Woods but lost Graham, Reynolds and Kasiano……….Bulldogs in particular, probably fair to say on paper that Woods and Foran are better players (for 2018) but Reynolds and Graham were the heart and soul of the club…….losing them could have the same effect as when G Stewart left us

The biggest improver, the Knights, lost Gagai but gained heaps!

They are by far the biggest winners of the 2017 silly season.

How will we go ? Who knows

But what I do know is that this time last year the majority of opinions on here was that we were looking at 12th-16th, potential for a spoon, losing the 1st 8 games, no big signings etc

Things worked out ok in the end and there is no reason why they can't work out ok again as well

I was one of them and ended up embarrassed.

No early predictions from me until I see the final 30.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12