Game Day: NYC2017 GF - Manly v Eels

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
What a really dumb post.
Cust wins the Jack Gibson Medal for being best player in the GF and you wern't impressed! He also won the preliminary final for us against Illawarra.
Wright had some delightful touches as a ball-playing 5/8.
The team wins the grand final - for the first time in our history, and from 8th position - and you are critical?
Do you realise we were without three of our top 17: Parker, Bainbridge and Tent?
For goodness sake, can't you say something positive about the players and this incredible performance?
Does a win preclude anyone from making a simple observation on our halves off the back of all the talk of our future players in first grade.

Look i understand you also require better structures and more straight running options so that the halves can play straight also, i just didn't see anything special that a million other halves have shown at this level----yes even after an unfair on the players one game viewing.

Cust did a few nice things but other times was way too predictable, could be a decent player with a bit of programming/tweaking if he has that programmable willing to learn mindset.

Wright needs the interchange to go down to 6 or a team that provides ample space and second phase to be half effective, seems to switch off attitude wise also.

Does a win preclude anyone from making a simple observation on our halves off the back of all the talk of our future players in first grade.

Look i understand you also require better structures and more straight running options so that the halves can play straight also, i just didn't see anything special that a million other halves have shown at this level----yes even after an unfair on the players one game viewing.

Cust did a few nice things but other times was way too predictable, could be a decent player with a bit of programming/tweaking if he has that programmable willing to learn mindset.

Wright needs the interchange to go down to 6 or a team that provides ample space and second phase to be half effective, seems to switch off attitude wise also.

I disagree with you on occasion TC, but I think you're on the money here.

I thought Cust was better than Wright who simply showed no patience and went for the spectacular every time he touched the ball.

They are, however, young in their defence.

I can see them both becoming good players. They just need time. Which thankfully they have.

Notwithstanding all this, stoked to beat the Squeels.

Holden Cup Grand Final: Sea Eagles thrilling comeback against Eels caps stunning premiership turnaround
645752_640x360_large_20171001154911.jpg

MANLY’S under 20s have capped a stunning rise from wooden spooners to premiers with a grand final comeback for the ages, upsetting Parramatta 20-18 having trailed by 14 points after as many minutes.

In a fitting send-off for the madcap Holden Cup competition, the Sea Eagles’ surge from eighth place into the decider appeared to be all in vain as the Eels ran roughshod with three tries early on, only for Manly to surge back into a contest that was not decided until the final play in the 80th minute.

Bench forward Keith Titmuss, a late inclusion in jumper No. 19, scored his first try as the last in the Holden Cup’s 10-year history, swan diving across the line and withstanding a cover tackle to level scores with 20 seconds remaining.

Centre Tevita Funa’s conversion capped a remarkable fight back for the Sea Eagles, who 12 months ago finished in last place with just three victories and a points differential of -400.

After scraping into eighth place this season on for and against alone, Manly upset runaway minor premiers Cronulla and won four sudden death finals encounters en route to a miracle title.

Halfback Cade Cust was awarded the Jack Gibson medal for man of the match after his involvement in two first half tries dragged the maroon and whites back into it.

Pre-game favourites Parramatta had all the running from the outset, with 17-year-old half Dylan Brown strolling over in just the third minute, before a penalty and try to co-captain Denzal Tonise pushed the Eels out to a 14-0 lead.

3bbefe74e61dfdcabce8120b1db04c1e

Manly's Haumole Olakau'atu and Manase Fainu celebrate winning the grand final. Picture: Brett Costello
A bullet cut out ball from Cust sent Funa over untouched and was followed by a grubber by the Scone-raised No. 7 that sat up for winger Bilal Maarbani.

The fightback continued after halftime when back-rower Blake Andrews charged over to level the scores, only for Parramatta to kick clear again through blockbusting winger Greg Leleisiuao with 12 minutes to go.

But with Manly refusing to roll over and having hammered the Eels line throughout the second half, skipper Manase Fainu piloted Titmuss through a hole from close range and the Sea Eagles to the most unlikely of triumphs.

It’s the club’s first in the NYC and just the second won from eighth place after the Warriors did likewise in 2014.

The under 20s competition will be restructured from 2018 with two state based competitions in NSW and Queensland acting as the NRL’s second tier.

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...d/news-story/73f82760a200b5a5aec652a95cc74e51

Holden Cup Grand Final: Sea Eagles thrilling comeback against Eels caps stunning premiership turnaround
645752_640x360_large_20171001154911.jpg

MANLY’S under 20s have capped a stunning rise from wooden spooners to premiers with a grand final comeback for the ages, upsetting Parramatta 20-18 having trailed by 14 points after as many minutes.

In a fitting send-off for the madcap Holden Cup competition, the Sea Eagles’ surge from eighth place into the decider appeared to be all in vain as the Eels ran roughshod with three tries early on, only for Manly to surge back into a contest that was not decided until the final play in the 80th minute.

Bench forward Keith Titmuss, a late inclusion in jumper No. 19, scored his first try as the last in the Holden Cup’s 10-year history, swan diving across the line and withstanding a cover tackle to level scores with 20 seconds remaining.

Centre Tevita Funa’s conversion capped a remarkable fight back for the Sea Eagles, who 12 months ago finished in last place with just three victories and a points differential of -400.

After scraping into eighth place this season on for and against alone, Manly upset runaway minor premiers Cronulla and won four sudden death finals encounters en route to a miracle title.

Halfback Cade Cust was awarded the Jack Gibson medal for man of the match after his involvement in two first half tries dragged the maroon and whites back into it.

Pre-game favourites Parramatta had all the running from the outset, with 17-year-old half Dylan Brown strolling over in just the third minute, before a penalty and try to co-captain Denzal Tonise pushed the Eels out to a 14-0 lead.

3bbefe74e61dfdcabce8120b1db04c1e

Manly's Haumole Olakau'atu and Manase Fainu celebrate winning the grand final. Picture: Brett Costello
A bullet cut out ball from Cust sent Funa over untouched and was followed by a grubber by the Scone-raised No. 7 that sat up for winger Bilal Maarbani.

The fightback continued after halftime when back-rower Blake Andrews charged over to level the scores, only for Parramatta to kick clear again through blockbusting winger Greg Leleisiuao with 12 minutes to go.

But with Manly refusing to roll over and having hammered the Eels line throughout the second half, skipper Manase Fainu piloted Titmuss through a hole from close range and the Sea Eagles to the most unlikely of triumphs.

It’s the club’s first in the NYC and just the second won from eighth place after the Warriors did likewise in 2014.

The under 20s competition will be restructured from 2018 with two state based competitions in NSW and Queensland acting as the NRL’s second tier.

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...d/news-story/73f82760a200b5a5aec652a95cc74e51
I'm gunna say it again....
MAAANNLLY MAAANNLLY MAAANNLLY !!!!!!!!

What comes out of these matches is that Tom Wright is not ready for 5/8 but he is ready for first grade, either centre or wing. Anderson is also ready for first grade on the wing. Not sure how that sits with Taufua and Uate, but I think both of these players offer starring roles in a future manly side if they can be resigned. It may even be that Manly ends up next year at some time with a backline of

T.T
Anderson
Walker
Tom Wright
Kelly
Green
DCE

Certainly Cust, Fainu and Funa look likely first grade replacements when injury occurs.

I think there is a crazy feeling on these forums sometimes about the performances of some of our rising stars. There are some quite unrealistic expectations of what are effectively still teenagers. I've seen this in respect of Kelly and now I'm seeing it with Tom Wright. I think we develop expectations of these young players well before they have developed into the players they will become. I read how some kept arguing that Wright should be doing this or doing that. The same applied to Kelly.

These are young players still in developmental stages. They are not champion footballers....yet. But like all young players who have outstanding qualities, they also need time to develop. Lets appreciate the range of skills we see in them that will develop with time and good coaching. I think Tom Wright and Jade Anderson are top class first graders in the making. But they are a few years away yet from being truly class acts. Its just raw talent at present. Same applies to Kelly. There were suggestions that Roberts should come and replace him. Roberts is three years older, has five years first grade experience. As they say Rome wasnt built in a day but if you watch the two players, Roberts certainly has the speed, but to me Kelly has more natural talent.

Lets allow these young players time to develop before we put unrealistic expectations on them. Enjoy them for the moment and of what they could become.

I am just home from Homebush and what was a flat day, as a rule, was highlighted by our magnificent Holden cup team who defied odds to produce one of the greatest moments for our football club.

If truth be told, today the team were flat compared to the last few weeks and the most impressive thing is they defied everything that normally happens in a game and found a way to win.

After a horrendous start littered with passive defense, errors with the ball, we were 14-0 down in no time and you felt at the time that one more whinger time and it would have been a blowout.

What the team did to first of all arrest this bad start and work their way back into the contest by tightening out defence and playing a bit wider with the ball and before you knew it we had got level and we were on top.

The team had a period between the 50th and 70th minute where they have all the field position and numerous chances to get ahead and didn't. The whingers got upfield for one set and got a try and you thought psychologically that the team was gone. No way!! once again they defied the momentum shift and went set for set with them before being bold and getting a result on the last tackle which meant they had an attacking set on the whingers try line. When you saw unfold that gem of a pass that put that boy through a gap and he flew through and then awkwardly got the ball down for a try, wow what a moment!!!

Beating Parramatta for some of us old-timers is the ultimate in any game. To beat them at the death is so special when you consider that they have three times as many juniors as us and a much bigger talent pool to pick from and this team did something very special today.

I am delighted for them cause to see them perform and get four amazing results in the last month has really made it great for the club.

Do not forget that this team regularly got belted by 30 points plus last season. I can remember watching them play and it was painful as they only achieved three wins, to see them improve and then do this is one of the biggest achievements by a Manly team.

Well done to Wayne Lambkin for marshaling this team and producing a mighty effort. Well done to the boys for believing and believing and making many of us so happy.

It is IMPERATIVE!!! that the club do what it takes the retain the bulk of this team and our coach as this can set us up for years to come.

GO MANLY!!!!!!!

Well done Manly Manly Manly. Never gave in. That was gutsy. True Manly spirit. Love it. Plenty of kids that need to be in Maroon and White fo4 a long time.

Brillant "at the death" win by the young guns!!! They definitely overchieved and punched well above their weight. They may not have had as much talent as other teams but they surely made what they did have count.

Obviously they had trust and belief in each other. They also seem to have been well coached and a great team culture has been built. What stood out to me most though was their mental toughness and resilience.

Their resilience and "never give up" attitude was evident in not only this Grand Final, but the whole season and the entire Final series. What they accomplished was legendary regardless the level or grade of Footy.

Really hope a few of these youngsters can become quality future first grade players for us. If that doesn't eventuate however, at least we will have this memory of a U20s Grand Final victory to cherish forever!!!

TRY HELPS MANLY SEA EAGLES EDGE PARRAMATTA EELS 20-18 IN HOLDEN CUP THRILLER
Christian Nicolussi, The Daily Telegraph
October 1, 2017 4:34pm
Subscriber only

MANLY interchange forward Keith Titmuss says he will refuse to watch a replay of his leaping matchwinning try that almost went embarrassingly wrong.

Titmuss thought he may have bobbled the ball and cost Manly the Holden Cup Grand Final with just 90 seconds on the clock after he launched his giant frame high into the air and a long way out from the tryline.

The 17-year-old ploughed headfirst into the turf and nervously celebrated as the decision was sent upstairs.

“I was in the moment, and I don’t know what I was thinking,’’ Titmuss told The Daily Telegraph.

2154e1e7af25cd4c3af41e52d0d34140

Manly's Keith Titmuss dives over to score the winning try. Picture: Brett Costello
a91f0e7da963eba1cb08dbeb1a9865ee

Manly's Keith Titmuss dives over to score the winning try. Picture: Brett Costello
0f6a93e72c78592bb540d72ecf555a61

81b516707a6a0b3efd0fc4403591ecbf

35cf5138dc775569b0b1371e35053897

“I thought I may have dropped the ball, it was ‘50/50’.

“Once I saw the ball hit the ground there was relief. It was ugly. That was my first try of the year.’’

Manly snatched a late 20-18 victory against Parramatta with coach Wayne Lambkin not sure which way to look when Titmuss crash-landed.

“He definitely won’t make the Olympics for diving,’’ Lambkin said.

“He was nose first. In those final minutes, he was willing to run a hole.
He did a great job getting it across the line.’’

Lambkin also coaches rugby league at sporting school powerhouse Westfields High, which featured up to half a dozen rival Parramatta players, including skipper Denzal Tonise and brothers Dane and Noel Aukafolau.

“Ten years ago I was coaching Norths in the reserve grade grand final here, we lost to Parramatta in the final 15 seconds when they had ‘Greeny’ (Blake Green), (Jarryd) Hayne and Krisnan Inu, all kids from school I’ coached,’’ Lambkin said.

d0258c8739aad796b595f8aaf70e11fd

Manly players celebrate the winning try by Keith Titmuss. Picture: Brett Costello

“I never got over it. Today it was good to get one up on them (my students), so that’s good.’’

The Sea Eagles came from eighth to win the Holden Cup, and were supposed to exit in week one of the finals.

They fell behind 14-0 in the opening 15 minutes, but a try to Tevita Funa and then winger Bilal Maarbani on the stroke of halftime got them back to within four points at the break and gave them a red-hot chance.

Lambkin backed skipper Manasa Fainu to push for an NRL start next season, while fullback Jade Anderson had also improved out of sight with his speed prompting comparisons to a ‘’young Josh Addo-Carr’’.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r/news-story/7999d366bbe1f36807c2a95d91714734

What did you think of the commentary,i thought well called and even kimmorley was honest,maybe surprised at the result.

I might be slightly biased but that was the stand out game yesterday.

If we get 2-3 first grade players out of it we will be doing well
I was at the GF yesterday
The days other games were so poor
Our game I agree was hands down the only real contest
Final try happened right in front of me
Great game

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10