NRL are committing suicide

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I don't imagine the learned scholars that composed and constructed the great English Dictionaries ever imagined that the simple word .. "perspective" .. would in future years be held down and so mercilessly abused ....

Well...they stole borrowed it from Latin so boo sucks to them!

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
however mouth guards do in some instances ... they don't just protect the teeth but act as shock absorbers ..... I cant believe the amount of payers not wearing them ... head gear keeps your ears pretty
have to be a pretty big mouth guard to protect your noggin.

Shoe1

Journey Man
The NRL are intent on forcing defenders to tackle lower.

They also punish low tackling by not allowing the markers to get set.

They are looking to speed the game up even more. Low tackling, less or no markers, even quicker PTBs.

The endgame is a slightly more contact version of oztag/ touch footy.
They clearly have an objective for all tackles to be around the hips, so the tacklers' heads and the groins and asses of the ball runner are continually in close proximity.

I just wish that the NRL hierarchy would be more professional and not let their sick sexual proclivities destroy low and high tackling.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
I don't imagine the learned scholars that composed and constructed the great English Dictionaries ever imagined that the simple word .. "perspective" .. would in future years be held down and so mercilessly abused ....
Perspective time feathered friend ...

The great scholars have composed and constructed the great English Dictionaries

And the Great philosophers and poets have taken those words to another level

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member

@nightster is 100% correct ... a properly fitting mouthguard with the underside custom shaped to give a balanced occlusion with the lower teeth acts as a shock absorber .. this benefit mainly reduces the chances of a fractured jaw from a shot to the chin, but can mitigate some of the shock to the skull .. It is important to note that it is critical that all the lower teeth come into contact with the underside of the guard at the same time ... if the mouthguard is not custom made to ensure this happens if then it goes from being a protective device to just a foriegn object in the mouth waiting for a disaster ... for example if only one side of the lower jaw is contacting the unside or the guard, a heavy blow to the chin will send vastly different forces up either side of the jaw risking fracture ... or if only one tooth is contacting the underside of the guard, that point takes all the force and a broken jaw is almost guaranteed ...

Moops

Bencher
Perspective time feathered friend ...

The great scholars have composed and constructed the great English Dictionaries

And the Great philosophers and poets have taken those words to another level
That's beautiful!

tookey

First Grader
What an utter farce Magic Round has been.

The product we have now is ****; plain and simple.

No one wants to see such lopsided results. Every week teams are getting smacked by 30+ points and it's a stupid spectacle. Then to have players marched for 10 and/or sent off for accidental contact is plain stupid.

I am no dinosaur and I understand that we need the game cleaned up but the way they've gone about it is so dumb. **** back off to racing where you belong V'landys.
And the lopsided scores will only get worse when the talent is spread through 17 teams instead of 16

Vlandys changes everything because he wants to but fails to conduct proper consultation with the people who really know the game - the coaches and players

NYEagle

Bencher
Yeah Magic Round was a rollercoaster of emotions. It was lovely to see Manly win, and I don't mind opposition players being sent off for once, but it was really on the nose seeing the blowout scores.

I never thought I'd say this but maybe now is the time to bring the 5-metre defensive line back.

It would temper the collisions somewhat because players wouldn't running as far into the tackle and would also tighten the game a bit. The mid field looks like Basketball at the moment the players are running amok from one side of the field to the other it's getting a bit silly and leading to leg injuries. You look at the players as well behind the line and they are huffing and puffing like never before. How will this generate skill?.

A 5-metre rule would bring some of the skill elements we used to have as well such as chip over the top, and kicking for the line given that ground will be more valuable to gain, and tries of kicks. Take away the 7-tackle set off the dead ball and you have a recipe for both defence and attack.

Any thoughts on that idea?.

NYEagle

@nightster is 100% correct ... a properly fitting mouthguard with the underside custom shaped to give a balanced occlusion with the lower teeth acts as a shock absorber .. this benefit mainly reduces the chances of a fractured jaw from a shot to the chin, but can mitigate some of the shock to the skull .. It is important to note that it is critical that all the lower teeth come into contact with the underside of the guard at the same time ... if the mouthguard is not custom made to ensure this happens if then it goes from being a protective device to just a foriegn object in the mouth waiting for a disaster ... for example if only one side of the lower jaw is contacting the unside or the guard, a heavy blow to the chin will send vastly different forces up either side of the jaw risking fracture ... or if only one tooth is contacting the underside of the guard, that point takes all the force and a broken jaw is almost guaranteed ...
I used to wear two single purpose fitted mouthguards - an upper and lower after I got my bottom teeth smashed in from a cheap shot in Roma. I found the two mouthguards were great - never ever had another issue - just a bit difficult to talk initially but you get used to it.

Brissie Kid

Bencher
Yeah Magic Round was a rollercoaster of emotions. It was lovely to see Manly win, and I don't mind opposition players being sent off for once, but it was really on the nose seeing the blowout scores.

I never thought I'd say this but maybe now is the time to bring the 5-metre defensive line back.

It would temper the collisions somewhat because players wouldn't running as far into the tackle and would also tighten the game a bit. The mid field looks like Basketball at the moment the players are running amok from one side of the field to the other it's getting a bit silly and leading to leg injuries. You look at the players as well behind the line and they are huffing and puffing like never before. How will this generate skill?.

A 5-metre rule would bring some of the skill elements we used to have as well such as chip over the top, and kicking for the line given that ground will be more valuable to gain, and tries of kicks. Take away the 7-tackle set off the dead ball and you have a recipe for both defence and attack.

NYEagle

100%!

When the 10m rule came in Frank Hyde said (but no one listened) we don't need a 10m rule, all we need is for the referees to enforce the rules we have, which is both attack and defence back 5m. Having this rule enforced meant attack had to stand deep and spread the ball to get anywhere. If the attack didn't stand back 5m, then they were just punishing themselves unless they had a power forwards game or Phil Blake. Either option made for good footy to play and watch.

Instead we got a 10m rule that rewarded the attack for getting tackled with the ball after a one off hit up and the defence trying to slow it all down by wrestling. It also killed all bush footy and A grade as you needed to train all the time to be fit to play.

The NRL need to trial a 5m rule with 11 players a side. Or even trial the four tackle rule that was in from 1967 to 71 again. All of this will create a fast paced game, but without the wholesale blowout carnage caused by the 10m rule and six agains.

The NRL logic that fans want to see their favourite star players running riot as entertainment is ridiculous. What made Sterling, Bozo or Snoz O'Connor great was that were able to do what they did against a tough defence who would murder them if they got hold of them. The NRL will have Tedesco and the Fox playing against witches hats and wondering why no one is watching.

Last edited:

nightster

The older I get the better I was
Premium Member
Tipping Member
they offer some protection from jarring the brain from hits in the mouth /jaw ... ( oops I just read Woodsie's post that detailed that) ... I suppose if you got a really big one ...saw the size of Paul Kent's mouth you could wrap it around your noggin

Last edited:

Shoe1

Journey Man

NYEagle
I don’t mind it. When we play melbourne it looks like that rule is back anyway.

Peter C

Bencher
One very easy way to even up the contest in the NRL.

When a team scores a try, they then kick the ball off and the opposition get the opportunity to get the ball.

The good sides should still win, but surely it will be more even.
I think they did that when Super League formed, not sure though as I never watched a SL game

Snake

Snake's Alive!

NYEagle
I thought they could help the situation by reducing the interchange to 4. Once you go off, you're off, etc. That way players are gassed and that should reduce some of the intensity of the contact.

Dion Johnson

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
And the lopsided scores will only get worse when the talent is spread through 17 teams instead of 16

Vlandys changes everything because he wants to but fails to conduct proper consultation with the people who really know the game - the coaches and players
Some contradictions in Vlandy’s statements today, the game is facing extinction though they have been discussing expansion very heavily the last year or so.

ManlyArmy

Bencher
I'm all for the crackdown that happened over the weekend, as long as there is some leniency e.g Lachlan Burr hit on Tedesco. Something like this would be better.

- Any player that is falling and the defender's shoulder makes direct contact to the head and is unavoidable, it goes on report
- Any player that is falling and a swinging arm contacts the defenders head which wouldn't have necessarily happened up the player was upright, the defender goes to the bin.
- Any defender's shoulder or swinging arm contacts the attacker who is an or close to an upright position, it is a straight send off.

I get that accidents happen, but if there is direct contact to an attacking players head and that attacking player is near upright, then the defender must be sent.

I also think that scaling back of the 6 again rule by changing offsides back to penalties will slow the game down just that little bit to lessen some fatigue, but not bring back Wrestlemania from seasons past.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
11 6 5 -9 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 5 6 47 12
11 5 6 -88 12