NHL (ice) Hockey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RE: NHL 2013

globaleagle said:
well....the last time rangers won was when they beat my team, the canucks, in game seven in one of those heart tearing moments.

So you're not going to get much love for the rangers from me!!!

I don't know about entitlement but the west coast (LA) is a much stronger conference than the east coast (ny) so LA should....that's should win it fairly convincingly.

The skill of those guys are pretty amazing!

edit: fcukin' rangers!!!!!

So from all you say mate, pretty much ensures the Rangers will win!

What happened to the Canucks by the way...especially to inspire Dan there!

Ripped off or unlucky or something?

RiverEagle said:
So from all you say mate, pretty much ensures the Rangers will win!

What happened to the Canucks by the way...especially to inspire Dan there!

Ripped off or unlucky or something?

lol, my tipping is really that bad hey!

We got a new coach this year - ironically we got the old rangers coach and the rangers got our old coach!

The new coach (tortorella) had such a different playing style that the players couldn't adapt. His was "Score 1 goal then everyone throw yourselves in front of pucks travelling at 140kph to stop them scoring against us."

Needless to say, this did not work. In fact 1 of our players, who had played over 650 games CONSECUTIVELY got injured under this style.

It worked for about 6 weeks. In december we were on top of our division (ladder) but as injuries mounted up, the results fell away.

Also (a bit like tooves) a hockey team has 4 lines (of players) to use. Our coach only ever wanted to use 3.

So we became injured, exhausted, and sick of the coaching style.

At the end of the year the coach also said...well this is an old team and we need different players.

Finally the owners have had enough and sacked the coach 1 year into his 4 year contract....and fired the general manager as well.

Cheers @globaleagle

I sometimes wonder why organizations dive straight into the deep end with contracts for coaches (straight up the Warriors gave McFadden 3 yrs, and Stuart has 7 ! at the Raiders). That's a lotta' pain or egg on faces if termination is deemed necessary.

My NFL team (Cleveland Browns) did a similar thing at the end of last season. Having talked up the new, young buck that took over, and signed him long term, they quickly found he butted heads with everyone too much and boned him as soon as season one was done.

So the sacking of the Canucks coach there is the same, and hardly can inspire fans to trust in the front office to be making the right calls.

How many games do they play in a regular season BTW?

650 consecutive games is extraordinary.

679 games to be precise!

BUT for some reason they don't include final games in which the canucks have been in for the past 9 years so there's another 50 to 100 games there, plus in the 2004 lockout he went home to sweden and played 44 games in their league!

There are 82 games in a regular season.

The record for consecutive games is 964 friggen games - by doug jarvis who over his 12 year career...did not miss 1 match!

sheesh

That is remarkable mate.

You would think, from afar, the nature and ''willingness'' of the sport would see plenty of scope for injuries.

While we're in the education phase here, how long are games, and how many do they play per week, in the regular season?

RiverEagle said:
That is remarkable mate.

You would think, from afar, the nature and ''willingness'' of the sport would see plenty of scope for injuries.

While we're in the education phase here, how long are games, and how many do they play per week, in the regular season?

The games are broken into 3 'periods' of 20 minutes each.

In between the games there's a 15 min break.

There are no limits to the amount of times players can go on or off the ice.

In most games, defencemen play more minutes than offence.

Playing over 25mins a game is considered high.

Whilst that sounds low to us league people, in general a skaters shift on the ice is between 30 to 45 seconds long (depending on the game's situation...may be longer) but it must be understood that these guys are generally sprinting (skating) as fast as they can go.

Even in league players aren't doing extended periods of flat out sprinting.

There are plenty of injuries....but usually of a different type to league as being a full contact sport....well brutal! That said being hit head first into the sideboards whilst skating at 20-40 kph an hour is an (illegal) recipie for disaster!

Yeah same as the super-hits and illegalities (and fights!) are highlighted, often out of context in footy, I've certainly seen the big body-checks, brain explosions and fisti-cuffs on the ice.

You say ''in between games'' there's a 15 minute break...So they play more than one game a night??

Like the NBA and MLB, I sometimes wonder about the logistics of ALL that travel for teams and their entourages, of course. Baseball and basketball play so many games per season.

Likewise the NHL teams too, obviously.

And I know they are paid handsomely (too much in the eyes of many) but I'd bet it's far from as easy as those ppl think, too.

RiverEagle said:
Yeah same as the super-hits and illegalities (and fights!) are highlighted, often out of context in footy, I've certainly seen the big body-checks, brain explosions and fisti-cuffs on the ice.

You say ''in between games'' there's a 15 minute break...So they play more than one game a night??

Like the NBA and MLB, I sometimes wonder about the logistics of ALL that travel for teams and their entourages, of course. Baseball and basketball play so many games per season.

Likewise the NHL teams too, obviously.

And I know they are paid handsomely (too much in the eyes of many) but I'd bet it's far from as easy as those ppl think, too.

NO, I'm just an idiot that can't type!!!

I meant to say there is a 15min break between periods. There's only one game per night!

so the game goes for an hour: 3 x 20min periods with 15 min break between the periods.

They'll often play twice a week, many times three times a week.

Sometimes they play on consecutive nights, other times 4-5 days between games.

The canucks travel more than any other team, a lot more, but don't get any concessions for it. They are paid pretty well...but not as well as baseballers (fat old buggers!).

That's a reason why you don't read about many off field incidents. Players are too busy playing, travelling or training to have a few drinks after each game!

Interesting they have 15mins between periods.. Seems a long time but I'm guessing that's a nod to exactly how taxing the game is!

Agree on baseballers too....I do like the game now and then, but it is amazing how outta shape so many guys in the majors are.

I guess to compliment the fat wallets.

RiverEagle said:
Interesting they have 15mins between periods.. Seems a long time but I'm guessing that's a nod to exactly how taxing the game is!

Agree on baseballers too....I do like the game now and then, but it is amazing how outta shape so many guys in the majors are.

I guess to compliment the fat wallets.

the 15 minutes is more a reflection on the size or the arena's, bathroom facilities and beer lines

^ erm... lol

LA beat NYR in overtime 3-2. Lead the best of 7 finals 1-0.

rangers lead 2-0 early in the first period but la eventually ran them down.

eventually.

globaleagle said:
^ erm... lol

LA beat NYR in overtime 3-2. Lead the best of 7 finals 1-0.

rangers lead 2-0 early in the first period but la eventually ran them down.

eventually.

Yeah I saw the game on ESPN this arv, but didn't have time to stop and watch it.

Was 2-2 at the time.

So you're prediction of the Kings was correct, albeit in overtime.

Wouldn't mind if it ebbed and flowed all the way to Game 7; so I can get to know the game better, and then watch the decider!

We'll see.

There's no shoot outs in the finals....they just keep playing next goal wins.

Overtime periods go for a max of 20 mins, just like a normal period of hockey.

In the regular season, overtime is only 5 mins long before they go to a shootout.

I once watched a game that went to 4 overtimes!!!!!

That meant the game was 60mins long and the overtime was 80mins!

edit: I would be surprised if we didn't go to at least 5 games in this series.

I tried to watch some of the replay late last night here...

Seriously, I couldn't even see the puck most of the time; even in HD!

I got frustrated and channel-hopped for what didn't feel like a long time...switched back and it was 2-1 Rangers all of a sudden.

Then you have this frantic end-to-end action for awhile, suddenly contrasted by the LONG break between periods......

Still I easily see why it's popular (definitely amazing skills) and I may just perseverve until I get the hang of it all...or at least until I can keep track of the puck!

#NiceIceBaby!

RiverEagle said:
I tried to watch some of the replay late last night here...

Seriously, I couldn't even see the puck most of the time; even in HD!

I got frustrated and channel-hopped for what didn't feel like a long time...switched back and it was 2-1 Rangers all of a sudden.

Then you have this frantic end-to-end action for awhile, suddenly contrasted by the LONG break between periods......

Still I easily see why it's popular (definitely amazing skills) and I may just perseverve until I get the hang of it all...or at least until I can keep track of the puck!

#NiceIceBaby!

lol, EVERYONE, including me says the same thing about the puck at first. :D Kinda happy you did to!!
Years ago the yanks tried making a purple streak (like a comet's tail) trail it around on the tv set. But too much outrage ensued.

You get used to it, and also you start looking where the players head too more so than the puck (sometimes) and you get used to the players often smacking it around the boards behind the goalie.

I've gotten used to the amalgamation between the game and the need for tv. what I mean is...for example.... When the clock has less than 10 mins on it, the first break in the action is always deemed a tv break. so they all get a mini break to the tv stations can get some decent ads in. (It's about 2 mins I think but still a lot longer than the 30 seconds or so.

Footy purists may decry this but how many times does channel 9 come back and we're at the second tackle?? Also notice none of the jerseys have sponsors on them? $$$$$ from broadcasters etc.

Actually afl kinda do this already.

The long breaks between is for drinking with buddies, refilling food bowls, and discussions about what you've just seen. Game is too fast to have long winded discussions during the periods!

Glad you're sticking with it!

Well I'm glad it's not just me too then mate.

I can see myself warming to it , as I've said, I can get a handle on and passion for most sports...Golf being one of the other few I'm not that taken by.

I will definitely look out for game 2 and beyond now and get back to you here!

I just saw the result for Game 2.

Kings 5-4 in double overtime.

Didn't see any of it though having gone out for lunch.

Sounds like another thriller of course; but the Kings go up 2-0 heading back to the Big Apple for game 3 and beyond.

I might try scouting around for a replay later, and the Rangers have their backs against the wall well and truly now.

Yup, that's twice the rangers have led by 2 goals only to squander them away.

Players looked buggered. commentators were saying that in between the period breaks....players were eating pizza, pasta etc to keep the energy up!

Next game in only 2 days across the country! Be some tired boys then!

Eh, F the Rags. My general dislike of them aside, they're probably one of the most undeserving cup finalists in a while. Only got past the Habs & Philly thanks to some dirty play taking out the oppositions goalie. Also, they have Dan Carcillo in their team...so that's karma for you.

That said I don't much like the Kings either, but at least I can cheer on Richards & Carter getting another cup. If LA get the win today I think it'll be a sweep, but can't see them losing the series either way.

So I caught the end of game 3.

Kings cruise home 3-0 in NY city.

What's with the empty net penalty??

New York had no goalie for the last five minutes it seemed.

Wouldn't have mattered much, and didn't in the end; with the Kings 3 up then.

Things are slipping fast and going rotten in the Big Apple (as far as Rangers go that is).

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 3 5 -55 8