Post-Game Discussion Manly v Roosters [Round 18, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Roosters
18 4 Pines Park
02 Jul 2023 16:05
80:00 minute

Match Stats

Schu threw a pass to a man in hole that any of us could've scored but yeah "won the match".
Shyster went closer to helping the Roosters win than us.

If it was that easy, why didn't we score another 5 of them on the right side?

You must think passes and running into gaps just happen.

Yeah, most times they are off side but to be fair, we have little or no line speed ourselves. Thats where the top teams get the better of us. Our defence was mostly really good but Tui really struggles. Don't know what we do about our line speed. Once we're going backwards, we're toast.
It was a concern they were making 60/70mts each set against our 30/35, a few calls and penalties went out way in the 2nd half which helped us immensely

Line speed is a direct result of play the ball speed ... if your defence is back waiting for the ball to be played .. they can move up quickly ..

If your defence is still getting back when the ball is played you are flat footed and rooted ..

It gets back to winning the ruck or wrestle.
Yeah I was also going to say we did actually slow their play the balls down more than normal. We're usually so passive in tackles we give teams like Storm easy ground. We did it a couple of times today and they got a roll on but slowing the ball down better saved us a lot of gief.

Every week teams rush up on DCE / Shuster who have zero time or a split second to pass.
We need a running 9 who can scoot from dummy half for 20 minutes or so in a game. Having Croker play the full 80 minutes makes life hard for the halves, since teams know the ball will go through their hands 100 percent of the time. Bringing in GCKT or sign some natural 9 from another club to do this, will make teams think twice about rushing up.

That Nat (or Nate?? they change it sometimes) is good, would like him on our team.
JWH dirty eye gouge looked on purpose to me, don't think he was put on report.
Chez good, Rubes good, Jake good.
Parker had good and bad moments, Manu is tough to mark though.
Glad we got the win but it should've been easier, made it tough for themselves.
I'll give them this, they defended really well. Schuster was our game breaker.

Line speed is a direct result of play the ball speed ... if your defence is back waiting for the ball to be played .. they can move up quickly ..

If your defence is still getting back when the ball is played you are flat footed and rooted ..

It gets back to winning the ruck or wrestle.
and the 9 ball distributer

Blue waffle lol
Season 17 Omg GIF by America's Got Talent

It was a concern they were making 60/70mts each set against our 30/35, a few calls and penalties went out way in the 2nd half which helped us immensely
We looked a bit pedestrian and too structured compared to them.
In my opinion the major point of difference is we don't have a running 5/8 so when we shift left, it goes to Jake who either
a) straightens up as another hit up or
b) passes to Schu who doesn't take the line on.

The signing of Brooks should fix that...hopefully.

They had Keary who's always probing (and at speed) on the left and Manu asking questions on the right. That stretches us a bit with more space up the middle too.

They could compress and held us safely for most of the night but possession and field position eventually told.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 3 5 -55 8