Game Day: Manly v Eels [Round 22, 2016]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Barrett is a super coach . Congratulations !!!
Well that's an interesting interpretation. I'm still neutral on Barrett, always have been. Massive Toovey fan. but I'll give Barrett time ...for now. The team dropped the ball and played bad tonight. Everyone is responsible.
And Cecchin can shove his whistle.

Yep he coached Jamie b to those three dropped balls, or Tom t to his
We had the opportunity to win this game No excuses . I am a proud follower of this club and I have seen us win games under great adversity and your making excuses for our loss because of 3 dropped balls . Our teams of the past had the character to over come these excuses of yours feathered friend .

i can handle a 40 nil hiding against any team but to loose 4 in a row from the eels and potentially a season on the line is salt on the wound. i fkn hate the squeels and Barret even more for not having a fkn game plan against them.

Well that's an interesting interpretation. I'm still neutral on Barrett, always have been. Massive Toovey fan. but I'll give Barrett time ...for now. The team dropped the ball and played bad tonight. Everyone is responsible.
And Cecchin can shove his whistle.
Barrett had all season to see ( just like blind freddy could ) that Walker is a liability at 5/8 but he still picks him there .
But as you say give Barrett time, after all he is a bit slow in seeing things unfold

Horhay is frustrating with his seemingly lack of urgency sometimes, but to call him lazy is just plain wrong. He does so much grunt work coming out of our end. He has really stepped up and filled Skivvi's role in that department. He would have been in our top 3 for meters tonight for sure. His play the balls are infuriatingly slow though, which undoes a bit of that good work he does getting over the ad line. He needs to learn the put the ball down and step over it as you stand up method. He always fully gets to his feet and then plays it.....so........blooody..........slooooooowly
Wingers have lead hit up stats and metres for the past 10 years. All you have to do is follow turbo on his kick return and take the next ball up. 15 of his 16 hit ups would have been on the second tackle. But I digress. He was fantastic. Specially with his enthusiasm towards the younger backs. A future leader. Man of many words.

Wingers have lead hit up stats and metres for the past 10 years. All you have to do is follow turbo on his kick return and take the next ball up. 15 of his 16 hit ups would have been on the second tackle. But I digress. He was fantastic. Specially with his enthusiasm towards the younger backs. A future leader. Man of many words.
How many meters did Wright make if it's that easy ?? Look he's a polarising player, lots here don't like him because of his perceived lack of enthusiasm. That's understandable, but I just don't think he has been lazy.

As much as doesn't-matta were offside a lot when rushing up, especially against our left side in attack and even more so against DCE.....the fact is that we didn't adjust to it all game. It was obvious early on that the refs were letting them get away with it so we needed to stand a bit deeper in attack, but again we didn't.

That in itself is poor coaching. Barrett or even Cartwright should have seen what was going on and sent the message out, or at least said something about it at half time.

You know, I'd love to say we were Cecchined out there tonight but the fact is that we played poorly all game. Do that next week and the Dogs will kill us, same with the Storm and Raiders.

BTW, who got Nein's MoM?

Barrett had all season to see ( just like blind freddy could ) that Walker is a liability at 5/8 but he still picks him there .
But as you say give Barrett time, after all he is a bit slow in seeing things unfold
No use going back and forth with this. There seems to be some misinterpretations. Sucks to lose.
I'm out.
Go Manly!

I know you guys think that I believe Toovey should have stayed as coach, I was happy for the club to go into a different direction after Toovey but there was no need to white ant his season in the media like Zorba did and then sack him with a year to go on his contract. They could have let Toovey see out this year and moved him on for a guy like Ivan Cleary next season. Just not Barrett anyone but Barrett, I would actually rather Brian Smith.
Whoa, let's not say things we can't take back. Brian Smith? That's one way to make sure Jamie retired early.

I agree depth is over-rated and thats why the Raiders of the 90's were the last team to win a GF with it. Depth also is a way of hiding inefficiencies in backline movement. Neat Flat and Direct with quick play the balls builds enormous momentum and gets oppositions on the back foot. Back line moves that are sharp and flat gives oppositions little time to make the right decision on who to hit. Just ask Marty.
Every GF winning team plays with depth in the red zone including this past decade
...you are correct however with the modern day game being won through winning quick play the balls & flat attack pushing up in numbers to create momentum...in the red zone depth is always a must...though some flat steamrollers close to the line is perfect against a stretched defence....the defence of Eels in this zone was almost 80's umbrella style....not slide where you play directly through it....the attack MUST be deep to execute effectively in this situation or of course, have a kicking game that gets behind this up & in defence.
As TC stated...Eels had depth & didn't worry Manly too much out wide, difference was Manly did not play a compressed defence, more held their line unlike Eels.

How many meters did Wright make if it's that easy ?? Look he's a polarising player, lots here don't like him because of his perceived lack of enthusiasm. That's understandable, but I just don't think he has been lazy.
Maybe you are right and he is not lazy. Maybe he is. To me the jury is out. Surely his "perceived lack of enthusiasm" must be of concern to you?he bombed really simple tries last week against the Knights. Why? I ask you?wright, though is just a poor recruit.

With Killer not playing tonight and Parcell still out injured, Barrett basically had 2 options when it came to 5/8.

1 - Walker with Brown in the centres.
2 - Api with Brown at hooker and Walker in the centres.

Honestly, the 2nd option sounds better but playing Brown anywhere is dangerous.

or of course, have a kicking game that gets behind this up & in defence.

and that's exactly what we didn't have tonight. When their winger is rushing up 3 players in from the sideline good playmakers make them pay with a grubber or chip. Our kicking game tonight was pretty bloody ordinary. Ironically the one time we had them backpedalling and should have kept the ball in hand Walker kicks it dead

Is Isaac John still injured?

Why oh why don't we EVER give this guy (or any other previous reserve half) a go when we clearly have no other option worthy?

Walker is NOT a 5/8 and I wouldn't put Api back there either. John at 5/8 and Walker in the centres may have given us a better chance.

All parra had to do was rush up on Cherry all night and we'd be stuffed. At least with another half out there, we would've had someone else for them to watch out for, even if it was just for another kicking option.

My kingdom for a 5/8!

and that's exactly what we didn't have tonight. When their winger is rushing up 3 players in from the sideline good playmakers make them pay with a grubber or chip. Our kicking game tonight was pretty bloody ordinary. Ironically the one time we had them backpedalling and should have kept the ball in hand Walker kicks it dead
Imagine the field day a JT or Morgan would have had just grubbering in behind those up and in rushing Parra backs. Even Thaiday grabbed a try this way last night. We either would have scored a bounty of tries or forced the Eels to adjust their strategy.

We should not have Walker any where near our last tackle options as he has been a disaster with last ball options all year . Tonight we should have had Walker in the Centres Api 5/8 and Brown Hooker. But off course Barrett is the so called super coach .

When a guy like DCE is showing the ball and running across the ground, is it really that hard for an outside back to run a good line between defenders instead of standing around?!
And we still seem to run the same predictable backline plays as last yr!
We need to practice on second phase and ad lib attack. Only Tom T seems to actively looking to support.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12