Kelly optimistic with Foran and DCE

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
SEA Eagles chief executive Joe Kelly wants to have the futures of star halves Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans finalised by the kick-off of the NRL season at the beginning of March.

And while he is a realist, the new Manly boss remains optimistic that the club will be able to re-sign the dynamic duo past 2015.

Both players come off contract at the end of this year and have become the hottest properties in the game.

Speculation about their futures started midway through last season and continued ever since.

739698-284eb754-96fb-11e4-b123-a468d5bc6e39.jpg

Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans during Manly training.Source: News Corp Australia

The club clearly wants to avoid a repeat of the situation last year when talk about where Glenn Stewart and Anthony Watmough would end up became a long running soap opera and took away from the team’s on-field performances.

“There is no news in Daly and Cherry just yet,” Kelly said.

“Both managers are away at the moment but that dialogue will start again next week.

“We have always said that our time frames are by season’s commencement we’d like to have the players locked down.

“We don’t want any distractions to our football.

“We literally want to focus on that and really know what direction we are heading in by the start of the season.”

739750-2a9be43c-96fb-11e4-b123-a468d5bc6e39.jpg

Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran during Manly training.Source: News Limited

The Broncos, Warriors, Bulldogs, Eels, Roosters and Titans are among the potential suitors who have been mentioned in dispatches for the dynamic duo.

“I am positive, I am optimistic and at the same time realistic,” Kelly said.

“They are top class players, they are marque players in the game and there is obviously going to be interest from other clubs.

“But we are very hopeful of retaining both of them.

“We do see that they are key to our success going forward and building a team around the two of them.”

739778-297f8ca2-96fb-11e4-b123-a468d5bc6e39.jpg

Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans during Manly training.Source: News Corp Australia

Before Christmas Foran said he was aware the sooner he can get his future sorted out the better for everyone.

“I don’t want it being dragged on all through the season and ending up becoming a circus,” he said.

For an and Cherry-Evans returned to training with the rest of the Sea Eagles squad on Monday and, not surprisingly, both impressed.

“They looked really good, we had some fitness tests and they were right up near the top of that,” said coach Geoff Toovey.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...-season-kick-off/story-e6frf3ru-1227178739804

Last edited by a moderator:
That'd be a nice pre season present for us all.

foz and dce signed for 5 years each!

Pass the third party hat around!!!

If he can pull off signing both of them then he is a magician. In his own words he is thinking positively but is being realistic, i.e. we are a 1000-1 to retain both but we will get one.

The most positive thing about that article is that they want it sorted one way or other before kick off to season 2015. Amen to that !!

MadMarcus said:

Is he deliberately avoiding talking about Foz??

Freudian slip ?? Foz is gone and we are concentrating on DCE.

Chip and Chase said:
If he can pull off signing both of them then he is a magician. In his own words he is thinking positively but is being realistic, i.e. we are a 1000-1 to retain both but we will get one.

The most positive thing about that article is that they want it sorted one way or other before kick off to season 2015. Amen to that !!

MadMarcus said:

Is he deliberately avoiding talking about Foz??

Freudian slip ?? Foz is gone and we are concentrating on DCE.

In what sense are we 1000-1 to retain both?
Isn't our salary cap the same as the others??

I just don't get it.

It's not like we're Souths, Easts, Canterbury or Parra and have bought heaps of expensive star players year after year.

Killer was our last big signing and that was 2006 FFS - almost a decade ago.

So. in fact, manly are the only club that CAN sign both!!!! FMdead!

Added to that, that if anything, manly is a club that conceivably could get players @ "unders" (especially existing players in retention).

Add to that, Sid & Foz are on reasonable dollars @ the mo & only need topping up by a few hundred thousand each, to get them to stay
(maybe an extra $300 to $400k each,
on what they currently earn).

Mason replaced kingdog.

Gift ($650k) & choc($950k back ended)
were replaced by reggies - so there's the
money needed to retain both our halves.

Done.

That is ofcourse, if you want to stay.

Nothing new in that article. I'd be surprised if he said he was pessimistic and feeling negative about the whole process.

I love rampant speculation on what players are/should be getting paid. Fact is that they are 2 x marquee players (international class halves no less - a rare commodity) that would be the key signing for a lot of NRL clubs. They will command big dollars. The rest of our backline would be on good coin as well given their talent and experience. We might have saved a bit by moving on a couple or long serving backrowers but we have spent a bit in replacing them (Mateo, Vave, Baker, Leary) and we have upgraded others with an eye to the future.

Just because we haven't signed any big name players since Killer doesn't mean we don't have any. We have developed half a team of superstars instead of buying them, doesn't mean they aren't getting paid market rates.

Maybe with some crafty juggling we will keep both, let's hope so. It may mean losing a couple more club legends over the next season or two though

I'd like to think that considering Melbourne have kept Cronk, Smith, and Slater in the same squad it can be done. They've been able to keep some pretty handy players around those three as well.

Chambers
Proctor
Bromwich
Harris
Hinchcliffe

to name a few, as well as signing Dale Finucane recently.

They have had to offload some quality as well in Ryan Hoffman, but we have too.

I believe it can be done, it's more a case of whether these two want to stick around and play together long term. The culture and success at Melbourne is what has kept the big three together.

Snake said:
I'd like to think that considering Melbourne have kept Cronk, Smith, and Slater in the same squad it can be done. They've been able to keep some pretty handy players around those three as well.

Chambers
Proctor
Bromwich
Harris
Hinchcliffe

I believe it can be done, it's more a case of whether these two want to stick around and play together long term. The culture and success at Melbourne is what has kept the big three together.

A culture of cheating.

Snake said:

Chambers
Proctor
Bromwich
Harris
Hinchcliffe

You made a very valid point there Snake . Fkn oath it can be done The most logical post of all !!!

Sorry Joe the damage was done before you came on board
then someone should tell Joe to stop wasting his time them or tell the person you got your info to tell Joe that he is only wasting his time with Foran,its obvious then Joe doesnt know he is gone

I honestly believe that we will only get the one..... And if I had to pick, I'd pick DCE..... Love Foran but I don't think he's as good as dce, and i see him and always have as a lock, he's tough but not exactly a half worth a million bucks.... Still would be really sad to see him go, but I also wouldn't want him for the dollars being spoken about...... im sure he's not on chicken feed now, so we could find a half decent replacement.

Should've let Matai and Snake go when they wanted to. Would leave plenty of coin for DCE and Foz.

Should've let Matai and Snake go when they wanted to. Would leave plenty of coin for DCE and Foz.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't considered. Surely all clubs look at these sorts of scenarios about what they can live with/without with regards to the cap?

I do not understand this idea that occasionally pops up on our forum that Foran is in some ways no frills. In the past he has been described as nothing more than a good honest tough 5/8 with a limited skill set....PLEASE!!!!!!!

Our player of the season has it all.

The banana kick for Snake, the cross field bomb for Killer (see try against Tigers), the short ball for Horo (see try against Cowboys), the second man pass for Snake, the short ball for Buhrer (see try against Cowboys), the inside ball for Snake (see try of the year against Roosters), the delicate grubber for a repeat set, charging onto an inside ball (own try against Tigers), the bone crushing defence, supporting up the middle (see try against Titans)...the list in endless.

He is all that and a bag of chips in my opinion, and I will be absolutely gutted to see him in anything other than the maroon and white of Manly.

I do not understand this idea that occasionally pops up on our forum that Foran is in some ways no frills. In the past he has been described as nothing more than a good honest tough 5/8 with a limited skill set....PLEASE!!!!!!!

Our player of the season has it all.

The banana kick for Snake, the cross field bomb for Killer (see try against Tigers), the short ball for Horo (see try against Cowboys), the second man pass for Snake, the short ball for Buhrer (see try against Cowboys), the inside ball for Snake (see try of the year against Roosters), the delicate grubber for a repeat set, charging onto an inside ball (own try against Tigers), the bone crushing defence, supporting up the middle (see try against Titans)...the list in endless.

He is all that and a bag of chips in my opinion, and I will be absolutely gutted to see him in anything other than the maroon and white of Manly.

Agree 100%. He is also a great leader and will easily be our next captain if he stays.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8