Josh Massoud tweeted recruitment news?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Then he wouldn't sign. He is looking for a FG position, and he is being shopped around for those purposes. One of the first questions his manager is asking the suitors, is what are your plans for him? If the response is, we want him to play NSW Cup and if Taufua, Hiku, Gutherson, or Trbojevic go down injured, we will need him. Don't think so...

There are no guarantees on playing future. In reality, contract negotiations may well talk about preferred positions and how the player might fit into future plans, but that is all it is, future plans.

Super news but only thing I would change is to have signed the Trjobovic boys to 4 year deals as in 2 years - there will be a que from Pittwater RD to Townsville to sign them...still awesome to have the boys playing where there heart is & with the Tooves/Beaver mentallity, will take more than the $$$ to make them go to the dark side.

I would've signed them for 10 year deals worth $95k a year each with a clause in the contract stipulating that Manly can release them at no cost in the event of serious injury.

There are no guarantees on playing future. In reality, contract negotiations may well talk about preferred positions and how the player might fit into future plans, but that is all it is, future plans.
He is not looking to leave Newcastle because he doesn't like it up there; he is still under contract. The only reason he is asking for a release is to go to a club where he will get first crack at a wing spot. If that doesn't look like happening at Manly, he will stay put, or potentially go to Canberra or the Titans, where players like Dodds and Rapana are running around.

I'm pretty sure Gutho played some games at 5/8 in either 20's or NSW cup
Yes he has - not a huge amount, but he hasn't certainly played there a few times.

He is not looking to leave Newcastle because he doesn't like it up there; he is still under contract. The only reason he is asking for a release is to go to a club where he will get first crack at a wing spot. If that doesn't look like happening at Manly, he will stay put, or potentially go to Canberra or the Titans, where players like Dodds and Rapana are running around.
...and throw in the inevitable $600k offer from the Warriors.

Ok sure. My point still stands though. Its all discussions around the contract table, & he isnt going to get a guarantee of a 1st grade spot.

The reason they're only signing up to 2017 is because the TV rights is up for grabs again which might mean more money for players.

He has something more in him then a winger. I doubt I have seen him play as much as yourself from what I have seen of him, he has vision and the ability to deliver on it, an integral part of been 5/8. Also loves the tough stuff, willing to take the line on and is aggressive with his defence. Helps he can kick a ball as well. I'm not saying partner him with Elgey next year but if we could develop him into a 5/8 over the next year or two it would be a great outcome. We can use Killer there for the time been as I think he can get away with been a yard slower in that position and provide an older head for Elgey to partner with. I'm suggesting one guy play out of position I don't think it's obsessed.
And @Loobs

I don't think he has the vision for it. Generally if you aren't being played there in juniors there is a reason for it. Also the modern 5/8 needs a good long kicking game which I have seen no evidence of. A lot of players can put through a decent grubber when its not expected its different to kicking under pressure when the opposition knows that you are the kick option. Look at Hayne, superstar but he was never cut out to be a 5/8. As I said earlier he hasn't really played any of his junior footy or 20's in the halves and I think its a big expectation to assume he could make that transition.

And @Loobs

I don't think he has the vision for it. Generally if you aren't being played there in juniors there is a reason for it. Also the modern 5/8 needs a good long kicking game which I have seen no evidence of. A lot of players can put through a decent grubber when its not expected its different to kicking under pressure when the opposition knows that you are the kick option. Look at Hayne, superstar but he was never cut out to be a 5/8. As I said earlier he hasn't really played any of his junior footy or 20's in the halves and I think its a big expectation to assume he could make that transition.

Hopefully we sign a decent 5/8 and its a moot point

Hopefully we sign a decent 5/8 and its a moot point
hopefully we sign LG and DCE backflips. Then we can create some more initialisms and acronyms. TT, PH, CG, SM, DCE, LG, JT could all play well together maybe they could even call BS. Lol I could keep going but there are some good ones in there I didn't realise.

How good would it be if we sign Elgey and he turns out a better halfback than DCE.
I recall a similar player swap a few years back. Kimmorley for Orford plus cash. The same silly club ended up getting Orford back for a lot more coin when they realised he was plenty better than Kimmorley.

I'm kind of hoping history repeats but with the shoe on the other foot. :)

I recall a similar player swap a few years back. Kimmorley for Orford plus cash. The same silly club ended up getting Orford back for a lot more coin when they realised he was plenty better than Kimmorley.

I'm kind of hoping history repeats but with the shoe on the other foot. :)
Yes that would be awesome and in all likelihood a very real possibility.

As we've seen, most 7's will be as good as their pack allows them to be.

Signing Elgey doesn't mean we put up the "mission accomplished" banner. Still a lot of recruiting work to do...

I have seen gutho play 5/8 last year with 6 on his back in Nsw cup. He is a top fullback with skills that are transferable.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8