It was Des all along coaching thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who do you think will be coaching us next year?

• Total voters
Also have a feel Des will attract some quality signings, simply gives Manly more backbone immediately....if he gets the gig of course @:)

46F9BF0B-C280-4FB2-970E-6FE95D44FB33.jpeg

Welcome home prodigal son.

Great article by Kent, however if someone is concentrating hard over a document it is “poring” not “pouring”. Unless he spilled his coffee!!!!! Lol somebody stop me.

Also I gather a different ex coach is back.

Struggling Manly cannot afford to ignore Geoff Toovey’s interest in taking over from Trent Barrett
Paul Kent, The Daily Telegraph
8 minutes ago
Subscriber only
GEOFF Toovey’s timing was always perfect, like every hero.

He came to Manly at a time when the Sea Eagles were turning over a generation and, for more than a decade, he would shape the Sea Eagles' identity.

They were tough and relentless and always at you. It delivered three grand finals, a premiership and a trip to the finals almost every season.

Manly bosses should ignore Toovey’s offer to rescue the club at their peril.

They would not be employing a football coach.

Manly owner Scott Penn needs to consider Toovey not for his potential to resurrect the football program, but to save the club itself.

4431c8521896d8ab6e5a2e3c5af4db74

Geoff Toovey doesn’t want to spending his time at Manly Beach. (Adam Yip)
Toovey was restless this past winter.

Through the week he induced himself into small coma, pouring over numbers in his job as a chartered accountant. For a man who remains one of the game’s greatest competitors this was akin to putting a lion in a circus cage.

Given his private hell, though, it’s tough to say his weekends were worse.

Without the emotional high of wins and losses in his life, the nervous flutters in the dressing room before games, the energy in the coach’s box during games, the pay-off after it was all over, Toovey found his weekends flat and excruciating.

eb841d2589471cad67582d39a47ba9cf

Des Hasler too Manly to unexpected heights.
Towards the end of the season he was talking to Des Hasler, another former coach counting minutes on the clock, and he fired up about their lack of weekend activity, the boredom they shared, and he convinced Hasler they should take Hasler’s boat and go out on the water for some fishing and fun.

Hasler had given the boat so little use he had to go to his storage shed to get the outboard motor.

He pulled it out for what would be its second run in nine years.

They went out on the water to do a little fishing and quickly found neither had the patience for it. Sea Eagles yes, sea legs no.

The motor went back into storage.

b24aa9ddb7dd3ae750cd99c56b2a3721

Toovey was able to carry on Hasler’s work. (Brett Costello)
Hasler has come in for a lot of criticism since he became an unemployed coach but nobody can deny what he was able to at Manly on, what we are now discovering, was limited chance.

This largesse of private ownership was a mirage. The Sea Eagles’ first priority seems, according to owners, to do it cheaper than everybody else.

To where it has made the club vulnerable.

Toovey came in after Hasler and also had success.

In his four seasons at Manly Toovey made a preliminary final, a grand final and a semi-final before finishing a win out of the top eight in his final season.

Most clubs would kill for a coach to sack after stint like that.

What failed to get acknowledged was the duress the success came under.

93ed767e266fa20635b5341c07ed5585

Working with no support was Barrett’s breaking point. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts)
Toovey operated on the same limited budget outgoing coach Trent Barrett found unacceptable. That Michael Maguire walked away from after being offered the job.

The little known end for Toovey began Parramatta, using illegal money because they were cheating the cap, lured Anthony Watmough away mid-season and the house of cards came down.

Toovey got sacked and the club went into a rebuild that has come in for misplaced criticism. The Sea Eagles have three Kangaroos and a Kiwi playing in Saturday’s Test. Only the Roosters have more Kangaroos.

4eb90f2eb52c4c10b2e9de8ac61250d7

Manly still have a beating heart of talent. (AAP Image/Darren England)
The NRL, as the licence owner, need to give Scott Penn a kick in the pants and tell him to get his club in shape or the licence is going to someone else.

Penn is on record saying the club has cost him between $1 million and $1.5 million a year since he bought it in 2009.

He is still in front, though.

When Penn bought the Sea Eagles for $7.5 million in 2009 he not only got the football team but got the Manly Leagues Club as well, where the true rivers of gold ran.

When the vote went to members former first grader and Manly developer Phil Franks, who had recent close links to the club, aggressively opposed the sale. Club chairman Bob Reilly had to interrupt Franks’ spiel to get on with the vote.

505de7500e6b50f72b12723a3f33b0b2

Manly co-owner Scott Penn has been the target of much criticism. (Tim Hunter.)
The hands went up and Manly members voted overwhelmingly in favour.

Sold.

As the hands were still being counted, a landslide, Franks stood and stopped at the door on the way out.

“Rest in peace,” he yelled.

Who ever knew he was a prophet.

Penn sold the leagues club land and its car park to Chinese investors in 2015 for a deal believed to be worth $35 million.

The Leagues Club lease runs out in May next year, which almost certainly spells the end for the failing Leagues Club.

It all masks something more, though, which is that the club has lost its soul.

The only roots tying the Sea Eagles to the northern peninsula after the club goes will be faded memories and a council-owned football ground.

And it seems not even they are enough.

Those faded memories were there a week before the grand final when Manly’s 1978 premiership team had their 40-year reunion at Manly Leagues Club.

These men were behind one of the greatest performances in rugby league history.

Busted and beaten, they played five games in 22 days, including two midweek replays, to claim the premiership.

Not one current Manly official bothered to wake from their sleepwalk and turn up.

ad1d9369673aeeff090f26a061fe5be4

Manly fans are doing it tough. (Mark Evans)
The apathy up top runs through the club. Penn doesn’t strike anyone as a football guy, and the lack of care filters through to fans who have stopped attending.

There was a time when Manly fans, almost proudly, refused to travel over the Spit Bridge. Now they struggle to get as far as Brookvale. Four out of every 10 fans at the game five years ago now no longer go.

Wherever they look the Sea Eagles are on a slow death march.

Since Toovey left Manly has suffered the worst fate of all for a professional sporting team. They have become boring.

“Guess What? Manly hates you too!” the sign on the Brookie hill says.

With options running out, Toovey looks the club’s best bet. (Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)
The club is operating $330,000 under the salary cap after it got busted cheating the cap.

Toovey would change the apathy.

He brings passion.

He is combative and pugnacious and forces you to care, one way or another.

If you don’t like him well, guess what, he doesn’t like you too.

That is what Manly needs more than anything.
That's a good article, even though it's Kent

Am I reading too much into this by thinking we are getting the band back together, Hasler and Tooves ??

I mentioned on here a while back that Des's feud was not so much with the Penns BUT i was shut down by supposed people in the know??? Obviously there was some disagreements but it was not the Penns that made Des leave. Hope this rumour is finally true and we can add Ballin as well. Membership and culture will boom!

If you were reading between the lines the past week or so, Des was always the most likely option. Lyall has said we would be happy with the appointment and I think most will be. Whilst the Penns needed to put their grievances aside, Gorman should take plenty of credit for this - he knows Manly needs Manly back.

Why would you want Des as assistant coach if you don't rate him?
And do you realise that Des took the Dogs to 2 grand finals aye? How is that doing nothing?
Because he didn't win one and then left the dogs as bottom feeders for years, he did nothing but leave that place worse than when he got there. I dont not rate him, i'd like him there in some capacity for the manly blood he has and I believe he's the best coach that has ever coached the club but evidence is clear and im allowed to worry about what he'll leave our club as AGAIN

I reckon it was Taylor himself. I reckon he felt bad about not being mentioned so secretly disguised his voice and rang the tele to leak the news and then rang the Tele as himself and denied it so he was included in it all to get himself in the picture. Um JT , you were never included so go back to your dream machine and pretend a bit more lol

Because he didn't win one and then left the dogs as bottom feeders for years, he did nothing but leave that place worse than when he got there. I dont not rate him, i'd like him there in some capacity for the manly blood he has and I believe he's the best coach that has ever coached the club but evidence is clear and im allowed to worry about what he'll leave our club as AGAIN
Five grand finals and two premierships in 13 seasons... and you don’t rate him. You need to step off the Silly bus friend.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8