It was Des all along coaching thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Who do you think will be coaching us next year?

• Total voters
I want a coach who can instil some belief and commitment in our players. Too many matches last season we gave up.
I place more importance on a getting the players' head space right over getting the 'game plan' right.
Give me a team that competes to their ability every match and I'll be happy.
Cartwrong was there in 2018 and wasn't able to get the most from our players. It's not logical to think that he'll be able to do it next season.
However, a bloke like Tooves may be able to reinstall the belief and Manly mongrel in our players. They have the ability, but not the mental strength nor the commitment to defend in tough situations.
Of course, there are a core of players who I leave out of this criticism, but we need all 30 rostered players to be Manly by name and by nature.

Ok how about this:
Peter Sharp- coaching director
Barrett - coach first six months
Cartwong - assistant six months, coach rest of year.

Wow ive done it. Ive made our situation worse!

It may be a bit optimistic but I think the Penn's may finally realise Cartwong is not the way forward and we may still get a real coach, maybe even a surprise one.

Surely he can do the bottom line math between more failure and success. Tooves would do it in a heartbeat and the financial turnaround would be staggering.

It may be a bit optimistic but I think the Penn's may finally realise Cartwong is not the way forward and we may still get a real coach, maybe even a surprise one.

Surely he can do the bottom line math between more failure and success. Tooves would do it in a heartbeat and the financial turnaround would be staggering.
Yep. If the club announced that Tooves was to play a big part in the club in 2019 I'm sure the club would benefit financially from a wave of Memberships.

My argument against Madge or any substantial coach coming to Manly ...

Madge would be asking about $700k upwards ...
Madge would likely demand the appointment of his own assistant coaches and staff.
Madge would demand a top recruitment manger and salary cap manager same as Baz ..

To facilitate Madge coming Penns would be looking at paying out Barrett for 3/4 of a year (say $400k), and possibly paying out Cartwright and Mangey for 2 years each (say $700k) .... plus employ 4 additional football club staff (say $500k) .....

or, keep Cartwright on a shoe string ... business as usual ...

PSS Mage has also seen how Penn's relationship with the past 3 coaches has ended in acrimony, legal stouches and media driven character assassinations ..ou can bet your sweet bibby that his contract would reflect the strong likihood that he will at some time receive the same treatment ...

Told all you numb-nuts 3 weeks ago that Madge was a dream not happening ...... can't believe Penn's head is so far up his own clacka he didn't know it ....

Having lived on the GC through cartys coaching i can say with confidence he is devoid of ideas for offense and attacking structure. He was also very happy to accept mediocrity as he was a protected species at titans while Seale was there.

I respect what you, Ryan and Mark of Brisbane are saying. I am operating from the likely scenario that all other options are either not available, not wanting to coach Manly at this stage or are on the nose with the Penn family. The cupboard seems bare unless a surprise emerges from the ashes. I am speaking from the point of view that Cartwright is coach. I am not suggesting he is the messiah or even a naughty little boy. He is probably average as far as coaching is concerned. If we had Hasler, Toovey or Madge I would probably be saying we are a final four chance. With Cartwright you have someone who has taken the Titans to near the top for two years with the right cattle. Manly has some fine cattle. I think he can at least get us a final 8 spot...probably no further. We may have to cope with mediocrity until some of the disasters of this club start to subside and it becomes a worth while place to play and coach again. And I actually suspect the Penn family is waiting for a big financial offer to move on, hoping to recover the fortune they have outlaid with this club.

Told all you numb-nuts 3 weeks ago that Madge was a dream not happening ...... can't believe Penn's head is so far up his own clacka he didn't know it ....

I know they were ( and maybe still are) negotiating with Cleary but he looks Panthers bound, so I’d say when that went cold they moved to Maguire.

Funny but Maguire could be the one that misses out ( Bennett to Tigers and Walters to Broncos ).

It’s a merry go round that’s for sure.

I respect what you, Ryan and Mark of Brisbane are saying. I am operating from the likely scenario that all other options are either not available, not wanting to coach Manly at this stage or are on the nose with the Penn family. The cupboard seems bare unless a surprise emerges from the ashes. I am speaking from the point of view that Cartwright is coach. I am not suggesting he is the messiah or even a naughty little boy. He is probably average as far as coaching is concerned. If we had Hasler, Toovey or Madge I would probably be saying we are a final four chance. With Cartwright you have someone who has taken the Titans to near the top for two years with the right cattle. Manly has some fine cattle. I think he can at least get us a final 8 spot...probably no further. We may have to cope with mediocrity until some of the disasters of this club start to subside and it becomes a worth while place to play and coach again. And I actually suspect the Penn family is waiting for a big financial offer to move on, hoping to recover the fortune they have outlaid with this club.

You may well be right mate, jeez I hope not but it maybe the only option left on the table.

I know they were ( and maybe still are) negotiating with Cleary but he looks Panthers bound, so I’d say when that went cold they moved to Maguire.

Funny but Maguire could be the one that misses out ( Bennett to Tigers and Walters to Broncos ).

It’s a merry go round that’s for sure.

For me the outcome will be based on one fact only ....... if the Penn's want a well credentialed coach they will need to outlay upto $800k for the coach and payout about another $700k in casualties ..... or promote Carty for fish and chip money ... what will they do ?

Didn't they previously have a partner(s) but killed them all of to have the 1 owner model ?
That previous partner was a public listed company whose share price has gone from around $1 to around 2 cents, I don't think their shareholders were happy with the Managing Director pouring millions into his hobby team, he has now gone , probably forced retirement,since the outright sale to the Penns.
The Penns would have picked up half the company rather cheap, but then again Quantum would have picked up Max Delmege's shares quite cheaply as well

For me the outcome will be based on one fact only ....... if the Penn's want a well credentialed coach they will need to outlay upto $800k for the coach and payout about another $700k in casualties ..... or promote Carty for fish and chip money ... what will they do ?
I think it's obvious what they're going to do.

In a nutshell!!!

Still dont think its Cartwright .

They’d be very aware of the feelings of the fans from reading Silvertails.

Their issue is if they go the cheap option they save money up front BUT they then cop it in memberships and attendances.

Not hard to rack up a million short on these.

If this is the choice it will be clear that despite the rhetoric they really don’t give a **** after all.

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10
10 5 5 -56 10