Gutherson on the cheap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hopefully that's exactly what happens -as others have mentioned, most if not all of the other clubs would be fairly close to their cap limit and not willing/able to pick up the full tab for any player Parramatta release.

The problem Parramatta have is that they are legally obligated to keep paying the full amount to a contracted player unless/until they can negotiate a release - no player/manager is going to absolve Parramatta of their contractual obligation if it means losing money...so they may well be forced into a situation where the new club pays only part of the player's salary and they have to keep paying the rest. There are players all over the comp being paid by multiple clubs for exactly this reason...hopefully, in practice it means that Parramatta have to shed a lot more players than just the one or two their fans seem to think. It may not be a matter of just dumping one player on, say, $500K - it may be a matter of offloading half of this guy's salary, half of that guy's, $100K of someone else's.

And, don't forget they still have to have a 'Top 25' squad contracted, and there's a minimum wage. So offloading $500K-$600K isn't that straightforward, for every player you offload you move at least $85K back ONTO your books as well.

This, other clubs have Parra over the barrel and they know it

Only thing that would stuff it is a desperate club like Newcastle being overly eager

I would only sign him to play centres or wing. 5/8 is not an option he will turn into another walker. We need to be buying Norman from parra he is priority signing!

Yes he scored a good try last week but his kick returns are pretty weak and he gets rag dolled often out of marker. He's not the biggest to be honest and teams kick to him 95% of the time for a reason ( OK Radradra is part of the reason too ). Look he's not terrible but......
After a game or two in the English Slurperleague, he would probably be a superstar.;)

Did we off load him in the first place? And did he also want to play fullback in first grade anyway which we could not guarantee because of Snake and Tom...??

He was actually our 4th in line for FB as he had (at the time) Snake, Peta Hiku and Tom in front of him. I'm not 100% sure but I am pretty sure Gutho asked for a release because he wanted to play fullback and Barrett couldn't even guarantee him a permanent place in first grade.

Which is why I find his signing with the Speels as strange as they had already signed Michael Gordon to play fullback which has seen Gutho playing on the wing. And apparently they have an U/20's fullback who they think is a gun and will be their long term FB. So where does that leave Gutho? Fair enough playing wing in the NRL is better than fullback or wing in NSW Cup and only being used as an injury replacement. But if he wants to be a career #1, why sign with a club who had already signed an established FB and apparently have one waiting in the wings?

He was actually our 4th in line for FB as he had (at the time) Snake, Peta Hiku and Tom in front of him. I'm not 100% sure but I am pretty sure Gutho asked for a release because he wanted to play fullback and Barrett couldn't even guarantee him a permanent place in first grade.

Which is why I find his signing with the Speels as strange as they had already signed Michael Gordon to play fullback which has seen Gutho playing on the wing. And apparently they have an U/20's fullback who they think is a gun and will be their long term FB. So where does that leave Gutho?

Thanks @HoldenV8, very interesting....so who knows what the real reason was for him going to the speels. Another brown paper bag perhaps?

Back at Brookvale where he belongs.

Irrespective of whether he wanted a release or not, we should be going all out to retain our juniors, especially the more capable and marketable ones.

Anyone who saw his try on Friday night was reminded of what he is capable of.

I would only sign him to play centres or wing. 5/8 is not an option he will turn into another walker. We need to be buying Norman from parra he is priority signing!
U ever hear of fullback .You know the position he prefers,the position we need covered.

I secretly hope Gordon leaves Parra (or to a lesser extent stay on the sidelines) so Gutho can cement the fullback spot, take the goal kicking and become a legend.

I secretly hope Gordon leaves Parra (or to a lesser extent stay on the sidelines) so Gutho can cement the fullback spot, take the goal kicking and become a legend.

Thats the ultimate plan B, Plan A is getting him back to Manly. He actually does know how to play in the halves and any where in the backline, he's a footballer and starred his entire junior career accordingly. As people know he's determined to get that fullback position and at any club, but it would be great to have him back. He's a better utility- although less experienced than Hiku was for us and he has higher ceiling than peta in terms of improvement. Not to say Peta is not a great player, he's an international!
If we accepted Darcy so easily back into the fold, I'm sure Gutho would be a more satisfying return :)
He could snap up a Centre or Wing spot then be a better deputising fullback than Hiku, Robbo and any other previous back up?:think:

I am amazed that people would think he would come back so easily. He is a local kid, signs a new contract and then is shipped off to another club (and the first i heard of him wanting a release was a post a couple of days ago)

Yes he had to agree to go but why would he so easily come back to a club that decided other players were ahead of him? We seem to forget loyalty is a two way street

I am amazed that people would think he would come back so easily. He is a local kid, signs a new contract and then is shipped off to another club (and the first i heard of him wanting a release was a post a couple of days ago)

Yes he had to agree to go but why would he so easily come back to a club that decided other players were ahead of him? We seem to forget loyalty is a two way street
Very true, but with potentially more salary cap wriggle room for this season (as a result of Moltzen's unfortunate retirement) and the Antifaecaldoesn'tmatta imbroglio still playing out, who knows?

• 🤝
Reactions: R3

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4