1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gutherson on the cheap

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Disco, May 3, 2016.

1. Disco

Disco Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,233 / 37
    I mentioned this in another thread but the more I think of it the more i like it

Parra need to shed players and fast.

Lets try to pick up Gutherson with parra footing some of the bill

He hugely improves our depth (walking into the team atm) and slots straight into the backline next year with Tom or him playing centre and the other on the wing

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    Takarangi and Gutho :nod:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Killer03

Killer03 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,698 / 27
    I'd have him in a heartbeat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. tookey

tookey Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +4,252 / 131
    Surely parra will try and offload hasson first?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. The Indian

The Indian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 9
    Ignoring the fact he may have some bad blood given the way we let him go or encouraged him to go. I haven't seen too much to say we'd even want him back. He's a capable player but I've never seen what all the fuss was about with him, decent maybe...potential superstar ??? doubtful. He plays a position where we have great cover... not for mine

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Blue pill

Blue pill Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 49
    Gutherson asked manly for a release not the other way around

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Troll Troll x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,838 / 103
    Give him a chance. This is his first full season in the top grade. He played 5/8 in the juniors, and while he moved to fullback in our Under 20s he is a competent utility player that is certain to improve. He also is a reasonable goal kicker. And, of course, he is a local. So, obviously, I would welcome him back. . . . He may also be able to spread some of that Parramatta winning culture to our boys!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Pittwater Legend

Pittwater Legend Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +780 / 28
    Read my mind Disco. As soon as I heard that Parra have to shed players, my first thought was to get Gutho back.

He'd love to be playing alongside the Turbo's again but would Parra give him up over others? I reckon they'll try to keep Foran and Gutherson while offloading other players.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
  9. Disco

Disco Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,233 / 37
    Great cover?

Our backline depth is shocking though Wright is an improvement

We are playing Williame ffs

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. The Indian

The Indian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 9

I mean his best position is fullback - and we have that overly covered. As a winger he's more limited. Would he be happy to be utility back or back up winger ??? I doubt it.

Yes he scored a good try last week but his kick returns are pretty weak and he gets rag dolled often out of marker. He's not the biggest to be honest and teams kick to him 95% of the time for a reason ( OK Radradra is part of the reason too ). Look he's not terrible but......

11. Eagles2nv

Eagles2nv New Team, New Beginnings 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,404 / 35
    Given our backline injuries gutho wpuld be a decent cover signing for 2016.

Id be hapy to give him another chance and he is also a decent back up goal kicker.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. globaleagle

globaleagle Où est mon chapeau Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +7,788 / 58
    I guess at the moment...he really could come back here and play fullback!

(or has snake recovered?)

well...that was the joke I was trying to do anyway.

:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mataiforerver

Mataiforerver Active Member

Ratings:
    +159 / 16
    I would take gutho but i think if we're eyeing to snare some of the eels players it should be a couple of their big men. Kenny Edwards would surely want more first team action and a pay rise. Tepai moeroa would be worth a shot at too.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. Mataiforerver

Mataiforerver Active Member

Ratings:
    +159 / 16
    Also how has John Folau done? I remember seeing him carve up last year, haven't head as much about him lately. But yeah gutho would be a good option for wing/centre if he can goal kick.

15. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,763 / 72
    James Hasson is getting mentioned as being available

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Stiffi

Stiffi Active Member 2016 Tipping Competitor 2015 Tipping Competitor

Why would Parra foot some of his bill, doesn't help them with their salary cap issues. They would just have to
    shed more players

17. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    BRING BACK THE HASS!!!

18. Eagleheart

Eagleheart Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Sydney
    Ratings:
    +1,264 / 40
    Did we off load him in the first place? And did he also want to play fullback in first grade anyway which we could not guarantee because of Snake and Tom...??

19. Ron E. Gibbs

Ron E. Gibbs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,437 / 12
    Wait, aren't we already paying some of his Eels' wages? I guess if we're going to pay him anything we may as well pay him to play for us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. yokahontas

yokahontas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,138 / 13
    Hopefully that's exactly what happens -as others have mentioned, most if not all of the other clubs would be fairly close to their cap limit and not willing/able to pick up the full tab for any player Parramatta release.

The problem Parramatta have is that they are legally obligated to keep paying the full amount to a contracted player unless/until they can negotiate a release - no player/manager is going to absolve Parramatta of their contractual obligation if it means losing money...so they may well be forced into a situation where the new club pays only part of the player's salary and they have to keep paying the rest. There are players all over the comp being paid by multiple clubs for exactly this reason...hopefully, in practice it means that Parramatta have to shed a lot more players than just the one or two their fans seem to think. It may not be a matter of just dumping one player on, say, $500K - it may be a matter of offloading half of this guy's salary, half of that guy's, $100K of someone else's.

And, don't forget they still have to have a 'Top 25' squad contracted, and there's a minimum wage. So offloading $500K-$600K isn't that straightforward, for every player you offload you move at least $85K back ONTO your books as well.

• Agree Agree x 2