Gutherson on the cheap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
I mentioned this in another thread but the more I think of it the more i like it

Parra need to shed players and fast.

Lets try to pick up Gutherson with parra footing some of the bill

He hugely improves our depth (walking into the team atm) and slots straight into the backline next year with Tom or him playing centre and the other on the wing

Ignoring the fact he may have some bad blood given the way we let him go or encouraged him to go. I haven't seen too much to say we'd even want him back. He's a capable player but I've never seen what all the fuss was about with him, decent maybe...potential superstar ??? doubtful. He plays a position where we have great cover... not for mine

Ignoring the fact he may have some bad blood given the way we let him go or encouraged him to go. I haven't seen too much to say we'd even want him back. He's a capable player but I've never seen what all the fuss was about with him, decent maybe...potential superstar ??? doubtful. He plays a position where we have great cover... not for mine
Give him a chance. This is his first full season in the top grade. He played 5/8 in the juniors, and while he moved to fullback in our Under 20s he is a competent utility player that is certain to improve. He also is a reasonable goal kicker. And, of course, he is a local. So, obviously, I would welcome him back. . . . He may also be able to spread some of that Parramatta winning culture to our boys!

I mentioned this in another thread but the more I think of it the more i like it

Parra need to shed players and fast.

Lets try to pick up Gutherson with parra footing some of the bill

He hugely improves our depth (walking into the team atm) and slots straight into the backline next year with Tom or him playing centre and the other on the wing

Read my mind Disco. As soon as I heard that Parra have to shed players, my first thought was to get Gutho back.

He'd love to be playing alongside the Turbo's again but would Parra give him up over others? I reckon they'll try to keep Foran and Gutherson while offloading other players.

Last edited:
Great cover?

Our backline depth is shocking though Wright is an improvement

We are playing Williame ffs

Great cover?

Our backline depth is shocking though Wright is an improvement

We are playing Williame ffs

I mean his best position is fullback - and we have that overly covered. As a winger he's more limited. Would he be happy to be utility back or back up winger ??? I doubt it.

Yes he scored a good try last week but his kick returns are pretty weak and he gets rag dolled often out of marker. He's not the biggest to be honest and teams kick to him 95% of the time for a reason ( OK Radradra is part of the reason too ). Look he's not terrible but......

Given our backline injuries gutho wpuld be a decent cover signing for 2016.

Id be hapy to give him another chance and he is also a decent back up goal kicker.

I guess at the moment...he really could come back here and play fullback!

(or has snake recovered?)

well...that was the joke I was trying to do anyway.

:)

I would take gutho but i think if we're eyeing to snare some of the eels players it should be a couple of their big men. Kenny Edwards would surely want more first team action and a pay rise. Tepai moeroa would be worth a shot at too.

Also how has John Folau done? I remember seeing him carve up last year, haven't head as much about him lately. But yeah gutho would be a good option for wing/centre if he can goal kick.

Why would Parra foot some of his bill, doesn't help them with their salary cap issues. They would just have to
shed more players

Did we off load him in the first place? And did he also want to play fullback in first grade anyway which we could not guarantee because of Snake and Tom...??

Why would Parra foot some of his bill, doesn't help them with their salary cap issues. They would just have to
shed more players

Hopefully that's exactly what happens -as others have mentioned, most if not all of the other clubs would be fairly close to their cap limit and not willing/able to pick up the full tab for any player Parramatta release.

The problem Parramatta have is that they are legally obligated to keep paying the full amount to a contracted player unless/until they can negotiate a release - no player/manager is going to absolve Parramatta of their contractual obligation if it means losing money...so they may well be forced into a situation where the new club pays only part of the player's salary and they have to keep paying the rest. There are players all over the comp being paid by multiple clubs for exactly this reason...hopefully, in practice it means that Parramatta have to shed a lot more players than just the one or two their fans seem to think. It may not be a matter of just dumping one player on, say, $500K - it may be a matter of offloading half of this guy's salary, half of that guy's, $100K of someone else's.

And, don't forget they still have to have a 'Top 25' squad contracted, and there's a minimum wage. So offloading $500K-$600K isn't that straightforward, for every player you offload you move at least $85K back ONTO your books as well.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6