Go Matildas' .. World Cup Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Can only be a semi final i believe

What a great tournament. I feel a combination of sick and terrified about the game tonight.

I am not sure how many Australian football matches I have watched across mens, womens and younger age groups but this is the first time since the golden generation tore up some of the FIFA junior world cups we have had such a legitimate chance to make a statement in a tournament (Asian cup aside)
It’s been great watching and I’m not even a soccer fan !!

They’ve done pretty well , without their superstar ( who I doubt will play tonight unless they are 2-1 down with 20 minutes to go).

The NRL Physio guy on Twitter said her injury was a 6 week recovery , so assuming she did it in the weeks leading I to the competition he thought she wouldn’t play unless we made the Final.

But I guess they’ll risk her if we are going to lose anyway.

It’s been great watching and I’m not even a soccer fan !!

They’ve done pretty well , without their superstar ( who I doubt will play tonight unless they are 2-1 down with 20 minutes to go).

The NRL Physio guy on Twitter said her injury was a 6 week recovery , so assuming she did it in the weeks leading I to the competition he thought she wouldn’t play unless we made the Final.

But I guess they’ll risk her if we are going to lose anyway.

We are also been without another star in the injured Simon .. hope she gets some minutes tonight.

Fowler is something else as well - who knows how good she could be

No doubt she has great moments .. and sublime skills .. just wish she had more mongrel about her in contesting for the ball ...

That said she is a keeper

No doubt she has great moments .. and sublime skills .. just wish she had more mongrel about her in contesting for the ball ...

That said she is a keeper
Reminds me so much of Thiery Henry the way she ghosts into positions etc

OK I'm officially a convert. Go Matildas!
And I always thought it was a great and unique name for the team, but even more so after seeing this!

Matilda meaning
Mighty in battle

Meaning:Mighty in battle. Matilda is the Anglicized form of the Germanic feminine title Mahthildis and means “mighty in battle.” A name fit for a warrior, Matilda comes across as sweet and innocent, but its meaning tells a warning tale.

Holy Poop on a stick...!

Sweden knock out 3 time winners 'merica!

This is such a wide open tournament now that if Sam comes back firing on all cylinders (and doesn't do a tom T) they are in with a super chance!

Still very good sides left, obv, but some crackers have returned home.
Just watched the highlights of the Swe v USA. Wow, that Swedish goal keeper Musovic will never have to pay for a drink in her homeland ever again. No matter what happens moving into the semis.
Incredible reflexes.

Went to the game last night! Amazing atmosphere!
The roar of the crowd after both goals, and then again when Kerr took the field was like nothing else.
Also hearing 75K people belt the national anthem was pretty special.
It's not hard to see why the Matilda's are one of Australia's favourite national teams!
Bring on the Quarter Finals!!!!

5th ranked France 'should' beat 72nd ranked Morocco - but...anything can happen!

then it'd be Aust v France!

Last night was both terrifying and exhilarating

I watched the game with the whole family...and I am punishing to watch with. Afterwards I could not sleep and was up till around 1

For the record I still wonder at some of the coaching decisions which I hope do not come back to haunt us but there are some special special players in that team. We lack a bit of quality especially in the middle of the park but who knows from here

Oh and my 8 year old daughter who broke my heart this year by choosing dancing over football has said she now wants a Sam Kerr jersey (or Mary Fowler) for her birthday. I asked her if she wanted to play and she said not but loves watching them

At least we got to the same point in our football careers but she did it without thrashing her body chasing a dream!

Oh and my 8 year old daughter who broke my heart this year by choosing dancing over football has said she now wants a Sam Kerr jersey (or Mary Fowler) for her birthday. I asked her if she wanted to play and she said not but loves watching them

At least we got to the same point in our football careers but she did it without thrashing her body chasing a dream!
Lol, I think the whole thing is brilliant. I know in Australia we've got a great tradition of athletes, male and female, in swimming, Olympics, tennis etc etc etc, but ... 75000 filling a stadium in Sydney to watch women play football? In my experience this is totally new, and just great to see.

oh boy oh boy oh boy......

France def Morocco and now Australia wait and the game should be an absolute cracker!

(though I thought that about Aust v Can but Canada had a terrible game as Aust had a good one.)

tha GIF

Australia recently beat France 1-0 at a friendly just before the WC started.
I know the stakes are higher in a WC Quarter Final, but our girls have proven they can beat them.
Kerr should be back in the starting squad, and along with Fowler & Raso, the girls should be able to get this done.

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10
10 5 5 -56 10