Glenn Stewart return

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The few minutes he might get in the Riff game: sounds like it will tire him out.
These will be the final minutes of his time with Manly at Fortress Brookvale, he deserves better, its just the way things work out sometimes.
There's no possible way he could be fully match fit, ready to fire in Semi Final football. It took him 6-7 matches last time, and he 'aint gettin any younger'.

But hope he's on the pitch at the full time siren, heaps of people will run onto the ground, kids especially, for their last chance to say goodbye to a true Manly hero, legend.
He may surprise everyone at Souffs, more time to heal, and absolutely knock em dead. Hope so.

The Eagle Has Landed said:
mickqld said:
If he gets picked to play it means he's fit enough to play. He will come back in the number 13 and start.

As fit as what he was when he cameback last year?

And we had the same arguement last year. You don't get match fitness coming off the bench. Sure it took him a few to get going but he got there.

Top End Eagle said:
He has been a very good player for our club but anyone who thinks he should be here next year is delusional. Busted all last year, most of 2012, and this year as well. Forced everyone sideways last year trying to come back early. Hope he is fit and killing it in his return. The indecision he creates allows him to gain metres like he was six inches and twenty kilos heavier. Hope we send him out a winner.

Jamie Lyon really misses Glenn taking him right to and through the line. No one else has been doing it and killer hasn't been making the breaks he once did.

Stevo said:
mickqld said:
Jamie Lyon really misses Glenn taking him right to and through the line. No one else has been doing it and killer hasn't been making the breaks he once did.

Totally agree. T Red isn't the player to do that. Ferris has a long way to go to do that . We have been missing that link to a deadly right side attack. It may well be the difference between a premiership and not.

mickqld said:
Stevo said:
mickqld said:

Totally agree. T Red isn't the player to do that. Ferris has a long way to go to do that . We have been missing that link to a deadly right side attack. It may well be the difference between a premiership and not.

Obviously just different players, T red is good at hitting the hole where as gift will take the line on draw them in and then open up the space for killer. It will be interesting to see how roves structures our right side when gift heads south of the bridge. I'd assume it would just stay the same as it has this year ! Drawn out post, but you're spot on !

Play him 80 mins v Panthers & Cowboys then reassess.

We do have good backup but I'd still prefer Gifty at 50% over any of our back rowers besides choc.

It has been some weeks since gift last played? A champion who can come off the bench n win the game. I am thinking it's just to late in the year for him to be an 80 Min player.

Gifty knocked himself out in the first tackle of the GF last year and was not sighted after that :cool:

So looking to him, or in fact any single Player, to guarantee another Premiership is unfair and unrealistic.

Hopefully he gets to run around Brookie in Round 25, but he does not need to burden himself with the added pressure of our expectation :angel:

The LHS and RHS ebb and flow at Manly, and this year Foz has been the dominant caller. I don't think that Ferris is an issue in Killer not getting the ball. More so that the Opposition mark up on Killer more.

Last week switching Ferris to the LHS stalled what has been working all year.
However, if Gifty is coming back, then Ferris would be moved to the LHS, so I can see why 2v tried it out. I thought that Horo being the nominated bench Player, instead of Ferris worked great :cool:

Cliffy said:
It has been some weeks since gift last played? A champion who can come off the bench n win the game. I am thinking it's just to late in the year for him to be an 80 Min player.

"Some Weeks" is actually 17 weeks. He incurred the injury in round 8 and may return for round 25. The injury has prevented him from running so that means 4 months of not running.

There is absolutely no chance of him being match fit before the end of the season. This is purely an emotional discussion because the facts are indisputable.

If you asked Don Singe he would tell you there are plenty of ways to keep fit without running.

I hope at least that Gifty gets 10 minutes at the end of the last home game so the crowd can give him a great send off .

That means playing with 16 for 70 mins, so it might depend on results this weekend, South lose we win maybe!!

I bet you he's been swimming his ring out. And more than likely still doing weights with stabillity and core work. In which case he will be very fit and only need to get some running and impact back in his legs.

give him a run. No harm. See how he goes. Worst case scenario you just leave him on the bench instead of Hasson. Hasson only played 10 minutes anyway. May as well have a quality 10-15 minutes from Gifty and a proper goodbye can be given.

Stevo said:
I bet you he's been swimming his ring out. And more than likely still doing weights with stabillity and core work. In which case he will be very fit and only need to get some running and impact back in his legs.

I would like to believe that. I would like to believe that Donny has him fit as a fiddle, but let's face it, if he was able to do that he would have done that last season and come back fit from the get go.

More than anything in the world I would like to have a fit and firing Gift and for him to leave with a Premiership ring. The problem is I don't believe in fairytales. :(

Ralphie said:
More than anything in the world I would like to have a fit and firing Gift and for him to leave with a Premiership ring. The problem is I don't believe in fairytales. :(

What about the tortoise and the rabbit? It goes like this: The rabbit goes out fast, declares before the race that the title is his. The punters believe him, as does the media. He looks sharp. Burns around the track and into the straight then sees the bright lights and... freezes.
Behind him comes the tortoise, much maligned, he's been the subject of malicious gossip, he's too old, too slow, his family is breaking up. He's been under the radar and punters and media have forgotten that he never gives up and has been successful over the past decade. They hate him because they have lost so much money betting against him.
The tortoise triumphs but the rabbit declares: next year I'll win, and I'll eat all my chicken wings in the off season to supplement my natural speed and strength. The bookies make the rabbit favourite for next year's race . . .
It's really quite a repetitious fairytale, and for the Rabbit quite a GRIMM one.

He wasn't that unfit last year. He was a step slower and it only took him 2-3 games to catch up.

A slower ball playing Glenn Stewart giving more room to Jamie Lyon is still better than a Horo or Symonds trying to hit holes in my opinion.

Stevo said:
He wasn't that unfit last year. He was a step slower and it only took him 2-3 games to catch up.

A slower ball playing Glenn Stewart giving more room to Jamie Lyon is still better than a Horo or Symonds trying to hit holes in my opinion.

In a newspaper article today Tooves said "Watmough was still struggling with his match fitness after coming back from a four-game suspension incurred during State of Origin."

So, Choc has been struggling with match fitness after his 4 weeks off suspended during SOO even though he was able to train at full power during that period.

I say again, it isn't possible for Gifty to get match fit this season having not been able to run for over 4 months. It saddens me greatly, but it is what it is.

With 10 interchanges per match, surely it's not hard to replace players needing a rest. Neither Choc or Gift need to play the full 80 minutes. Our bench has four forwards. Give them all 20-25 minute opportunities rather than the 8-10 minutes bench players such as Hasson and Andrews have been given.
Our bench players must surely be fit enough to sustain performance for a decent run; none of them are built like George Rose.

Ralphie said:
Stevo said:

In a newspaper article today Tooves said "Watmough was still struggling with his match fitness after coming back from a four-game suspension incurred during State of Origin."

So, Choc has been struggling with match fitness after his 4 weeks off suspended during SOO even though he was able to train at full power during that period.

I say again, it isn't possible for Gifty to get match fit this season having not been able to run for over 4 months. It saddens me greatly, but it is what it is.

No it's not what it is, it's your opinion.

Can't wait to see you eat your words Ralph cause it will mean Glenn Stewart at his finest.

The Who said:
With 10 interchanges per match, surely it's not hard to replace players needing a rest. Neither Choc or Gift need to play the full 80 minutes. Our bench has four forwards. Give them all 20-25 minute opportunities rather than the 8-10 minutes bench players such as Hasson and Andrews have been given.
Our bench players must surely be fit enough to sustain performance for a decent run; none of them are built like George Rose.

They forced him into match fitness last year, time will tell if that's how they do it this year or not. Either they will be confident about his fitness and start him or they will just be doing the right thing by him by slotting him onto the bench. Either way Tooves is not one to gamble.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8