Glenn Stewart return

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
Premium Member
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
With no return in sight, I was wondering how late people would consider to be too late for the return of Gifty?
Given that he has been taking a ridiculously long time to find form in recent years, I'm not sure that if he doesn't make it back in the next two or three weeks, whether we will see him in Manly colours again at all.
Is he still an instant inclusion?
What do people think?

I suppose it will depend on his fitness levels. If he hasn't been able to run much in the last 3 months then he might be long odds given there is only 10 weeks or so left to go.

If he is fit then he deserves his spot. That was proved last year when people were writing him off after injury.

Rumoured was he wont play again in 2014, and Bunnies officials were very nervous. Since then I am sure Toovey said he was 2-3 weeks away.

The sooner we get him back on the paddock the better for our shot at the title. A fit and firing Glenn Stewart could just about sow this title up for us.

I suspect there will be no announcement, he will be a late inclusion at some stage.

I think he needs to be playing by around Rd 21/22 or it's too late. This is a massive shame as a Gift of 2011 in the team (and everyone else playing the way they are) and I believe we win the comp this year. His combination with Killer would mean both edges are running at 100%.....imagine playing against that??

But last year when he came back he was a shadow of his great days for the first 6 or so weeks. Then he started to show his class.

We usually have 1 player on the bench who plays only 5-10mins. Surely a half fit gift is entitled tp a spot in the 17.

If Tooves asks for my advice I would tell him tp start gift as soon as he is right to play and give him at least 65mins per game. If he's not fully match fit by finals, still start him but male sure the others get significant minutes as it will be too late to build fitness by then.

It's not only because of his ability that it would be great to have him on the field but also the huge 'let's win this one for Gifty' factor.

Killer03 said:
I think he needs to be playing by around Rd 21/22 or it's too late. This is a massive shame as a Gift of 2011 in the team (and everyone else playing the way they are) and I believe we win the comp this year. His combination with Killer would mean both edges are running at 100%.....imagine playing against that??

But last year when he came back he was a shadow of his great days for the first 6 or so weeks. Then he started to show his class.
I very much agree with Killer. In fact, i'm going to go just a little further and say, if he cannot make the field in either this round or next, : I Do not want to see him on the field for Manly again, other than just a few minutes, for old time's sake.
But I do not want to remember him that way. I prefer to keep the memory of the 2011 GF Churchill medalist intact and not be corrupted by the sight of a slow shadow, who runs sideways.

yeh, time is of the essence... use him off the bench in the finals. Give him a chance to smash some wabbits before he becomes one :(

From MWSE, which seems to have been very recently updated.

Injury Update
As the team prepares to head across the ditch to New Zealand, here’s a look at the injury report throughout the squad.

Steve Matai
Suffered a heavy knock to his right knee during a try saving effort last night. He left the field to be assessed but returned in the second half, as it was deemed there was no structural damage. He is expected to recover in time to play this week.

James Hasson
Expected to return this week following a week on the sidelines to rest his head after a few heavy knocks in recent weeks.

Dunamis Lui
Injured his left knee in round 19 against the Dragons and will go for scans. The club will assess his injury after they get the results back.

Glenn Stewart
Recovery is continuing as planned with the lock-forward steadily increasing his training and rehab. He is retrun to the top-grade is expected in the coming weeks.

Gift is well respected and liked by all his team mates and he will lift the team simply by playing with them . He might take a few games to get the rhythm of his attack going but his hard hitting defence will be there

Don't know how good his rehab motivation will be when he was essentially shown the door.

If history's anything to go by his returns from extended layoffs are less than spectacular.

COMMANDER said:
Don't know how good his rehab motivation will be when he was essentially shown the door.

If history's anything to go by his returns from extended layoffs are less than spectacular.
He will be motivated playing along side his brother and his team mates playing towards another Grand final win. If history's anything to go by with his return we will win another comp

I had to stifle a chuckle when I read that Hasson was rested because he was suffering the effects of concussion. Why then did the club use him as a spokesperson for media interviews leading up to the match with George Illawarra? Who was not thinking straight?

I'm sure if he does play, he'll slip Brett a few secret backyard brother set-up plays, from which Brett will probably score, but that alone would be good to see, esp if its in the finals, but sounds a little bit like 'wishful thinking'.

G'day all,Iknow i'm in the minority but I don't think we have lost anything in his absence as JB has been consistently one of our best week in week out,and Tommy S has looked good on the right edge too.
cheers mike

mike walker said:
G'day all,Iknow i'm in the minority but I don't think we have lost anything in his absence as JB has been consistently one of our best week in week out,and Tommy S has looked good on the right edge too.
cheers mike
He's only the best ball playing backrower in the game when fit. So no, we haven't lost much.

the mauler said:
mike walker said:
cheers mike
He's only the best ball playing backrower in the game when fit. So no, we haven't lost much.
G'day all,He might of been the best a few years ago but he has been along way off that player for some time now.
cheers mike

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4