Extraordinary General Meeting of MWDRLFC

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
exactly LSZ

especially when the fc guys trot the same stuff out.

No offense Vidmar but the stuff we are being feed is no different to what we were told in 2009.

We were all told Delmege and Penn clashed and they were reason for the problem. Delmege is gone yet we still have board room issues and on this occasion it has cost us Des Hasler.

We need some answers in a public open forum not one on one on the telephone.

Matabele said:
Jobs for the boys?

If zorba gets a gig is it also classed as job for the boys? or do we have a different term?

We all know you're in the Penn camp and Vid may or not be in the other camp. Why is pro Matabele better than pro Vidmar?

At least Vid puts out detail which people can digest where as you are more like a Tony Abbott with your one liners.

There's always two sides of the story until we get most of the details how can we make an informed decision?

Cambo said:
exactly LSZ

especially when the fc guys trot the same stuff out.

No offense Vidmar but the stuff we are being feed is no different to what we were told in 2009.

We were all told Delmege and Penn clashed and they were reason for the problem. Delmege is gone yet we still have board room issues and on this occasion it has cost us Des Hasler.

We need some answers in a public open forum not one on one on the telephone.

If the two private owners vote together then it is 4-3 and the leagues club and football club can be sidelined. Why hasn't this happened? Especially now that Delmege is gone?

Could Penn be the problem? They don't seem to be interested in working with Quantum any more than they did with Delmege. The only solution they ever seem to offer is they will buy the other parties out and take full control. Some people might like that idea, but I am not so sure

westbec said:
If the two private owners vote together then it is 4-3 and the leagues club and football club can be sidelined. Why hasn't this happened? Especially now that Delmege is gone?
Is he really gone?
Brad Walters smh article yesterday states 37.24% is owned by Surfside, 'a partnership between former sponsor Quantum Energy and previous co-owner Max Delmege'.

I have to say the current structure does allow for people to be voted out in the next elections. If Penn takes it all what say does anyone have. This is really a key point. What happens in the future?

swoop said:
Matabele said:
Jobs for the boys?

If zorba gets a gig is it also classed as job for the boys? or do we have a different term?

Now, let me see. A guy who played with the club, won premierships, worked in the place for 40 years and has excellent relationships with ex-players over decades and current players, including club legends and coaches, has contacts (and admittedly a few enemies) in media. Or Vidmar.

Hmmmm Tough choice.

Matabele said:
swoop said:
Matabele said:
Jobs for the boys?

Now, let me see. A guy who played with the club, won premierships, worked in the place for 40 years and has excellent relationships with ex-players over decades and current players, including club legends and coaches, has contacts (and admittedly a few enemies) in media. Or Vidmar.

Hmmmm Tough choice.

Is it classed as job for the boys? I'm not convinced by either side.

Yes, he has great relationships with players, so we vote him in on that credential? Bozo ticks all those boxes aswell and is not related to the Penns. That's my concern.

I don't know anything about Vidmar but as I said he has put his case forward unlike you with one liners.

I want what's best for the club and if Fulton was part of the mix I'd consider him before anyone else. I know he's a staunch supporter of Zorba but I don't think Bozo would just be a yes man for the Penns.

Narly said:
I have to say the current structure does allow for people to be voted out in the next elections. If Penn takes it all what say does anyone have. This is really a key point. What happens in the future?
This is indeed the question. Private ownership comes at the risk that one day a private owner will not be committed to excellence. No longer be committed to staffing the joint with quality types who understand the game and the history and culture of the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles.

That owner probably wouldn't be Penn, from what we have seen so far. But owners can sell. Who ultimately ends up in control may depend on which bored billionaire is in town splashing money around.

The other side of the equation is that the traditional model, namely the 'democratic' local football club structure, might still exist – but just not in the successful clubs. IS that what the Sharks still have? Eels?

A model that retains some safeguards for the club's cultural history, yet gives the private owners the ability to manage unfettered – that is the challenge.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
This is indeed the question. Private ownership comes at the risk that one day a private owner will not be committed to excellence. No longer be committed to staffing the joint with quality types who understand the game and the history and culture of the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles.

A model that retains some safeguards for the club's cultural history, yet gives the private owners the ability to manage unfettered – that is the challenge.

That is indeed the challenge and why we need the FC, regardless of whom is on the board!

Mark from Brisbane said:
That is indeed the challenge and why we need the FC, regardless of whom is on the board!

The independence of the Football Club and its Board is the key.

If the current blokes aren't the right blokes, that's fine, so long as they are replaced by people who will maintain the independence of the football club. Zorba, as a relative of one of the private shareholders, clearly would not be an appropriate person to have on the football club board, even if he is a life member.

The difficult part is wanting it all i.e. we would not have private ownership if we were not in such a bad state that we were going broke

No private owners = a bigger joke of a club or a broke one that is the way of the jets and bears

The challenge is to find a model where supporters feel like their "rights" are retained but where the people who invest the money are the ones who have control over, at least, the staffing

Because there's no doubt a single owner (whomever that might be) would move the licence overnight to a stadium where they could make money.

So the FC and what it stands for is essential, and if it butts heads with the MWSE Board over those issues then so be it.

I haven't waded into this argument as to be honest I don't have any information that could help, nor an opinion based on what I read in the media.

Bugger me you can't even believe what you hear and as an example a staff member (in the football dept) told me face to face last Friday lunch time that Des leaving was all crap, 6 hours later he was gone.

I doubt the truth (unless it comes from Des's mouth) will ever come out.

Amazing that the suggestion a single owner would automatically move the club goes unchallenged here, particularly given all the time and money wasted on in-fighting in recent years could have gone into lobbying for Brookvale.

The Beagles disaster showed moving a "franchise" and tacking it into another location just doesn't work. This is not the USA.

swoop said:
I don't know anything about Vidmar but as I said he has put his case forward unlike you with one liners.

I want what's best for the club and if Fulton was part of the mix I'd consider him before anyone else. I know he's a staunch supporter of Zorba but I don't think Bozo would just be a yes man for the Penns.

You could ask Bozo what he thinks of Vidmar.

Mark i am not sure that would be the case

It is a dilema. The current disfunction v some stability and loss of control

My oh my vidmar just because you tend to utilize more words in your posts doesn't mean we can't pick it off as football club spin a mile off.

Damage control at it's very best you must be very nervous in regards to the security of you position on the football club board. The writing appears to be on the wall for your faction.

Deny it as much as you want, Des haslers relationship or lack of with your chairman was the overwhelming factor in the manly clubs loss of the two time premiership coach.

Matabele said:
So just to summarise Vidmar's sonorious prose above, in answer to the question, how did he come to the board, "he was appointed by existing members (Reilly and company) as a vacancy arose". Presumably the same applies to Jonesy.

This is FC democracy.

How about you read the constitution Mata...
The constitution states that there are 6 positions on the board of the Football Club. If there are less than, or equal to, 6 nominations then all postions are filled without a vote. A vote is done if there are more than 6 nominations. Over the past few years there have been less than 6 nominations so the positions have been ratified without a vote at the AGM's. This is a FACT, not your BS Mata.

If there are more than 6 nominations in December this year then there will be a vote and the top 6 will be elected on the FC Board. It is still democratic. Just because others haven't gotten off their arse and had themselves nominated doesn't mean the process isn't democratic.

Seems to me that half the people coming on this thread have their own agendas and just want to ram their opinions down everyone's throats.

I feel like a swinging voter sitting inbetween Julia Gillard and Tony Abbott while they are both delivering their spin!

I just want the plain old truth and no agenda. I am a voting member and need to know what to do if it comes to that. I doubt i'll find it here!

It seems most people want Reilly sacked because he didn't get on with Des or Zorba. Well, Des is gone and so has Zorba whether we like it or not.

Do we know if Geoff has a problem with him? How bad could it be if we have made 3 grand finals in 5 years and won 2 of them? I know it was mainly because of our coaching staff and great players but they must have got some help from administration. There would be another 15 clubs that would love to have that problem.

If it seems Geoff may have the same problems then maybe Reilly has to go. I don't think i want Zorba on the board (even though he's Manly through and through). He may just keep stirring up old trouble.

I think Penn does deserve an extra seat on the board as he is the majority shareholder. But i don't want him to also have free rein and do whatever he likes. If he always wins 5-2 whenever a vote is taken, what's the point of having the other 2 on the board?

One other thing, how come Penn couldn't come up with another $50,000 for Des's contract during the year? That was the original sticking point. Once that agreement couldn't be reached it seemed to go on for another few months and then his price skyrocketed. I know he is putting his hard earned cash up for us but Delmege pumped in $15 million. He knew he would've had to fork out cash in order to be the majority shareholder. Sounds like he didn't want to dig too deep anymore.

Thank god we won the bloody thing to keep the cash flow coming!!!!!

I'm not abdicating that we follow this path (just read some of my previous posts on private ownership concerns) but all you need to do is look at the EPL, majority of the teams are privately owned apart from ManU which is listed on the London stock exchange and soon also on the Singapore SX.

It seems to work in the EPL however you have only seen a few teams dominate the competition and the majority are just there to make up the numbers.

OneEyedEagle said:
I'm not abdicating that we follow this path (just read some of my previous posts on private ownership concerns) but all you need to do is look at the EPL, majority of the teams are privately owned apart from ManU which is listed on the London stock exchange and soon also on the Singapore SX.

It seems to work in the EPL however you have only seen a few teams dominate the competition and the majority are just there to make up the numbers.

Can get very messy, man u are privately owned by the Glazers family who bought the club in a leveraged buy out (they only floated a small percentage of the club on the sx but remain the majority shareholders)...the glazers basically borrowed the money to buy the club but borrowed the money against the club so that the club own the debt. apparently at worst it was 700 million sterling that man u owed to the banks, same thing happened to liverpool and they almost went into liquidation, they were bought by new owners who paid the debt at the 11th hour... scary stuff

manlywarringah said:
Seems to me that half the people coming on this thread have their own agendas and just want to ram their opinions down everyone's throats.

I feel like a swinging voter sitting inbetween Julia Gillard and Tony Abbott while they are both delivering their spin!

I just want the plain old truth and no agenda. I am a voting member and need to know what to do if it comes to that. I doubt i'll find it here!

It seems most people want Reilly sacked because he didn't get on with Des or Zorba. Well, Des is gone and so has Zorba whether we like it or not.

Do we know if Geoff has a problem with him? How bad could it be if we have made 3 grand finals in 5 years and won 2 of them? I know it was mainly because of our coaching staff and great players but they must have got some help from administration. There would be another 15 clubs that would love to have that problem.

If it seems Geoff may have the same problems then maybe Reilly has to go. I don't think i want Zorba on the board (even though he's Manly through and through). He may just keep stirring up old trouble.

I think Penn does deserve an extra seat on the board as he is the majority shareholder. But i don't want him to also have free rein and do whatever he likes. If he always wins 5-2 whenever a vote is taken, what's the point of having the other 2 on the board?

One other thing, how come Penn couldn't come up with another $50,000 for Des's contract during the year? That was the original sticking point. Once that agreement couldn't be reached it seemed to go on for another few months and then his price skyrocketed. I know he is putting his hard earned cash up for us but Delmege pumped in $15 million. He knew he would've had to fork out cash in order to be the majority shareholder. Sounds like he didn't want to dig too deep anymore.

Thank god we won the bloody thing to keep the cash flow coming!!!!!

I agree, I want facts as well instead of reports from papers that might be true or false. Some people sound like they have been sitting in the wings waiting for the day that Bob Reilly slips up, knife in hand.

Instead of spreading BS, how about we get some facts and make a logical and fair decision from that. Some people on here commenting who aren't Football Club members have no right talking about this because, if a decision is made and it ends up destroying the club, you will just skulk off and say "I didn't vote, I'm not a member. It's not my fault." It will be your fault as you are fueling the fire without actually putting forward anything of value other than slurs.

PS if you slander someone publicly and it isn't true you can be sued. This is a public forum. If it is fact then it isn't slander.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8