Do we have the Forwards to match the Best in 2024

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Holy crap our fans standards and expectations have plummeted. I remember quite a few periods when (just like Panthers, Storm, Chooks, Bron's now) losing was just unacceptable.

Seems we'll accept and celebrate any kind of mediocrity these days. And I'm no different I guess.

Don't get me wrong, we'll have some decent performances again against The Tigers, Dogs and a few others, but we are going to get battered through the middles again against The Storm, Panthers, Broncos, Sharks & others who have 2023-2024 type forwards.

Is what it is though. Seems we are pretty set roster wise. Another 12th-16th finish imminent. I'm sure there will be an array of excuses as well, as we've seen rolled out for the past decade and a bit. That's what this club is now, that's our identity - apathy and excuses.
Problem or handicap for Manly again and as opposed to those other sides or current leading sides , two Manly forwards taking up some 1 .25 mil [ or possibly more ] of the cap and nowhere near giving value for money or offering the required consistency and being available for a good part of the recent 2 seasons .
Get those pair to start performing up to an expected standard and playing for the majority of the time . would make a very considerable difference

Be interesting with the best suited make up with a prop rotation and with Lodge not available for the earlier stages of next season .
Sipley on recent indications probably best off starting even if Jake reverts to prop and as an automatic starter at prop .
Would have to rate Paseka ahead of Sipley overall but in terms of a starting role and impact factor , probably still Sips starting . Bully a must coming on from the bench regardless of who is eventually available or all available prop personal eventually on deck
Realize a bit of a paradox with that reasoning with Sipley and also with the contention then when Lodge returns and hopefully able to produce his best , Sips to drop below Jake , Lodge , Paseka and Bully .
Then where Waddell and Brown and for that matter James will fit in apart from the depth factor .
Still have to come up with the best fit at 13 as well .
Certainly a bit to sort out before season 's start and then ongoing in the pack .

We have to play Jake at lock, because we don't have any alternatives I think (unless Siebold sees Brown, Waddell or Schuster in the 13).

Lodge is due back round 9 (IF, and I repeat IF there are absolutely 0 complications), then he'll need to start getting match fit (another 8-9 games at least).

Here's my attempt at the best 8-17:

08. Matt Lodge (won't be anywhere near fit)
09. Lachlan Croker (4th, 11th, 12th, 15th)
10. Taniela Paseka (off long term injury)
11. Haumole Olakau'atu
12. Josh Schuster (slow and unfit every year)
13. Jake Trbojevic (slow as sea snails)

14. GCKT
15. Josh Aloiai (off long term injury)
16. Toff Sipley
17. Ethan Bullemor

Decent bench. Depth: Waddell, Woods, Brown, B. Trbojevic, Matterson, James

I still don't get how any of that gets us closer to The Panthers ?

Holy crap our fans standards and expectations have plummeted. I remember quite a few periods when (just like Panthers, Storm, Chooks, Bron's now) losing was just unacceptable.

Seems we'll accept and celebrate any kind of mediocrity these days. And I'm no different I guess.
Not all fans standards and expectations have plummeted and accept Manly Mediocrity feathered friend

Our Legendary club Always had and will always have Great Passionate Manly People with high Winning Standards that keep the Glory flames of Manly Burning
1699397326828.png

Be interesting with the best suited make up with a prop rotation and with Lodge not available for the earlier stages of next season .
Sipley on recent indications probably best off starting even if Jake reverts to prop and as an automatic starter at prop .
Would have to rate Paseka ahead of Sipley overall but in terms of a starting role and impact factor , probably still Sips starting . Bully a must coming on from the bench regardless of who is eventually available or all available prop personal eventually on deck
Realize a bit of a paradox with that reasoning with Sipley and also with the contention then when Lodge returns and hopefully able to produce his best , Sips to drop below Jake , Lodge , Paseka and Bully .
Then where Waddell and Brown and for that matter James will fit in apart from the depth factor .
Still have to come up with the best fit at 13 as well .
Certainly a bit to sort out before season 's start and then ongoing in the pack .

We have to play Jake at lock, because we don't have any alternatives I think (unless Siebold sees Brown, Waddell or Schuster in the 13).

Lodge is due back round 9 (IF, and I repeat IF there are absolutely 0 complications), then he'll need to start getting match fit (another 8-9 games at least).

Here's my attempt at the best 8-17:

08. Matt Lodge (won't be anywhere near fit)
09. Lachlan Croker (4th, 11th, 12th, 15th)
10. Taniela Paseka (off long term injury)
11. Haumole Olakau'atu
12. Josh Schuster (slow and unfit every year)
13. Jake Trbojevic (slow as sea snails)

14. GCKT
15. Josh Aloiai (off long term injury)
16. Toff Sipley
17. Ethan Bullemor

Decent bench. Depth: Waddell, Woods, Brown, B. Trbojevic, Matterson, James

I still don't get how any of that gets us closer to The Panthers ?
Not all fans standards and expectations have plummeted and accept Manly Mediocrity feathered friend

Our Legendary club Always had and will always have Great Passionate Manly People with high Winning Standards that keep the Glory flames of Manly Burning
View attachment 25481
That's why I keep saying mate, we need more fans like you.

That's why I keep saying mate, we need more fans like you.
What we need is All Manly people focused on Making Manly Great again
All the Club Yes Man speak up and Say NO to Manly Mediocrity
All Manly people to be on the same Passionate Premiership Wining page
Passion for Winning should be our Priority
This is the Alfa Attitude that Separate's Successful clubs and Mediocre clubs

I'm a believer in sharing the love and work load during a season. You can't control the major injuries, but you can control giving an extra week off or giving players a chance to rest some niggles, it is a god send.

You build depth which you never know U just might need on the biggest stage.

Even at NRL level, I reckon just getting to the finals and as a team being fitter and carrying less injuries then Ur opponent helps.

No such thing as too much depth.

Don't get me wrong, we'll have some decent performances again against The Tigers, Dogs and a few others, but we are going to get battered through the middles again against The Storm, Panthers, Broncos, Sharks & others who have 2023-2024 type forwards.

Is what it is though. Seems we are pretty set roster wise. Another 12th-16th finish imminent. I'm sure there will be an array of excuses as well, as we've seen rolled out for the past decade and a bit. That's what this club is now, that's our identity - apathy and excuses.
@Ryan
I get what you're saying mate, but it's important to note that our forwards, fit and firing, have on a few occasions matched or even got the best of top 4 quality teams last year - our issue, however, was consistency, experienced and quality depth through injury periods, and soft mental and physical fitness during tough moments.

The consistency and fitness issues must be addressed through quality cauching, training, and development (and tbh, I have more doubts in Seibold's abilities than our forwards'!).

Re depth, and "competition for spots", our recruitment have to make small but incremental improvements considering all constraints, internal and external, in the marketplace. Having said that, browse through the following individual transactions and ask yourself, is this an upgrade for 2024, or not?

Lodge vs Keppie?
Brown vs Boyle?
Waddell vs S. Fainu*?
James vs V. Fifita?
Woods vs Tuitavake?
Schuster vs Tuilagi?

Brooks vs L. Fainu*?
Talau vs Harper?
Paulo vs Weekes*?
Arthur vs Johns?

* Whilst the Fainus (maybe Weekes) are tracking to be stars one day, we can all agree Manly is not in the position to pay through the teeth waiting for this possibility eventuating in several years from now.

Every other transaction on that list is a small win for Mestrov and Seibold.

There is always a chance. Go Manly

do we have th forwards is good question, possibly not, but plenty of workman like packs make finals and even win them

another good question is do we play a style that is succesful. while we have plenty of handling errors our style is pretty flamboyant and adds to the pain, and not at all like the contenders who look to grind out wins

we like to play in patches, and thats the whole team.
Our intensity is no where near as sustained as to needs to be

and the whiole team seems pretty cool with it.

Still would not mind Parker being given a run on an edge at least in the trials .
Waddell for that matter played his fair share or portion of games previously for Manly on an edge as well but would have to assume that he primarily being re signed more as a middle option .
Main hope of course that Shu can show that excellent form level on an edge , Burbo did show that appreciable improvement last season but maybe more as a depth option still .
Not sure what the preference would be with Brown in the pack and if he can measure up to the required i st grade standard again . Probably as a middle or who knows even as a 13 .
If the expectation is that Garrick may be in line as a start up centre , again maybe an opportune time to give Parker a go on an edge and could even make a viable bench option after two middles and probably Gordie also very much in contention no doubt .

do we have th forwards is good question, possibly not, but plenty of workman like packs make finals and even win them

another good question is do we play a style that is succesful. while we have plenty of handling errors our style is pretty flamboyant and adds to the pain, and not at all like the contenders who look to grind out wins

we like to play in patches, and thats the whole team.
Our intensity is no where near as sustained as to needs to be

and the whiole team seems pretty cool with it.
Nice summary mate - and a good perspective, as they may not have to be world beaters but simply be cpnsistent and play their part, to allow time and space for the key X factor players to strike

The off season is a chance to dream. One thing is for certain. Those that are our forwards need to work way harder this pre season. I just hope the new fitness guy is a absolute hardest task master in the NRL. Being fitter, faster and retaining some of that impact and size is the only way forward.

After a really good angle and perspective from jbb/james I thought of another key area that lines up with this thread.
Our wingers need to be able to add that thrust and punch to win us momentum as often have seen the gangly Saab and even Turbo, driven back in early tackles making it even toughter for our forwards to punch holes and win quick plays.....this tactic has maybe been the blueprint I have seen in recent seasons where opposition are happy to get into an early arm wrestle and concentrate on a MASSIVE kick/chase where we are pinned in ugly field position until that inevitable 1st error, then we see a try and the walls all crumble down.
The job of wingers these days plays a Huge part and they are a big part of where the forwards come into the game....I have seen players like To'o, Dom Young change the momentum of games with tough carries and fast plays where we struggle coming out of our end.
I will credit Turbo when he does play and basically takes a hard carry 1 off the ruck and we seem to then look dangerous but this is mid field or off an attacking set, not coming out of trouble , but his kick returns are a little lacklustre and I felt Koula at fullback at seasons end, was far superior in this department which is an area of the game not to be underestimated.

Last edited:
Do we have the Forwards to match the Best in 2024
Based on what they've done so far...er ...No. :(
How about by the end of 2024?
Er ... maybe! :wondering:
But only if some individuals improve aspects of their game, and if they all combine better than this year's pack. So, we're going to find out whether Seibold can coach!

Either way the forwards will look very different, with at least Schu, Lodge and Gordie in effect new additions, and Waddell and Aitasi James could get plenty of chance to impress while Lodge recuperates. Should be interesting, to say the least.

We have forwards to reach the top four, but not to match the top two at this time. I base this statement on the fact that the Warriors played consistently well last season and finished fourth. Our forwards can match the Warriors, although they have one of the best props in the game and a more creative hooker. Individually, I think we have a better squad than the Warriors, but they were coached well and SJ had possibly his best ever season. Bunty Afoa is missing from the prelim final team list below.

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 3. Rocco Berry 4. Adam Pompey 5. Marcelo Montoya 6. Te Maire Martin 7. Shaun Johnson 8. Addin Fonua-Blake 9. Wayde Egan 10. Mitchell Barnett 11. Jackson Ford 12. Marata Niukore 13. Tohu Harris 14. Dylan Walker 15. Jazz Tevaga 16. Bayley Sironen 17. Josh Curran. 18th man: 20. Taine Tuaupiki

Last edited:
Am I imagining it or is Jake Arthur looking a bit bigger across the shoulders?
A skilful ball-playing lock, perhaps...
Perhaps ?
Hopefully Seibold can unlock his potential as this is what Great Premiership winning coaches do to their players

The moral of the story
The Great ones are the ones that make a Great difference

One thing is for certain. Those that are our forwards need to work way harder this pre season.
What our forwards need is to be enrolled by Seibold into pre season HATE classes
Our forwards need to master the art of HATE LOSING with a Passion

This is how our forwards want to look like when they run out on the field representing
our Legendary WINNIING club
Maybe we can put this poster up on the players dressing room door @The Wheel ?
1699675836190.png

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10