Do we have a bullying culture?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
This whole situation is laughable

2 blokes put their mits up, big deal. Is hilarious to read that apparently the club is in crisis because of that, and that so many fans are buying into it

It's only been the media that has reported that players don't want to play with Hastings etc, and it has only been the media turning that around and saying that some players are prepared to play with him

For me one of the things that is quite telling in all of this is that I’ve heard nothing from either turbo. I’m a DCE fan but he’s not everyone’s cup of tea and hence the media reaction he gets. The turbos are pretty much unanimously loved. If Hastings doesn’t have their support and they’ve given no indication he does then as far as I’m concerned throw him to the wolves. They’re the heart and soul of manly for the next 10 years and two of the nicest kids you’ll ever meet. Until I hear them back Hastings then I certainly won’t feel sorry for him in the slightest because it would suggest they agree with what is happening. Footage of Jake certainly looked from my point of view like he doesn’t want to have a bar of him (cause Jake wears his heart on his sleeve)

For me one of the things that is quite telling in all of this is that I’ve heard nothing from either turbo. I’m a DCE fan but he’s not everyone’s cup of tea and hence the media reaction he gets. The turbos are pretty much unanimously loved. If Hastings doesn’t have their support and they’ve given no indication he does then as far as I’m concerned throw him to the wolves. They’re the heart and soul of manly for the next 10 years and two of the nicest kids you’ll ever meet. Until I hear them back Hastings then I certainly won’t feel sorry for him in the slightest because it would suggest they agree with what is happening. Footage of Jake certainly looked from my point of view like he doesn’t want to have a bar of him (cause Jake wears his heart on his sleeve)

Wait a god damned ****ing minute cowboy ..... I have watched actual movie picture footage of that big bastard Tom bullying his little brother Jake on the golf course ...

I hope I don’t get bullied for saying this ; ) and I hope it kind of follows the theme of the thread.. but I’ve never been a fan of our famous “No one likes us, we don’t care” catch cry as well as “Guess what, Manly hates you too!”

Why don’t I like them?

Because I can’t help but agree with opposition fans when they say things like “If you don’t care who likes you why do you always talk about it?” or responses generally to that effect. It always seemed to me like they have a point. At the wrong time it can sound like a stubborn hypocritical child that might be in denial about how much they do care and most of the time I find it perpetuates a reason for opposing fans and media to continue their contempt and hate for Manly. So yeh I thought I’d get that off my chest finally : )

I know the overwhelming majority of Manly supporters embrace it but is there anyone out there a bit ‘weird’ like me that see it only brings negativity our way?

I hope I don’t get bullied for saying this ; ) and I hope it kind of follows the theme of the thread.. but I’ve never been a fan of our famous “No one likes us, we don’t care” catch cry as well as “Guess what, Manly hates you too!”

Why don’t I like them?

Because I can’t help but agree with opposition fans when they say things like “If you don’t care who likes you why do you always talk about it?” or responses generally to that effect. It always seemed to me like they have a point. At the wrong time it can sound like a stubborn hypocritical child that might be in denial about how much they do care and most of the time I find it perpetuates a reason for opposing fans and media to continue their contempt and hate for Manly. So yeh I thought I’d get that off my chest finally : )

I know the overwhelming majority of Manly supporters embrace it but is there anyone out there a bit ‘weird’ like me that see it only brings negativity our way?

I am a fan of the "we don't care" ... not so much of the "we hate you too"

Why don’t I like them?

I agree. It’s counterproductive bull****.

Why don’t I like them?

I like it but it seems to be a security blanket for a section of the loudest. They will tear the journos to shreds on here and everywhere but as soon as they say something they agree with it's gospel

Aren’t the media devouring this with massive smiles on their faces.

There’s no team, yes that’s NO TEAM, they love putting more **** on than Manly.

AND, it’s been constant every year since we won the 2008 GF by 40 to zip!

And guilty or not we keep playing into their hands like a perfect storm.

I can’t remember ( maybe 2006) when we’ve had a year where we didn’t make the news and really flew under the radar.

I’ll never ever change my passion but boy oh boy it’s sure interesting to be a Manly fan at times!!

No we don't it's all the medias fault they bullied DCE they also bullied Willie Peters I swear it's all the medias doing and the nrl they bullied us and made us rort the salary cap.
It's also the medias fault that the most successful club since 1970 plays out of a dilapidated home ground with no improvements insight that successive club officials have had head in the sand and done very little about except those great plans we release every season.
The media is also to blame for us churning through ceo's quicker than we churn through Prime Ministers.
I also blame the media and the nrl for Penn sacking a club legend in Toovey and replacing him with Barrett.
I blame the media and the nrl for getting DCE to backflip on his deal and give him a "lifetime" deal that was a panic move by rank amateurs.
I also blame the nrl and media for the cocojoy disaster yep the media were so unprofessional signing that deal
Finally I blame the media and the nrl for hiring Bozo to "turn" the club around what a success that has been he hired half his family we get done for rorting the cap and Bozo leaves thanks for the rebuild Bozo.
I know I sleep easier blaming the nrl and the media for our decline.
Sorry, you've posted in the wrong thread. This post belongs in the excuses thread @;)

Why don’t I like them?

Exactly. Every time a potentially new supporter of League sees these "we hate you too" signs they clock we are the team no-one likes. And we shouldn't be liked cause we don't like you.

It's a dead-end attitude. It's asking fans, casual observers and journalists to not admire or like us, at our insistence.

The origin of this phrase is rooted in the 'faux jealousy' of our club's success. But these days, with match-fixing, salary cap and club scandals hitting the headlines it seems truly out of step with our current situation.

Exactly. Every time a potentially new supporter of League sees these "we hate you too" signs they clock we are the team no-one likes. And we shouldn't be liked cause we don't like you.

It's a dead-end attitude. It's asking fans, casual observers and journalists to not admire or like us, at our insistence.

The origin of this phrase is rooted in the 'faux jealousy' of our club's success. But these days, with match-fixing, salary cap and club scandals hitting the headlines it seems truly out of step with our current situation.
I don't think everybody hates us anymore (except for Greensprog) . They kinda feel sorry for us. I also don't buy that slogan of we hate you too. I just want to go back to smashing teams on the field and forget about all this nonsense. Come to think of it we need a new media liaison officer / marketing manager..

I am a fan of the "we don't care" ... not so much of the "we hate you too"

That one isn’t as bad as the second one but it still confused me as a kid.

My take on it has always been
‘If we don’t care’ I don’t know why we have to tell them? I’d give a squeels supporter more sh** if they tried that line with me so I dunno how people embrace it at Manly.

Does anyone remember those stickers from the end of the 90’s that had the Sea Eagle head and text wrapped around it saying, ‘yes I support Manly, Get over it!’ ?

I can’t find an image of them online but I stuck them on my guitars and skateboards. I was only 10yrs old or so, but even then I knew I didn’t want to look butthurt or defensive about supporting Manly. I don’t think I was a particularly self aware kid but I felt that ‘statement’ on the sticker would make Manly supporters look insecure so I cut around the text and just used the eagle. I still agree with my 10 yr old self that it perpetuates we do care so I still try to distance myself from any suggested claims that we do or don’t care
I’m starting to dribble but yeh not a fan of that kind of message to outsiders :)

That one isn’t as bad as the second one but it still confused me as a kid.

My take on it has always been
‘If we don’t care’ I don’t know why we have to tell them? I’d give a squeels supporter more sh** if they tried that line with me so I dunno how people embrace it at Manly.

Does anyone remember those stickers from the end of the 90’s that had the Sea Eagle head and text wrapped around it saying, ‘yes I support Manly, Get over it!’ ?

I can’t find an image of them online but I stuck them on my guitars and skateboards. I was only 10yrs old or so, but even then I knew I didn’t want to look butthurt or defensive about supporting Manly. I don’t think I was a particularly self aware kid but I felt that ‘statement’ on the sticker would make Manly supporters look insecure so I cut around the text and just used the eagle. I still agree with my 10 yr old self that it perpetuates we do care so I still try to distance myself from any suggested claims that we do or don’t care
I’m starting to dribble but yeh not a fan of that kind of message to outsiders :)

I think the message of "we don't care" is more saying that we are confident in who we are .... as opposed to being arrogant ....

Back to the bullying question.
There's no doubt it's been a factor in our recent history.
The whole struggle for control of the club involved massive bullying.
The sensational senior players bullied DCE.
The way Tooves was treated with leaks thrown at him on live television was a form of bullying and disrespect.
Willie Peters was very clear that he was bullied.
Bozo's 'my way or the highway, my family will have jobs' could be described thus.
And now reports suggest that pranks were played continually on Jacko despite it being clear he couldn't handle it (you have to blame the powers that be here for not putting a stop to it).
So yep, 100% good chance there's a touch of a bullying culture which has been around for many years.
BTW: does anyone remember why Siebold left?

I think the message of "we don't care" is more saying that we are confident in who we are .... as opposed to being arrogant ....

I think that was always the intention, just not the impression they (outsiders) ever got.
It's not a horrible attempt, just seems like the point misfired (perhaps over time)

Does anyone really think, logically think, DCE is a bully? Fair dinkum. As a young kid he was the one bullied and on the outer with some of my all time favourite players. They also bullied Wolfie for the 2013 GF.
There's a recent thread about how the current players pranked DCE about the choice of music and made him bust himself on the bike before training. I've seen footage of the guys hiding in bins and jumping out at Cherry making him fall over. All teams do this stuff and I think it helps with there bonding.
Every match I've managed to go to over the past 5 years, I don't get to many, but DCE has high-fived and said thanks for coming. He's an excellent public speaker and never spread blame to fellow players.
It seems like because we're in a slump and the masses don't like Croker, Hastings is on the potential season saviour list and now it's DCE's fault he's been cut.
A kid who has a track record of indiscretions at 3 clubs is the hero and our captain is the villain? DCE is the media's whipping boy and now our own fans?
This is just plain ridiculous. Manly fans need to get a grip.
As Ted Bullpit used to say "Strike me Catholic!"
This place has gone bonkers.

Does anyone really think, logically think, DCE is a bully? Fair dinkum. As a young kid he was the one bullied and on the outer with some of my all time favourite players. They also bullied Wolfie for the 2013 GF.
There's a recent thread about how the current players pranked DCE about the choice of music and made him bust himself on the bike before training. I've seen footage of the guys hiding in bins and jumping out at Cherry making him fall over. All teams do this stuff and I think it helps with there bonding.
Every match I've managed to go to over the past 5 years, I don't get to many, but DCE has high-fived and said thanks for coming. He's an excellent public speaker and never spread blame to fellow players.
It seems like because we're in a slump and the masses don't like Croker, Hastings is on the potential season saviour list and now it's DCE's fault he's been cut.
A kid who has a track record of indiscretions at 3 clubs is the hero and our captain is the villain? DCE is the media's whipping boy and now our own fans?
This is just plain ridiculous. Manly fans need to get a grip.
As Ted Bullpit used to say "Strike me Catholic!"
This place has gone bonkers.

Proper perspective, at last!

Our culture appears to be dysfunctional. To me this stems from poor management and administration at club level. This dysfunction has filtered through to the players group. Bullying is just one component of that deepseated club dysfunction. A change in club culture will only flow from a massive shift in the way our club is run.

Our culture appears to be dysfunctional. To me this stems from poor management and administration at club level. This dysfunction has filtered through to the players group. Bullying is just one component of that deepseated club dysfunction. A change in club culture will only flow from a massive shift in the way our club is run.
Utter bullsh1t, the Coach is the one working with the playing group on a day to day basis. It is the Coach that sets the tone, the culture. Barrett is the one responsible.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
9 7 2 72 16
8 7 1 56 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10
9 4 5 -16 8