DESperate

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
Hasler was regarded as a fine coach when he was with Manly. He brought a number of players through the ranks who have become superstars, and rarely needed to purchase established stars. I can only think of Lyon, Kennedy, Bell and Orford in the last 6-7 years.
Now that he is with the Dogs he seems to have become DESperate, and is trying to buy success.
How the Dogs can keep under the cap when paying ‘overs’ for players is a mystery that Greenturd will not investigate.
I feel sorry for Cronulla who have battled hardship to build a strong side, only to have DESpicable rip them apart.
My respect for the man disappeared when he left the club in the lurch, and took several important staff with him. Fortunately the only player he was able to poach was T-Rex – for a reported $500,000 a season. How’s that working out for you DESerter?
I’m now re-evaluating his coaching ability. If he was as good as everybody once thought why doesn’t he build from within?

Agree with every word. Its not a crime to leave a club, but hasler tried to dismantle the joint when he left. The stalking of Dave Warwick and the abuse that he subjected him to when he had the gaul to reject Des's offer to join him sticks in my mind. He clearly thought he was bigger than the club. He deserves that daily miserable morning drive out to dogsville.

Everyone should consider, Des did not build the Manly culture. That was done through many years of blood, sweat and tears of all the manly greats throughout the years giving it all to our great club. How could individual take credit for that. He was potentially one part of it no more. The culture is what Des needs at the dogs and you have to build and earn that. It doesn't just come to you. The dogs are sitting in their mess of a culture so if they want it changed they will have to earn it.

I'm surprised that the Dogs are going around apparently paying overs for every decent player going around. Manly and Melbourne have both shown that the way to sustained success is to bring your own players through the ranks. Des should know this as well as anyone.

Perhaps Des is trying to emulate the Roosters success from last year? Imo that was an aberration and the teams taking the Manly/Melbourne approach will prevail.

The Dogs will surely lose some quality junior talent over the next few years so they can pay their "superstars" like T-Rex...

sheridanstand78 said:
The behavior of the dirty dogs is well known. Not only do they pinch players they love to try and destabilize a club too. Now that Greenturd is the NRL supremo they have a green light to do this. Des can rot for all I care. Our club survived cause we are bigger than he could ever hope to be and I hope karma bites the dogs where it really hurts.

Karma to bite Dogma.

MadMarcus said:
Manly and . . . . Melbourne have both shown that the way to sustained success is to bring your own players through the ranks. Des should know this as well as anyone . . . . . .
Not trying to be picky, but are we talking about the same club, who, supported by Newscorp (Rupert $ M), paid players illegally, attracted them to the club with large 'double' contracts :mad: and 'out the back tent payments' , who had 2 premierships stripped from them, and were disabled by the NRL for a complete season ?

They even had a book written about it all, which will prob become a 'collectors item'. I'm still curious to read it. :dodgy:

We all know how Ha$ler operates.

Fifita on $850 a year / She Rex on $650 a year / Graham on $500 a year (and the list goes on).....they will ALL be backended.

De$ wants to win a GF to prove his value so the only way is to pay big dollars for big names and back end the deals, what this however means is that in about 2 or 3 years he'll have 4 or 5 superstars (taking up 75% of the cap) and a list of complete nevilles beside them.

So build up, win a premiership and then collapse in a heap (at which time he will have left to sign for the Dragons on a 2.5 Million dollar a year for 4 year deal, taking with him the staff he stole from Manly).

That's just the way Mr Despicable rolls.

I wouldn't worry, the pressure is building up on him every year he doesn't win a premiership and we all know the hard work and absolute commitment it takes to do so. You don't just get one because you are a superstar and there are plenty out there who have not won a premiership. Winning one is pure gold and not something you take for granted. I love this club and hope I can see another one this year which would just be the way to go out. Come on Manly, go for the good that I know you can achieve.

Now let me get this straight, Dogs lose Barba who would be on around $400,000-450,000, don't replace him with a name player, so they would have a bit of room in their salary cap,but next year they have signed Fifita on a reported $800,000, upgraded James Graham to around $650,000, as well as Josh Morris to probably around $400,000 and sign up a hooker from Cronulla on a reported $300,000, and are still looking for a player to replace Barba, such as Tedesco or Hiku, gee the other twenty players must be getting peanuts.

Mark from Brisbane said:
We all know how Ha$ler operates.

Fifita on $850 a year / She Rex on $650 a year / Graham on $500 a year (and the list goes on).....they will ALL be backended.

De$ wants to win a GF to prove his value so the only way is to pay big dollars for big names and back end the deals, what this however means is that in about 2 or 3 years he'll have 4 or 5 superstars (taking up 75% of the cap) and a list of complete nevilles beside them.

So build up, win a premiership and then collapse in a heap (at which time he will have left to sign for the Dragons on a 2.5 Million dollar a year for 4 year deal, taking with him the staff he stole from Manly).

That's just the way Mr Despicable rolls.

Mark i would think some are front ended i.e. the space in the cap this year from Barber leaving would be given to some of the players

From memory when we first singed up BK and Kitey we used some of the previous year cap (where we could not afford to spend the whole amount) to pay them.

Unless the NRL bans the practice (and i am not sure they could) then there is little can be done to change the fans view that some clubs are rorting the system

Peter C said:
Now let me get this straight, Dogs lose Barba who would be on around $400,000-450,000, don't replace him with a name player, so they would have a bit of room in their salary cap,but next year they have signed Fifita on a reported $800,000, upgraded James Graham to around $650,000, as well as Josh Morris to probably around $400,000 and sign up a hooker from Cronulla on a reported $300,000, and are still looking for a player to replace Barba, such as Tedesco or Hiku, gee the other twenty players must be getting peanuts.

$850K for Fifita...and don't forget $650K for She Rex with another 2 years to go.

Its very very fishy BUT as I say being done with back ended contracts, but don't worry just like Manly he'll be out of there before that scenario comes into play....its just the way that DESpicable bastard operates.

@Isz

Well if that's the system in place it should be stopped, there should be no way that you can use a previous years cap the next year.....if that was the case you could set up a scenario where you operated well under the cap for a number of years building up a super "War Chest" to buy every top player in the game for one gigantic push at a GF...jeez even Parramatta could do it....Mmmmm....maybe not!!

Mark from Brisbane said:
Peter C said:

$850K for Fifita...and don't forget $650K for She Rex with another 2 years to go.

Its very very fishy BUT as I say being done with back ended contracts, but don't worry just like Manly he'll be out of there before that scenario comes into play....its just the way that DESpicable ... operates.

@Isz

Well if that's the system in place it should be stopped, there should be no way that you can use a previous years cap the next year.....if that was the case you could set up a scenario where you operated well under the cap for a number of years building up a super "War Chest" to buy every top player in the game for one gigantic push at a GF...jeez even Parramatta could do it....Mmmmm....maybe not!!

Its not quite using last years cap to pay this years players, its more redistributing where your money gets paid.

For example, say the Dogs are 400k under the cap this year.

They have, say, Reynolds on 500k this year and next year.

They then pay Reynolds 900k this year, soaking up the free space and only 100k next year.

This means next year they would theoretically have 800k free space from the originally 400k plus what they saved on Reynolds by payng him this year.

Personally i have no problem with it but an easy way around the issue is to just make a rule that a base contract must be evenly proportioned over the course of a contract.

Peter C said:

No you have it all wrong. The rest of the players are actually paying the dogs to play along side the super stars and to be coached by the great Des. :D

Barba was on say $400k. He leaves and they don't replace him with anyone for 2014, so they are effectively playing season 2014 about $400k under the cap. The rules do allow them to carry that $400k over to the following year. And who knows which of their current players will leave at years end?

Toovey apparently about to have a GO at Ha$ler on CH10 news. Not sure if a media beat up but I am sure going to watch.

2v just gave it to The Son of Sam on 10 News for trying to sign Hiku :cool:

'He has signed everyone from every other Club, so why not Hiku' :mad: 2v was spluttering and ready to blow a gasket :p

Disco said:
Mark from Brisbane said:
Peter C said:

Its very very fishy BUT as I say being done with back ended contracts, but don't worry just like Manly he'll be out of there before that scenario comes into play....its just the way that DESpicable ... operates.

@Isz

Its not quite using last years cap to pay this years players, its more redistributing where your money gets paid.

For example, say the Dogs are 400k under the cap this year.

They have, say, Reynolds on 500k this year and next year.

They then pay Reynolds 900k this year, soaking up the free space and only 100k next year.

This means next year they would theoretically have 800k free space from the originally 400k plus what they saved on Reynolds by payng him this year.

Personally i have no problem with it but an easy way around the issue is to just make a rule that a base contract must be evenly proportioned over the course of a contract.

I see the logic, but wouldn't they lose more in tax getting paid one big year?

EagleFromMay1967 said:
MadMarcus said:
Manly and . . . . Melbourne have both shown that the way to sustained success is to bring your own players through the ranks. Des should know this as well as anyone . . . . . .
Not trying to be picky, but are we talking about the same club, who, supported by Newscorp (Rupert $ M), paid players illegally, attracted them to the club with large 'double' contracts :mad: and 'out the back tent payments' , who had 2 premierships stripped from them, and were disabled by the NRL for a complete season ?

They even had a book written about it all, which will prob become a 'collectors item'. I'm still curious to read it. :dodgy:

Even though they were cheating scum as you have quite rightly pointed out, the point stands that they did bring their own players up through the ranks to the NRL. The cheating allowed them to keep those players when they should have been forced to let some go.

Imagine how far over the cap they would have been if they had to pay overs to entice players like Smith, Slater, Inglis and Cronk to come to their club like the Dogs do?

In a few years they might write a book about the Dogs salary cap of 2014 and beyond...

HappilyManly said:
2v just gave it to The Son of Sam on 10 News for trying to sign Hiku :cool:

'He has signed everyone from every other Club, so why not Hiku' :mad: 2v was spluttering and ready to blow a gasket :p
Didn't see it but if Toovey is upset it sounds like they are very close to snaring Hiku.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6