Ch9.....5 more years

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ron E. Gibbs said:
dowdz said:
Well said. Was hoping channel 9 would of lost out. At least the clubs and players get more money.

The silver lining is that next time around Nine/Foxtel won't have any matching rights for a new deal, so everyone will start on an even footing. Just a shame we have to wait another five years.

free to air tv 'as we know it' will be completely different in 5 years time, so them withdrawing their first & last rights thing isn't exactly as big a deal as it seems. the digital path things are heading down will make it a whole new ballgame next time around, fox are aware of that and moving things forward on their behalf. With the NBN coming through, the rise of devices like tablets and smart tvs. in 5 years time, the main focus won't be on 'networks' as such. you'll probably have an NRL app on your devices / television that you click on and select live coverage / on demand coverage whenever you want and in it comes. Fox can see this and are developing whereas Nine are still in the dark, and trying to milk as much advertising $$ as they can before new technologies really dip into their main income sources.

Ron E. Gibbs said:
dowdz said:
Well said. Was hoping channel 9 would of lost out. At least the clubs and players get more money.

The silver lining is that next time around Nine/Foxtel won't have any matching rights for a new deal, so everyone will start on an even footing. Just a shame we have to wait another five years.

free to air tv 'as we know it' will be completely different in 5 years time, so them withdrawing their first & last rights thing isn't exactly as big a deal as it seems. the digital path things are heading down will make it a whole new ballgame next time around, fox are aware of that and moving things forward on their behalf. With the NBN coming through, the rise of devices like tablets and smart tvs. in 5 years time, the main focus won't be on 'networks' as such. you'll probably have an NRL app on your devices / television that you click on and select live coverage / on demand coverage whenever you want and in it comes. Fox can see this and are developing whereas Nine are still in the dark, and trying to milk as much advertising $$ as they can before new technologies really dip into their main income sources.

niccipops said:
If this is true that the Broncos are going to be playing most Friday nights, guaranteed a 7 day turnaround, the other clubs really need to act and share their thoughts with the commission.
That is extremely unfair and 15 clubs shouldn't be at a disadvantage because one team gets higher tv ratings. Ridiculous.
Some action needs to be taken but I don't know what.

But but but N'pops if you read the reports, the poor old broncos don't want to play every friday nights with guaranteed 7 day turn arounds and boom time for sponsors.

Nasty man gyngell says 'you play when i tell you!'

Yeah right, they must be hating that! :rolleyes:

Gyngell was unapologetic over his demands, adding he would like the Broncos to play every single Friday night because it sold best in Queensland.

"Why wouldn't they be on every Friday night in Brisbane?" Gyngell said. "We just bought the game."

niccipops said:
If this is true that the Broncos are going to be playing most Friday nights, guaranteed a 7 day turnaround, the other clubs really need to act and share their thoughts with the commission.
That is extremely unfair and 15 clubs shouldn't be at a disadvantage because one team gets higher tv ratings. Ridiculous.
Some action needs to be taken but I don't know what.

But but but N'pops if you read the reports, the poor old broncos don't want to play every friday nights with guaranteed 7 day turn arounds and boom time for sponsors.

Nasty man gyngell says 'you play when i tell you!'

Yeah right, they must be hating that! :rolleyes:

Gyngell was unapologetic over his demands, adding he would like the Broncos to play every single Friday night because it sold best in Queensland.

"Why wouldn't they be on every Friday night in Brisbane?" Gyngell said. "We just bought the game."

Garts said:
They should be give some sort of financial compensation through their grants being higher. Actually I think at the end of each season the no of free to air games per club should be evaluated and grants increased for those clubs that are disadvantaged.

I was thinking along those lines too Garts as the other teams will be like the poor relation as sponsors would be falling all over themselves to jump on board the Broncos bandwagon and the other teams will struggle due to the lack of regular FTA coverage.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
SAVE country football - Country rugby league is dying because it's been underfunded for years. Playing one meaningless City-Country match is not going to save bush football. There is a huge opportunity now to take at least six full-on NRL games to country towns. Wagga Wagga, Tamworth, Mudgee, Coffs Harbour, Lismore, Orange - it doesn't matter where. Fans of Sydney clubs can now plan a weekend away in the country to watch their team play.

JUNIOR development - John Grant admits the game has run on the smell of an oily rag for too long. The AFL and its GWS Giants are off to a slow start in Sydney's west but they are here for the long haul. The NRL has to use the extra funds to be as visible in schools and juniors - not just in Sydney's west but in areas such as Wagga Wagga where the AFL has made big inroads.

MEMBERSHIP drive - The NRL gets $20 million a year in contra with Channel Nine and Fox Sports. It needs to be spent on driving club membership, the fastest-growing area of the game - and it needs to continue.

These points are very important if you ask me, especially the extra funds to be as visible in schools and juniors. I worked at a State Primary School on the Gold Coast for nearly 5 years and over that time I think that I only saw the Titans once on a visit to the school where as the AFL were there every week during the AFL season with their AFL Auskick Program. The lack of NRL presence at schools needs to change if they want the game to grow as the AFL is getting a stranglehold on recruitment at this level.

Moondog said:
Unless the Bronco's are playing Manly I won't be watching Friday games for the next five years.

That's the only time that I watch Friday night Football on Nine anyway.

Garts said:
They should be give some sort of financial compensation through their grants being higher. Actually I think at the end of each season the no of free to air games per club should be evaluated and grants increased for those clubs that are disadvantaged.

I was thinking along those lines too Garts as the other teams will be like the poor relation as sponsors would be falling all over themselves to jump on board the Broncos bandwagon and the other teams will struggle due to the lack of regular FTA coverage.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
SAVE country football - Country rugby league is dying because it's been underfunded for years. Playing one meaningless City-Country match is not going to save bush football. There is a huge opportunity now to take at least six full-on NRL games to country towns. Wagga Wagga, Tamworth, Mudgee, Coffs Harbour, Lismore, Orange - it doesn't matter where. Fans of Sydney clubs can now plan a weekend away in the country to watch their team play.

JUNIOR development - John Grant admits the game has run on the smell of an oily rag for too long. The AFL and its GWS Giants are off to a slow start in Sydney's west but they are here for the long haul. The NRL has to use the extra funds to be as visible in schools and juniors - not just in Sydney's west but in areas such as Wagga Wagga where the AFL has made big inroads.

MEMBERSHIP drive - The NRL gets $20 million a year in contra with Channel Nine and Fox Sports. It needs to be spent on driving club membership, the fastest-growing area of the game - and it needs to continue.

These points are very important if you ask me, especially the extra funds to be as visible in schools and juniors. I worked at a State Primary School on the Gold Coast for nearly 5 years and over that time I think that I only saw the Titans once on a visit to the school where as the AFL were there every week during the AFL season with their AFL Auskick Program. The lack of NRL presence at schools needs to change if they want the game to grow as the AFL is getting a stranglehold on recruitment at this level.

Moondog said:
Unless the Bronco's are playing Manly I won't be watching Friday games for the next five years.

That's the only time that I watch Friday night Football on Nine anyway.

So 925 million over 5 years = 185 million per year

Grant to clubs 9 milion per year = 144 million leaves the NRL 41 million plus what they get for the yet to be negotiated rights.

Salary cap 7 million to the players

Win win all round

Grant to clubs 9 milion per year = 144 million leaves the NRL 41 million plus what they get for the yet to be negotiated rights.

Win win all round

• 👍
Reactions: Dan
Utility Player said:

Win win all round

Plus they get licensed merchandise proceeds, corporate sponsorships, ticket sales ect. Don't just look at the TV and digital rights deal as the NRL's only source of income.

Utility Player said:

Win win all round

Plus they get licensed merchandise proceeds, corporate sponsorships, ticket sales ect. Don't just look at the TV and digital rights deal as the NRL's only source of income.

WAMF said:
Utility Player said:

Win win all round

For sure but I think that that is a fair distribution at this stage. The money they get for SOO needs to be divided up more fairly so that the players get a lot more but even the NRL should be happy with the 80 odd million (the 41 plus say 20 million from SOO and another 20 million from other sources) they are left with.

They get 25 million in free advertising per year as well.

WAMF said:
Utility Player said:

Win win all round

For sure but I think that that is a fair distribution at this stage. The money they get for SOO needs to be divided up more fairly so that the players get a lot more but even the NRL should be happy with the 80 odd million (the 41 plus say 20 million from SOO and another 20 million from other sources) they are left with.

They get 25 million in free advertising per year as well.

jbb/james said:
Its in the networks interest to have no one at games, If everyone watched from home, ratings would be higher and they could charge more for advertising. To expect the networks to put the games on at times that suit people going to the footy flies in the face of there own agenda. The 200k people that attend the footy on the weekends are really not getting with the networks plan for domination.

James has this 100% spot on...we can whinge all we like, we can hate what's been agreed to, we can offer all the alternatives we like, we can protest to the highest level.

AND

It will mean Jack ****!!

In essence FOX/NINE have "bought the game" to do with it as they wish.

This has been a win/win for Players / Clubs.

And we got a small win (20 weeks in advance).

You'll all just have to learn to be happy with what we have cause "nothin" is changing!!

[/quote]

[/quote]

And this as well, spot on...things are changing and I'd agree the next set of broadcast rights won't look anything like the current one....and five years will go very quickly

jbb/james said:
Its in the networks interest to have no one at games, If everyone watched from home, ratings would be higher and they could charge more for advertising. To expect the networks to put the games on at times that suit people going to the footy flies in the face of there own agenda. The 200k people that attend the footy on the weekends are really not getting with the networks plan for domination.

James has this 100% spot on...we can whinge all we like, we can hate what's been agreed to, we can offer all the alternatives we like, we can protest to the highest level.

AND

It will mean Jack ****!!

In essence FOX/NINE have "bought the game" to do with it as they wish.

This has been a win/win for Players / Clubs.

And we got a small win (20 weeks in advance).

You'll all just have to learn to be happy with what we have cause "nothin" is changing!!

[/quote]

[/quote]

And this as well, spot on...things are changing and I'd agree the next set of broadcast rights won't look anything like the current one....and five years will go very quickly

I don't understand hating on 9 because they paid a big amount of $$$$ for a significant amount of broadcast rights. That's their business. Hate on the ARLC if you must, they are the ones who have/had the control and chose to relinquish it in exchange for a significant amount of money.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I don't understand hating on 9 because they paid a big amount of $$$$ for a significant amount of broadcast rights. That's their business. Hate on the ARLC if you must, they are the ones who have/had the control and chose to relinquish it in exchange for a significant amount of money.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

This now has to move to a new level. Deal done.The clubs need to negotiate with the league who did the deal on there behalf and signed the game away on there behalf.

Now clubs that get less exposure should get larger grants . Each TV game should be valued at maybe 150K as eg.The grant should be based at 5 mill,with an expectation that each team gets 7 free to air games per season. canberra get none they should receive 7 x 150k extra on top of 5 mill. If broncos get 20 they should get 13 x 150k deducted from the base grant.

I like this a lot

This now has to move to a new level. Deal done.The clubs need to negotiate with the league who did the deal on there behalf and signed the game away on there behalf.

Now clubs that get less exposure should get larger grants . Each TV game should be valued at maybe 150K as eg.The grant should be based at 5 mill,with an expectation that each team gets 7 free to air games per season. canberra get none they should receive 7 x 150k extra on top of 5 mill. If broncos get 20 they should get 13 x 150k deducted from the base grant.

I like this a lot

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8