Brookie first top flight rugby league ground in the world with synthetic turf

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Did a bit of research and the most used artificial turf by NFL stadiums is Fieldturf. There's even a few teams that have gone from the astro turf during the 80-90s to natural grass in the 2000's and then to Fieldturf in the last few years.

There's a few more products in the states. The Cowboys use product called Matrix Real Grass Artificial Turf. My favourite team, the New Orleans Saints use a turf called UBU-Intensity Series- S5-M Synthetic Turf. The Cincinnati Bengals are changing to this for the upcoming season after spending 8 seasons on FieldTurf.

Being in Canada, I looked up the manufacturer and they have installed the same artificial turf right near me in Toronto, http://www.ubusports.com/members/profiles/ontario.htm
so I'm going to take a ball have a kick around and slide on the stuff.

The Lingerie Football League also plays on an artificial turf not too far away in Mississauga on Sept 15th which I should check out too ;)

The Widnes Vikings play on a surface called 'i-pitch' a 4th generation product. Pretty solid reports, a few early reports by opposition for skin burns when they were playing in minus degree temps, but it doesn't look like they have any problem sliding for tries in the wet on the stuff - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSKdo4BvoFM

Seems like the future, to me.
I also like the idea of the turf being coloured maroon, with white line markings!

Sounds like another way for Warringah Council to avoid doing proper maintenance. Instead of something "revolutionary" (is it really?), why don't they just put down proper turf and look after it? The more I hear from these idiots, the more convinced I am that they simply want to drive the Eagles away from Brookvale.

That stuff at stobart looks pretty real. I think synthetic surfaces are the future for all sports probably Barr cricket.

I am surprised Anz and ethiad stadiums haven't gone down that track yet.

Cameron said:
That stuff at stobart looks pretty real. I think synthetic surfaces are the future for all sports probably Barr cricket.

I am surprised Anz and ethiad stadiums haven't gone down that track yet.

Playing on a synthetic wicket is pretty meh, couldn't imagine the entire field made of that garbage

It's used in football fields all around the world to play the round ball game. Cromer park has just installed some on the peninsular. Other soccer fields in Sydney include sutherlands home ground, blacktown and now Apia leichhardt are installing it. If soccer players are sliding around on it, diving for free kicks, diving goal keepers, then it can't be too bad. FK vardar have installed something state of the art at their philip II stadium that's apparently the same stuff used at emirates stadium (I'm assuming in England). That cost was 3.5m euro. Hopefully the council invests in the best stuff possible.

Austalia played the USA in a test on astro turf at phillie's Franklin Field in 2004.

The current brookie grass isn't conducive to fast open footy. Just this past weekend in the manly and parra game there were only 64 points scored. Oh wait..

Couple of points:

What happened to the naming rights proposal that could have helped pay for the ongoing upkeep of the ground? That proposal was approved by Council about two years ago.

How long would this synthetic surface last before it too had to be replaced?

jabroni said:
It's used in football fields all around the world to play the round ball game. Cromer park has just installed some on the peninsular. Other soccer fields in Sydney include sutherlands home ground, blacktown and now Apia leichhardt are installing it.

Seymour Shaw. Apparently it is a lot different to play on compared to real turf (duh, Wolfpack) & the bounce of the ball in particular can make it hard for players to adjust. SFC played a friendly at Seymour Shaw last year & looked absolutely gash on that surface. Artifical turf isn't allowed in most leagues either, Hamilton Accies had to returf their pitch when they got into the SPL a few seasons ago.

Honestly I'm not sure if it would be great in Rugby League. Probably the closest thing to it that we've seen would be the Eden Park pitch when we played the Warriors in rnd 1. Besides, if Warringah Council are too cheap to keep the existing surface maintained then it's unlikely that they'll shell out for a whole new (expensive) pitch.

Something else to consider is that in the NFL most players seem to prefer playing in stadiums with real grass rather than fieldturf.

Well if the council renovations to the Jane Try stand are anything to go by we should have to the new synthetic surface by 2023 season

Good call Wheel, just in time for Buhrer's, K. Foran's and DCW's farewell season with the Club, before retiring after winning their fifth premiership together under Geoff Toovey's coaching.

Phantar said:
Good call Wheel, just in time for Buhrer's, K. Foran's and DCW's farewell season with the Club, before retiring after winning their fifth premiership together under Geoff Toovey's coaching.

And with club legend Beaver Menzies (after serving a lengthly apprenticeship) ready to take over the head coaching position with Tooves moving to Chairman :D

I can't help thinking this is just another band-aid solution for Brookie. Until we get the millions needed to bring it into line with modern day standards then I'll continue to think Brookie's days are numbered and news like this are merely a publicity stunts.

I can't see that properly maintaining a synthetic ground would be cheaper than grass. Those websites and nfl teams dont make it seem a cheap option. What is it with warringah council? They have been a rabble for 40 years!

My theory on what has happened. An artificial turf company has put some turf down at Beverley job, and has put a proposal to warringah council. The assorted real estate agents and wedding celebrants that comprise the councillors get taken by the short term savings, with no idea on whether the surface is actually appropriate. Now it's a news story. Yet another brookie oval sideshow.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8